User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AZ geographically; VA and London mentally
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teknoslam View Post
    very impressive #s. 305 for 5 while weighing 190 is no joke. how tall are you?
    Thanks man. I'm 5'9.5" but I have a 6'3" wingspan so I've got that working against me haha. Helps with deadlifts though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Like short sleeves, I bare arms

Applied Nutriceuticals FORUM REP
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monday 3.26.12

Seemed to be feeling slightly better today - more energy, fewer flu-ish symptoms - though my appetite is still nonexistent. Had a buddy in town and made the decision to get my workouts back on track by skipping legs and moving on to back. I hate missing legs.

Back - Volume
    Bent Over Row (Smith Machine)*: 160 x 12 x 12, 140 x 11, 110 x 12
    Seated High Cable Pulldown (close grip): 205 x 12, 205 x 12, 215 x 12
    Seated Cable Row (wide grip): 200 x 12 x 12 x 10
    Lat Pulldown: 190 x 12 x 12 x 12
    Cable Pullover + Pull-up (super set): 3 sets
    Abs: 5 sets

* assumes bar weight is zero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulders day went fairly well, all things considered. I was only able to get in around 800 kcal from dinner last night through the start of my workout, so i was feeling flat and a bit lightheaded. I still weighed in at 190.0, so my body hasn't thrown in the towel yet. Since I missed strength day last week, I varied up my rep range a little.

Shoulders - Strength/Volume
    Seated BB Military Press: 205 x 8, 210 x 7 x 6
    Seated DB Military Press: 85s x 7 x 6 x 7
    Seated DB Side Lateral Raise: 35s x 12 x 10 x 10
    Standing Unilateral DB Raise: 35 x 10 x 10
    Cable Upright Row: 150 x 12 x 10
    *superset with*
    Standing Press on Calf Raise: 60 x 12 x 10
    Shrugs: 5 sets

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll follow along. Im kinda jumping in the middle but it looks like you're cutting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to have you along for the ride. I am really supposed to be doing a recomp/clean bulk, but I've been dealing with flu-ish symptoms for a week that have essentially turned it into a temporary cut.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah View Post
    Happy to have you along for the ride. I am really supposed to be doing a recomp/clean bulk, but I've been dealing with flu-ish symptoms for a week that have essentially turned it into a temporary cut.

My cut normally turns into a recomp but thats because I get lazy. Hope you feel better soon my friend! I hate being sick.
    Last edited by TheWon; March 28th, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wednesday 3.28.12

Off. Crippling depression over the past 48 hours. I have struggled with severe clinical depression since I was a very young teenager - usually it hangs around in the background, but every so often if flares up and swallows me. I am neither asleep nor awake. Work and personal life feel nightmarish, but I am unable to discern if this is the root cause or a byproduct of my psychological state.

3/28/12 Wednesday "Eclipse"

Where did it all go so wrong? Trapped in this infinite shadow, starved of your sunlight. Leaves wilting, branches decaying, bark rotting. My boughs creak as I scream for release.

My subconscious fights on your behalf. Combing the database of grey matter for every recollection. Stringing together fragments of memory into nocturnal slideshows. My heart weeps, a black hole for emotion. I stumble forth in an anhedonic stupor, empty and drained of spirit. Praying for the sun to reemerge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thursday 3.29.12

Made it into the gym for triceps and reveled in the mental isolation the workout provided. My numbers were decent but nothing special. It seems that my appetite is returning, but I have absolutely no food in the house and have been scavenging on the ancient stuff tucked into the corners of the fridge and pantry. I simply have not had the energy to get to the grocery store, as sad as that sounds. I finally forced myself to do a rapid run for essentials this evening: 93/7 ground beef, albacore tuna, oatmeal bread, brown rice, eggs, apples, unsweetened almond milk.

Triceps - Volume
    Close Grip Bench Press: 225 x 12, 225 x 10, 225 x 8 dropset 135 x 12
    Weighted Dip: 65 x 10, 65 x 9, 55 x 9
    Kneeling Cable Overhead Extension: 145 x 15 x 15 x 12
    Cable Skull Crusher: 115 x 12 x 12 x 12
    Cable Reverse Grip Tricep Extension: 100 x 12 x 12 x 12

Yesterday my shoulders were far more sore than usual following a shoulder workout. I could still feel a little fatigue holding me back on close grip and dips. This is almost guaranteed to be a result of my hypocaloric diet over the past week.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about the depression issue my brother. I'm glad you made it into the gym that's probable one of the best things you can do in your situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWon View Post
    Sorry to hear about the depression issue my brother. I'm glad you made it into the gym that's probable one of the best things you can do in your situation.
    Thanks man. Today has been much better so far, and my appetite also seems to have returned, so I am optimistic about my upcoming workouts. My triceps are beginning to get a little DOMS, which really only happens if I move through my workout at a fast pace and am diligent about staying in my target rep ranges.

My buddy gave me a tub of Promera Beta-Cret, so I plan to begin using that pre-workout. The formula looks very solid. My only complaint is that the proprietary blend hides the doses of beta alanine, COP, and creatine hcl, so I don't know if I need additional supplementation on top of this product. Chances are the answer is yes. I was pleased to see that the caffeine content is listed, though (125 mg/scoop). Nothing worse than slamming a stimulant only to find out that you just ingested 10 mg of yohimbine and 400 mg of caffeine.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id be willing to bet at very least need to add some bulk BA and creatine. I hate those damn prop blends but guess I can under stand why companies use them in pre workout products.

Btw I caught up on your pervious posts in this log. I really like your training style. I tried PHAT training and it was just to much as I don't like training muscle groups more then once every 6-7 days. I like how you do a power week followed by a hypertrophy week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWon View Post
    Id be willing to bet at very least need to add some bulk BA and creatine. I hate those damn prop blends but guess I can under stand why companies use them in pre workout products.

Btw I caught up on your pervious posts in this log. I really like your training style. I tried PHAT training and it was just to much as I don't like training muscle groups more then once every 6-7 days. I like how you do a power week followed by a hypertrophy week.
    Thanks, bro. I originally built my routine around Layne's hybrid plan back in 2004 and over the years have personalized it further.

Saturday 3.31.12

Legs - Volume
    Barbell Squat: 315 x 5, 315 x 5, 315 x 4
    Hack Squat (neutral stance): 250 x 12, 260 x 12, 260 x 12
    Hack Squat (narrow stance): 190 x 12, 190 x 12
    Leg Press: 450 x 12 x 12
    Prone Hamstring Curl: 130 x 12 x 11, 120 x 10

My lower back was giving me problems two nights ago, but it was feeling reasonable enough this morning to hit legs without any reservations. I started out the morning by performing the pre- squat hip mobility MWOD and i really enjoyed it. During my second set of squats, on the 4th rep, I felt a painful spasm in my lumbar spine but was able to finish the set. I was a bit hesitant on the third set and ended up doing only 4 reps.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the modifications you have made.

Ugh... Lower back pain on leg day is the worst!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick update from my phone after a rather hectic day. I ended up jamming my finger over the weekend, the same finger I royally messed up 7 weeks ago when i crushed it between two dumbbells. It never really felt healed, and today it was swollen to double its normal size, had turned blue and purple, and could not be bent. It also appeared all weird and twisted and caused me agonizing pain when it so much as brushed up against an object. My physician sent me for additional x rays and speculated that I had torn ligaments if they x rays turned up negative. I somehow still managed to get in to the gym for a decent chest workout.

Chest - Volume
    Flat Barbell Bench Press: 275 x 10, 265 x 10, 245 x 9
    Incline DB Press: 90s x 10 x 8, 85s x 8, 75s x 10
    Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press: 250 x 15 x 12 x 10
    *superset with*
    DB Pullover: 55 x 12, 65 x 12, 65 x 12
    Cable Flyes: 2 sets each at high, middle, low height

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wednesday 4.04.12

I took yesterday off, but was back in the gym this morning for back day. My disfigured digit, while still causing me quite a bit of pain, didn't hold me back in any way during my workout.

Back - Strength
    Deadlift: 345 x 8, 345 x 7, 345 x 7
    Lat Pulldown: 230 x 8, 240 x 8, 240 x 8
    Seated Cable Row (low; wide grip): 210 x 12, 215 x 12, 215 x 12
    Seated Cable Row (high; close grip): 215 x 10, 215 x 10
    *superset with*
    Pullups: x 10 x 8
    Abs: 2 sets

I have maxed out the weight on my favorite back exercises on the cable equipment. I have found these movements to be too effective to drop them from my strength day, even though I am hitting rep ranges that exceed my target. Some thought will be given to how I can change things up. Other than that, I was satisfied with this workout. Deadlifts felt rock solid. I was a bit hesitant given the lower back issues that have lingered through the week, but I believe I made it through the workout without aggravating it. I did notice that my upper back was more tight than usual, almost certainly a result of me slacking on foam rolling this week. I got away with it today, but need to be diligent in the future if I want to continue to improve in this lift and stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFK - loving the intensity. Hope the depression is easing off (i like that you addressed it by writing in a creative way, i find that it really helps to find SOME form of release when in a state like that). I'm in the same boat. are you rx'd anything for it? Doc adding wellbutrin, tomorrow day 1. we'll see how it goes.

As far as the log goes - any particular goals in mind for your routine?

If you don't mind me asking - what are your 1RM on the big lifts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teknoslam View Post
    GFK - loving the intensity. Hope the depression is easing off (i like that you addressed it by writing in a creative way, i find that it really helps to find SOME form of release when in a state like that). I'm in the same boat. are you rx'd anything for it? Doc adding wellbutrin, tomorrow day 1. we'll see how it goes.

As far as the log goes - any particular goals in mind for your routine?

If you don't mind me asking - what are your 1RM on the big lifts?
    Thanks man. I do quite a bit of writing as an outlet for emotions. While lifting generally allows me to disconnect from the rest of the world, writing is the opposite - it puts me intimately in touch with the world and forces me to confront it. I've been prescribed Wellbutrin recently but pretty much stopped using it as of last April. It tended to help with motivation and energy but exacerbated my compulsivity and made me sweat like a dope fiend in need of a fix. I hope it works for you.

I haven't maxed out in any lift in maybe 8 years, so i can only guess at my 1RM. I would say maybe 335/375/415 for bench/squat/deadlift, all raw. I tend to have more impressive 8-10 rep strengths, probably a combination of my training style and individual ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on a brief hiatus while down in Scottsdale on vacation. I did a bit of lifting at the resort gym, but due to limitations of equipment and my personal need to give my body a bit of a rest, the workouts weren't anything special. Most of my time was spent reading poolside. I am pretty sure that half of the people who were reading at the pool were reading "The Hunger Games". That seemed kind of ridiculous to me. Despite the sun and respite from the office, I was in a depressed state for much of the time. I managed to scrawl a few lines while reflecting on life:

I conceived a dream, gestated in my mind's womb for nine years. Nourished on whimsy and hope. Antimatter to the bleak particles that constitute the shadowed world of adulthood. Heir to a kingdom governed by romance and truth.

But somewhere the pregnancy went awry - a necrotic placenta pumping toxins to the heart of the foetus. I could sense my insides rotting. The life force of my unborn vagary, dimming. No longer could I feel the kick, hear the pulse. It is killing us both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]I've been on a brief hiatus while down in Scottsdale on vacation. I did a bit of lifting at the resort gym, but due to limitations of equipment and my personal need to give my body a bit of a rest, the workouts weren't anything special. Most of my time was spent reading poolside. I am pretty sure that half of the people who were reading at the pool were reading "The Hunger Games". That seemed kind of ridiculous to me. Despite the sun and respite from the office, I was in a depressed state for much of the time. I managed to scrawl a few lines while reflecting on life:
    Sorry to hear about this depression of yours, brother. But I see that your writing, inspired by your emotions, is quite beautiful. Much of the great literature has been inspired by despair and hopelessness, so it is not all bad. I would say that the best way to get over depression (at least, for me.) was realizing how you're the whole Universe and not just a small part of it.

Here are some great videos that I hope will inspire you and get back on track.

As for Hunger Games I can see the allure; it's a bit like Lost just in book and movie version, and it has many interesting themes. Something I noticed when I watched the movie (to which I became absolutely enthralled... I am like that watching movies is a bit like giving me a shot of IV methamphetamine, FWIW) is the coveted critique of the 21st century obsession with idolizing and the massive amount of pretending you see in Hollywood, for instance. People act a certain way for people to like them and thus get sponsors or people that will invest in them, but outside of that framework they are completely different people. As Chomsky's book Manufacturing Consent speaks about it is quite clear that media has a huge effect on people's lives, and the fact that most of it is illusionary and not reflective of how things are in reality is a problem that many people are unable to see.

Videos:

I hope that helps, and know that you can always contact me if you wish to speak.

Best of luck,
    - A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time firing up Tapatalk 2 and so far I am impressed. Definitely a great tool for browsing forums on a mobile device.

Getting in a solid chest workout was tremendously therapeutic. My schedule is very chaotic this month with vacation, travel for conferences, wedding festivities, etc so hopefully I am able to maintain some semblance of a regular lifting routine.

Chest - Strength
    Barbell Flat Bench Press: 305 x 6, 310 x 4, 310 x 4, 300 x 5
    Dumbbell Incline Press: 100s x 8 x 7 x 7
    Hammer Strength Press: 190 x 8, 210 x 8, 220 x 8
    Dumbbell Pullover: 75 x 10 x 10
    Abs: 3 sets

I have been off of all forms of creatine for about ten days now, and it had less of an impact on my workout than I expected. Even more startling was that my week of hypocaloric eating while on vacation didn't sap my strength and endurance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information