User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DAA + Baking Soda

So upon WW7's suggestion, I started mixing some baking soda into my DAA to help with sides, specifically stomach upset. Lo and behold, it works exceptionally well.

I just received 200g of bulk DAA from the M&M store, and mixed in 100g of baking soda and 100g of Crystal Lite natural flavoring. I'm using 12g of this mix a day (6g DAA). A nice side benefit from adding in the baking soda is that you get a drink that's slightly fizzy.

What exactly is the mechanism here that is making it more GI friendly? Is it simply the adjustment of pH, or is it actually changing the DAA into another substance? And is it making it more (or less) absorbable? I have read some stuff via Google, but it's hard to sort out the good info from the brotelligence.

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

2. Thanks Josh thanked for this post
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The baking soda buffers the acid in the DAA. So perhaps the acid is what bugs you?

The saltiness gets to me when mixed with baking soda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaWd View Post
    The baking soda buffers the acid in the DAA. So perhaps the acid is what bugs you?
    Dunno. I should be more specific - it's not heartburn or anything like that, it's diarrhea/loose stools.
    The saltiness gets to me when mixed with baking soda.
    This sounds like it's being converted into another substance then... acid + base = salt + water IIRC.

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reacting the soda with the acid leaves salt ions from the soda, plus the leftover part of the DAA molecule not reacted. Not sure that acid always leads to heartburn situations, but most of us who have taken DAA agree that it can be rather harsh on the belly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    Dunno. I should be more specific - it's not heartburn or anything like that, it's diarrhea/loose stools.

This sounds like it's being converted into another substance then... acid + base = salt + water IIRC.
    in fact, heart burn more often than not is a result of previously (before food ingestion) low stomach acid and /or slow gastric emptying. The diarrhea on the other hand happens when the DAA goes leaves the stomach and gets into the digestive tract, which is supposed to be at a much higher ph than the stomach... at least that is what I would speculate is the underlying reason and would also explain why for most taking the DAA with food / for you de-acidifying it, helps

on another note: Baking soda is one of my favorites anyway And I wonder why people still pay for cre-alkalyn, when it is only CM + too little baking soda to do what it is supposed to do optimally (cf. http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011...netics-of.html, I think the info is in the second part of my write-up to lazy to check ATM )
    visit my nutrition & exercise science blog!
    SuppVersity @ SuppVersity.blogspot.com

As ProfDrAndro, I am also one of the heads behind

BodyRX Radio @ www.bodyRXRadio.com
    and a frequent guest at Carl Lenore's
    SuperHumanRadio @ www.superhumanradio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that about creatine and baking soda. Baking soda works tremendously well for high intensity cardio. The difference between running a fast 10K with and without it is like night and day. I'm surprised that more people aren't on the bandwagon, but I guess arm and hammer isn't in the supplement business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we have a few threads on here touting the benefits of baking soda. It's pretty popular here. I'm not sure my mixture would have the same benefits, though, since I think the baking soda is combining with the DAA to form a salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by physicus007 View Post
    in fact, heart burn more often than not is a result of previously (before food ingestion) low stomach acid and /or slow gastric emptying.
    Do you happen to have a citation for that? Currently dealing with some chronic reflux that just won't go away, and getting a bit tired of the very limited Antacid/H2 Antagonist/PPI options.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried supplementing with TMG Hcl? I think if the low-acid hypothesis plays out, that they recommend it as a fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it has to do, directly, with the pH of the solution. Your stomach's pH is already way low, the small amount of DAA you introduce won't change that. I'd speculate that since Asp has a low solubility (I was surprised at this), that reacting it with a base allows it to be much more soluble, ergo: it is absorbed into he bloodstream. Without the base, perhaps more stays in the G.I. and exerts a modest osmotic effect?

12. Likes Kimbo liked this post
    Administrator Extraordinaire WW7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baking soda is my friend, especially with DAA. Glad it worked Kim.
    "If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough."-Lombardi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
    Baking soda is my friend, especially with DAA. Glad it worked Kim.
    It is also worth taking chronically without DAA (in fact I believe baking soda is >> DAA in terms of bang for your buck and even total "bang" )

cf. http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012...g-34-time.html

Figure 1: Relative values of maximum oxygen uptake (VO2Max) and time to exhaustion before in the middle and right after 6-weeks on 200mg/kg (weeks 3-6: 100mg/kg) sodium bicarbonate + 3x per week 4-7 high intensity intervals (data calculated based on Picardie. 2011)

15. Likes Kimbo liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a mixed cation bicarbonate salt available? Something that has more than just sodium? Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium would be nice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Dubio View Post
    Do you happen to have a citation for that? Currently dealing with some chronic reflux that just won't go away, and getting a bit tired of the very limited Antacid/H2 Antagonist/PPI options.
    It's definitely possible to have non-acid reflux, though I don't know how common it is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19067071/

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by physicus007 View Post
    in fact, heart burn more often than not is a result of previously (before food ingestion) low stomach acid and /or slow gastric emptying. The diarrhea on the other hand happens when the DAA goes leaves the stomach and gets into the digestive tract, which is supposed to be at a much higher ph than the stomach... at least that is what I would speculate is the underlying reason and would also explain why for most taking the DAA with food / for you de-acidifying it, helps

on another note: Baking soda is one of my favorites anyway And I wonder why people still pay for cre-alkalyn, when it is only CM + too little baking soda to do what it is supposed to do optimally (cf. http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011...netics-of.html, I think the info is in the second part of my write-up to lazy to check ATM )
    That is actually pretty interesting about cre-alkalyn
    Performing Strongman, Competitive Strongman, Martial Artist
    ACSM-CPT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried d-limonene? It has some reasonable clinical data to support its efficacy.

Although, that said, I did not get much relief with it for my reflux which came on out of the blue before Christmas...although my recent elimination of fish oil from my supplement regimen seems to have helped a great deal...fingers crossed.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn77 View Post
    Is there a mixed cation bicarbonate salt available? Something that has more than just sodium? Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium would be nice too.
    purebulk.com will take care of you. They have pottasium bicarbonate as well as calcium citrate and pretty much any other mineral base. Calcium Carbonate is good but not as good as the bicarbonates I don't think. Never hurts to get some more calcium though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaWd View Post
    Have you tried supplementing with TMG Hcl? I think if the low-acid hypothesis plays out, that they recommend it as a fix.
    Haven't tried it. I've heard of TMG being used, but am somewhat skeptical, as I haven't seen any literature references to the use of TMG. It's also rather counter-intuitive given that, while antacids are far from a complete solution, reducing gut pH certainly does improve matters temporarily.

Still, perhaps it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by adreno View Post
    It's definitely possible to have non-acid reflux, though I don't know how common it is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19067071/
    Thanks for the citation. Will have to digest tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Have you tried d-limonene? It has some reasonable clinical data to support its efficacy.

Although, that said, I did not get much relief with it for my reflux which came on out of the blue before Christmas...although my recent elimination of fish oil from my supplement regimen seems to have helped a great deal...fingers crossed.
    I haven't yet, but it's on my short-list.

Fish oil is an interesting one. I've been taking enteric coated caps (Kirkland) for a while, assuming that the coating would prevent any aggravation of reflux, but a recent report by ConsumerLabs did suggest, IIRC, that some of the enteric-coated fish oil actually does end up dissolving in the stomach. Perhaps I should kick the old omega-3...

Thanks, guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't tried it. I've heard of TMG being used, but am somewhat skeptical, as I haven't seen any literature references to the use of TMG. It's also rather counter-intuitive given that, while antacids are far from a complete solution, reducing gut pH certainly does improve matters temporarily.

Still, perhaps it's worth a try.

Thanks for the citation. Will have to digest tonight.

I haven't yet, but it's on my short-list.

Fish oil is an interesting one. I've been taking enteric coated caps (Kirkland) for a while, assuming that the coating would prevent any aggravation of reflux, but a recent report by ConsumerLabs did suggest, IIRC, that some of the enteric-coated fish oil actually does end up dissolving in the stomach. Perhaps I should kick the old omega-3...

Thanks, guys.
    sorry, Dubio, I just realized I overlooked your initial question for the citation. Do you still do a lot of curcumin (or other anti-inflammatories)? I mean, you should not overlook the importance of prostaglandins to keep your gut intact and free of nasty bugs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very interesting stuff here.I'm currently on the need to build muscle daa.I haven't had any of the issues you guys have spoke of but def a cool trick here.

Thread Information