User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default speeding up food intolerance/allergy recovery?

Hey,

Apparently I've had an egg intolerance for a while, which may have progressed into a full blown allergy or may just be a severe intolerance-- I haven't been tested, so I'm not entirely sure. I've been having a lot of stomach problems for the last 2 years, and for one reason or another I never tried eliminating eggs until recently. I guess I figured since I had always ate a lot of eggs throughout my life with no problems that it couldn't have been the eggs. I tried eliminating just about everything else, I tried all sorts of different fiber, probiotics, herbal supplements, etc. Now that I have eliminated eggs I have consistently solid stools for the first time in a very long time, plus several other intangible benefits like mood, energy, etc.

I realize that I've probably done a lot of damage by continuing to eat something that I was intolerant to for so long. Anything acidic like soft drinks, apples, oranges, etc goes right through me (or did while I was still eating eggs, I haven't tried again yet because I want to wait longer to heal up). Same with a few different things like protein powders and also very spicy foods.

My question is: What can I do to speed up the recovery? Also, is there any benefit to regularly rotating foods to avoid new intolerances/allergies, or is this mostly an old wive's tale? I can't find any science to back up rotation diets.

I've been egg-free for a little over a week.

Here's what I am currently taking for my stomach:
    L-Glutamine - 15 grams (split into 3 doses)
    Bovine Colostrum - 10 grams (split into 2 doses)
    Slippery Elm - 4 grams (split into 2 doses)
    Psyllium Husk - 6 grams (split into 2 doses)

I also take fish oil, a multi, vitamin d, magnesium, and some other basic stuff. Before I realized it was the eggs, I ran through various elimination tests on all of my supplements, so I've got that part covered.

I've bought some mastic gum, DGL licorice, and marshmallow root that I'll try adding in one at a time. I am also looking at a product called "GI Revive" that has a mix of a ton of different ingredients in it and some very solid reviews. It looks overpriced but I am willing to pay for superior products that will help me, and I'd probably only need to take it for 1-3 months. Here is a link to the ingredient list:
    http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/GI-...FH_p_1006.html

A couple obvious things are missing from my supplement list: probiotics and digestive enzymes. I found that probiotics (RPN's "Gut Health") actually made my condition a lot worse when I took them during my egg-eating days. Digestive enzymes (Enzymedica's Digest Gold) had the same effect towards the end. I haven't tried either of these yet since being egg-free, but I realize that both of them will probably be needed.

My current diet is very simple. Each meal consists of:
    1) meat/fish
    2) a vegetable/fruit (nothing acidic)
    3) some oil
    4) nuts or another vegetable/fruit

No dairy, wheat, etc.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions I'd love to hear it, especially if you've been down this road before. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok just a quick update on this, I am now able to tolerate digestive enzymes again (1 cap Enzymedica's Digest Gold before each meal). I don't like changing multiple things at once so I'm going to let this change "stabilize" for a few days before changing anything else. As of now I am thinking next up I will either add either marshmallow root, mastic gum, GI revive, or a probiotic (eyeing Jarrow's Sacharomyces Boulardii). The lining of my stomach is probably still pretty torn up so I am thinking I'll add in the others before trying probiotics again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I have done supplement wise is always take digestive enzymes (I use now or Gaia) and probiotics. Gut health is really good but i had to double dose it to get my digestion issues good.
    Eat enough. Don't diet or be in a caloric deficiet.
    If you workout eat some carbs, skin less baked or boiled sweet potatoes seem to be tolerated by most but some do better on white rice asa Glucose replenished. This would be mainly to prevent thyroid and metabolic slow down from lack of carbs in the diet whist exercising. If you don't lift full on ketosis might be. Good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, something weird is going on here.

I went ahead and tried Jarrow's Sacharomyces Boulardii after I had given myself a few days on the digestive enzymes to ensure they weren't going to cause a problem. The SB gave me bad diarrhea and pretty awful fatigue, I only lasted 2 days. It's said to be a product that prevents diarrhea.

I have also noticed that I get a similar reaction to beer, although much more severe. If I drink a couple pints of beer, that night I'll have feverish night sweats and then starting the next day I'll feel a pretty huge immune response-- nausea, itchy/burning eyes, diarrhea, clogged sinuses, difficult to think straight.

I'm wondering if its a sensitivity to yeast since the Jarrow product is also a yeast-containing product, but there's so much overblown hysteria about yeast so I'm very skeptical. It could just be that my stomach is too sensitive at this point for alcohol or pre/probiotics. I guess I'll try drinking a couple ounces of some type of alcohol with no (or much lower) yeast content and see if I get the same reaction. If not, it could still be the hops or barley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds similar to a histamine response.
    Histamine is present in fermented foods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseXan View Post
    It sounds similar to a histamine response.
    Histamine is present in fermented foods.
    Hmmmm very interesting, thank you, I had not considered this at all. That would make sense in regards to the eggs as well. I might just have a histamine intolerance, which I guess is treatable with an altered diet, anti-histamines, or additional enzymes although I haven't looked into it at all yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Carnosine and also Beta-alanine supplements. There are some polyphenol containing foods that regularly taken seem to help a lot. Gamma-tocopherol and R-Lipoic acid may help. Raw carrots, berries and apples. Take these with cod-liver oil as well. These are some starting suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard of such allergies before.. i wonder if i have any of those in me?? how do you diagnose that you arent affected by such type of enzymical reactions??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ippon View Post
    Hey,

Apparently I've had an egg intolerance for a while, which may have progressed into a full blown allergy or may just be a severe intolerance-- I haven't been tested, so I'm not entirely sure. I've been having a lot of stomach problems for the last 2 years, and for one reason or another I never tried eliminating eggs until recently. I guess I figured since I had always ate a lot of eggs throughout my life with no problems that it couldn't have been the eggs. I tried eliminating just about everything else, I tried all sorts of different fiber, probiotics, herbal supplements, etc. Now that I have eliminated eggs I have consistently solid stools for the first time in a very long time, plus several other intangible benefits like mood, energy, etc.

I realize that I've probably done a lot of damage by continuing to eat something that I was intolerant to for so long. Anything acidic like soft drinks, apples, oranges, etc goes right through me (or did while I was still eating eggs, I haven't tried again yet because I want to wait longer to heal up). Same with a few different things like protein powders and also very spicy foods.

My question is: What can I do to speed up the recovery? Also, is there any benefit to regularly rotating foods to avoid new intolerances/allergies, or is this mostly an old wive's tale? I can't find any science to back up rotation diets.

I've been egg-free for a little over a week.

Here's what I am currently taking for my stomach:
    L-Glutamine - 15 grams (split into 3 doses)
    Bovine Colostrum - 10 grams (split into 2 doses)
    Slippery Elm - 4 grams (split into 2 doses)
    Psyllium Husk - 6 grams (split into 2 doses)

I also take fish oil, a multi, vitamin d, magnesium, and some other basic stuff. Before I realized it was the eggs, I ran through various elimination tests on all of my supplements, so I've got that part covered.

I've bought some mastic gum, DGL licorice, and marshmallow root that I'll try adding in one at a time. I am also looking at a product called "GI Revive" that has a mix of a ton of different ingredients in it and some very solid reviews. It looks overpriced but I am willing to pay for superior products that will help me, and I'd probably only need to take it for 1-3 months. Here is a link to the ingredient list:
    http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/GI-...FH_p_1006.html

A couple obvious things are missing from my supplement list: probiotics and digestive enzymes. I found that probiotics (RPN's "Gut Health") actually made my condition a lot worse when I took them during my egg-eating days. Digestive enzymes (Enzymedica's Digest Gold) had the same effect towards the end. I haven't tried either of these yet since being egg-free, but I realize that both of them will probably be needed.

My current diet is very simple. Each meal consists of:
    1) meat/fish
    2) a vegetable/fruit (nothing acidic)
    3) some oil
    4) nuts or another vegetable/fruit

No dairy, wheat, etc.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions I'd love to hear it, especially if you've been down this road before. Thanks in advance.
    Try to eat you're meals in no less than 45 minutes on clock chew verry well.You willl see a big difference.
    Also try to limit only to one or two meals per day forst 2 weeks with gym break!!
    Be well!
    You're plain skinny and you're plain Fat..but i'm both..i'm skinny -fat!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do yu mean your meals should take less than 45 minutes to eat? are you saying take 2 weeks off from the gym and only eat 1 or 2 meals a day? sounds like a recipie for muscle loss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man do u want to cure or not?you will see that you will not loose that much muscle mass,u have to give a break to you re digestive system,that is what most b.b don't understand.. we are not design to eat and train like this so from time to time we have to take short breaks!!in those 2 weeks try to meditate forget about stress and relax..
    You're plain skinny and you're plain Fat..but i'm both..i'm skinny -fat!!

Thread Information