User Tag List

Thread: BSL Proteins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got my MPI in.

However, I see no scoop.

What particular device does a man need to acquire exactly 28 grams of this oh so fine powder?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure but your gonna need an oh so fine blender

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me gots a Vita-Mix. Bow down to its glory....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poohbaya' date='Mar 3 2004, 01:02 PM
    I just got my MPI in.

However, I see no scoop.

What particular device does a man need to acquire exactly 28 grams of this oh so fine powder?

Thanks!
    A digital postal scale works great for me.

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly 28g, hmm a tall order w/o a digital scale, or you could be close with a 1/4 cup, sorry about the minus scoop it was a mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many grams in 1/4 of a cup? Rounded or level?

Not a problem about the lack of scoop! I'll make due just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never get correct lab measurements. If I were graded on accuracy, I would have failed my orgo labs miserably.

That said, I think with the MPI, you are better off going with about

1/3 cup ~ 28 grams(providing 25 grams MP)

I use the BSL milk isolate now and that is the data I am coming up with using a simple scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poohbaya' date='Mar 3 2004, 06:50 PM
    How many grams in 1/4 of a cup? Rounded or level?

Not a problem about the lack of scoop! I'll make due just fine.
    Generally, 28grams = 1/4 cup (this is 28 total grams however, not necessarily 28 protein grams w/ flavoring and such).
    I'm all about my cake, I'm tryin' to marry betty crocker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is interesting. I took measurements again using both milk and now soy protein isolate (both from BSL).

I still get 1/3 cup ~ 28 grams (actual mass measurement, not g protein)

and

1/4 cup ~ 20 grams (actual mass measurement)

This is roughly the same whether I use soy or MPI. All of mine are unflavored with nothing added. Maybe that is the difference.

I would have also bet money the last time I checked the old customizer site, it said 1/2 cup ~ 38 grams and 1/3 cup ~ 25 grams(roughly, and this is actual grams protein I think not total mass). Oh well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A scooper is NEVER accruate. You can skim the top and fill a sccoper or PACK the scooper densely, the difference can be 10gms of protein or more.

You want accuracy?

Get a digital scale (its always nice to have one accurate to .01 mg) accu-lab make good scales.

Get a pyrex cooking measuring cup. Weigh it. Fill it with 1/3 to 1/4 cup of your protein and weigh it.

Now minus the empty cup from the scooped protein.

You wanted accuracy? Doesnt get better than that.

Well there are better ways but thats the best in terms of cost/time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys. I actually have a 28.5 gram scoop from a tub of other protein. This may work. If not, then I'll go with the 1/3 cup measurement. I may get a scale in the future.

Again, thanks to all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For un-flavored MPI, I get a measurement of right at 28g (of powder), using a level 70cc scoop (like from a tub of Optimum), so long as the protein powder is packed densely.

FYI, a 1/4-cup ~ 60cc, and a 1/3-cup ~ 80cc.
    Driven Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I am just going to use my scale for a while as I once again have proven my inability to measure physical quantities with accuracy. Hopefully I don't screw that up. Glad I prefaced my first response with that little caveat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:20 PM
    Lol, I am just going to use my scale for a while as I once again have proven my inability to measure physical quantities with accuracy.
    Cardinal, your measurements are not necessarily wrong at all. As BrookylnJuice explained above, mass measurements on "fluffy" powders (like protein) will vary greatly with how densely the powder is "packed" into the measuring device. So if you scooped up some protein with your measuring cup and just skimmed off the top to level it, the numbers you measured are probably right on.

But if you had "packed" the protein in like I did, when I took measurements, your mass readings would have likely been higher.

What I did was to scoop up some protein to the point that the powder is heaped well over the top of the measuring cup. Then, with the cup still inside the jug of protein powder, I press the heaped powder up against the side of the container, in order to pack it down densely inside the measuring cup. I then skim all the remainder off the top (to level it) by brushing the top of the cup against the mouth of the jug holding the protein powder, as I pull the cup out of the container. The result is a leveled-off measuring cup that is packed down densely with protein powder.

I don't know if I described that very well, as it's kind of hard to put into words. It is much easier to show someone visually. But the result is fairly consistent measuring. When I took mass measurements on the MPI powder last night, I weighed three separate samples, each taken using this procedure. All three of the measurements varied by less than 0.5g (I believe the high was ~28.14g and the low was ~27.66g).

Whereas if you don't pack the powder down densely into the measuring cup, and simply level it off instead, you are likely to get greater variation in your measurements, depending upon how densely the powder "settled" when you scooped it up.

So your measurements were not wrong, but they may vary a little bit more from one sample to the next, depending upon how densely you packed the powder when you scooped it up. At the end of the day, it really doesn't make much of a difference, because if one time you scoop up (say) 3g more protein than another time, it is no big deal on your overall nutritional intake.
    Driven Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my electronic scale using one of the ON scoops, a packed level scoop measures 28g. How much of the 28g is protein is dependent on flavoring additives.

- Fletch

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:red"><a href="http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?act=paysubs&CODE=index" target="_blank">Join M&M's Inner Circle NOW!
    </a>
    </span></span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Impact">GToctane.com</span></span> - <span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Your Source for Automotive Performance Parts & Custom Accessories</span></span>

Thread Information