User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Branding My Personal Training Business (Home Gym On Juice)

This is no longer for public consumption.
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do have appropriate business liability insurance on both the Kave and yourself, right?
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benson, you just asked what I was going to ask. It is never good to have a business attached to your home especially when it is physical in nature. Even with good insurance since it is the same structure you can lose your home. Sucks, but it is a reality.

On a side note, as a female I would not ever even call a business that included the names Kave or Kaveman. You may miss a huge portion of possible clientele if you start advertising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So,...is there any way you would be willing to post up some pics of said garage?...because that sounds pretty sweet.
    “When mental energy is allowed to follow the line of least resistance and to fall into easy channels, it is called weakness” -James Allen

"That by which a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved." 2 Peter 2:19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liability Insurance is in the wings, from what I understand it runs between $150 and $200 per year.

Release of Liability forms will be signed by clients as well. One of my clients has a husband who is an attorney. She came to me after my close friend was murdered last Summer. He was her trainer for four years and she helped him build his business from the ground up. So thankfully I will have her assistance and guidance throughout this process.

As for having a separate business identity, that I do not have. I do not own the home, or much for that matter. Suing me wouldn't be worth a signature, let alone the cost of hiring an attorney. Anyhow, later today I call about the insurance.

Chem, thanks for the feedback. If there is one thing I've noticed is everyone has a very different take on the name, the imagine etc etc.

Vibe, pics and video will be forthcoming.
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on building the gym and your own business! Also I have known more men with your name then women.

Some name ideas:
    SoCal Fitness
    Fitness Garage (girls like the word fitness)
    bunz of steel

I will try and think of some more.
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Q, the word 'Fitness' is being worked into the name at the moment. Perhaps Kaveman Fitness Training? I like the idea that the word caveman conjures, however the women I've been speaking with have mixed feelings on the issue. At the end of the day though I'm not mass marketing at the moment. I can handle 10 clients TOPS with my current school schedule. The name, however much it may or may not be woman friendly, will be backed by a website with pictures and videos of myself and my trainees in action. Adding to that I believe my sales pitch should speak much louder than the name on the wall.

That said, at some point I may want to grow this venture. Keeping that in mind, I find the name memorable and bold. Two characteristics I feel represent my vision well.

IDK, just my two cents.

Keep it coming y'all. More input the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    Congrats on building the gym and your own business! Also I have known more men with your name then women.

Some name ideas:
    SoCal Fitness
    Fitness Garage (girls like the word fitness)
    bunz of steel

I will try and think of some more.

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a private gym you need to have "systems" or "performance center" in the title to make it sound like a more scientific and personalized approach to training. From a marketing stand point, this makes clients think they're getting something unique, instead of a gym in a garage.

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build a website like this with testimonials:
    http://adrenalineperformancecenter.com/

Market your business as being some individualized training based on the latest scientific studies, rather than just a gym. Then add "systems or performance center" to your name and people will shell out money to work out in someones garage... even though they can get a trainer with a full gym for less money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dontknow View Post
    Build a website like this with testimonials:
    http://adrenalineperformancecenter.com/

Market your business as being some individualized training based on the latest scientific studies, rather than just a gym. Then add "systems or performance center" to your name and people will shell out money to work out in someones garage... even though they can get a trainer with a full gym for less money.
    I like those videos a lot. Gave me some good ideas. The Prowler Sled is awesome. I have a company local that makes several different varieties for around $300. I may or may not invest in one, depends on how my neighbors react to my training people over the next few weeks.

As for it being "just a garage," that is not the case. Nor will it be perceived as such. Can't express how exciting this is to finally get it off the ground. Been planning this for many months now. But holy crap, I need a nap. Been at it non stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D...I will be one to say it is nice to see you have your head and shit together enough to actually start this endeavor. I wish you all of the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D-termine View Post
    As for having a separate business identity, that I do not have. I do not own the home, or much for that matter. Suing me wouldn't be worth a signature, let alone the cost of hiring an attorney. Anyhow, later today I call about the insurance.
    http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-insur...iner-insurance

A lifetime of having your wages garnished is not worth it.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who owns my own business, have you come up with a marketing plan yet?

(Sadly) I've learned that even with the best product, service, etc., without good marketing you won't make any money.

And also (sadly), a garbage product with great marketing will do very well (see every infomercial).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats D, it sounds like you got your shit together and the gym does sound sweet. Pics!

My 2c: Chem is right about the name turning away women. But it ALMOST doesn't seem to matter in this case, for more than a couple reasons: If you really can be selective about your clientele that is one reason it doesn't matter, although that is counter-intuitive when you start. Number two is that MOST women are way too ignorant, misguided and intimidated (I mean that with the utmost courtesy) to ever be caught dead in a "real" gym or the free weight section of any gym. IE, yours. DB's, tractor tires, dip bars, etc...Women seem to like treadmills, yoga mats, ellipticals, lcds/magazines, "curves" type atmospher and that kind of shit. Alot are gonna be fat chicks that wanna peddle a stationery bike at 1.333mph while watching the view. Most are also worried about getting too muscular and turning into China even though most of us here know it's a myth. Number 3 is I don't think most would ever work out in some dude's garage, to put it bluntly. You need a safer seeming setting than that. I think you need to forget about 50.8% of the population for now, but:

The downside to that is when you are done with school and when (not IF..I got faith in you) it starts to really take off and you can expand your clientele base and devote all your time to the venture, the name/location thing would be an issue. You'd be alienating your previous customer base when you reinvent yourself and your gym to include more than half the market base...and, I've found as a small biz when you get customers you KEEP THEM HAPPY or you fail. Word of mouth is fucking huge, and you will most likely never be a mega-conglomerate(thank God) like planet fitness, etc, to draw in strays. Even strong encouragement from a boyfriend or husband wouldn't sway most women IMHO to stock faith in you. Most guys would leave to stop the incessant bitching from wives/gfs and join a chain that's more attractive/safer for the ball and chain.

Also, sell supps that WORK, like fish oil, GTE and pre WO energy shit. America loves shortcuts in a pill. You know what works and you can make a profit on them. Don't ASSume your customers have knowledge of this. You know the sources were you can make a huge profit on it. I'd make the small investment in a cabinet with a viewable window/glass right next to the door, even though it seems dumb when you start."Kaveman's Korner" in cheap neon. I'm being facetious but still... People will ask, I guarantee it. Fuck it, put your own supps in there if you have to, just advertise SOMETHING else you can profit on. "Hey bro, do you take this shit? It seems to work." Be bold about it, fuck it. It don't cost much and you can always explain it away to smarter clients, even if it's in your garage. Think about how much your competition profits on bullshit shakes and supps when you have the know how to steer them straight. And you can prove it with pubmed studies .

Another huge one that I fell into when I started: Don't make the mistake of selling yourself short as a small biz to catch more clients because you do great work for cheap. Don't go extreme but you teach people how to treat you and you teach people how to pay. Set the tone early or you won't be able to set it at all. You are worth it, as weird as that might sound (stuart smalley for oldshchool SNL fans). So charge as much. When your prices are high, but not too high, people are gonna question why. But when they see you and realize you practice what you preach, that is worth way more than a thousand words. Shit, if I were you, and like most of us on here, you have a good enough physique (that word always makes me cough, maybe out of a small degree of homophobia) I'd do a BB competition JUST to post the pics to get enough lazy fat asses motivated to buy YOU. Maybe not quite so extreme but you see what I am driving at. You have to sell yourself first. Then people buy. Pictures are huge. As much as I cringe about the fact on social mediating it, these days you have to to gain biz. I'd do it just to sell customers and post it on FB, fucking tweet about it, whatever people accept now a days. And for now I'd hold off on posting them in my garage, but you have to think big. I can't word it quite right, other than sell yourself first. You will know what to do.

That's all I got for now. As a salesman/manipulative bastard (one and the same), the whole idea intrigues me though, and I will be prolly be back to throw in more.

I wish you the best of luck.

PS: Get the fucking insurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chemgoddess1 View Post
    D...I will be one to say it is nice to see you have your head and shit together enough to actually start this endeavor. I wish you all of the best.
    Thanks Chem, this year I ditched my best friends, split with the 4 year gf, and put the drugs and excess behind me. Time to grow up and start putting my welfare first. The gym is my baby, I can spend all day in there polishing, painting, planning, whatever. 2012 is going to be a good year for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-insur...iner-insurance

A lifetime of having your wages garnished is not worth it.
    I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. I have an awful habit of procrastinating things, but I'm working diligently to correct it. Thanks Benson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ metalhead and Habit, I appreciate the input. I have a strong team behind me marketing wise. I've had my fair share of experience on with fitness marketing as well at previous places I've worked. I have a mind for it as well. I'm a natural salesman. I've been running a small business and supporting myself off it for the last few years, this is my third venture to date. I have big plans, but school is the stranglehold on them for the time being. Whatever the case though, I'm going to have fun and turn a profit. I feel the tides changing in my favor, and the surf looks great.

I'll get some pics and vids up soon. Thanks all for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you need a gym name that appeals to women if you run marketing campaigns that are female focused. Example, "hard body fitness - 8 weeks to get you ready for your bikini " at kaveman gym.

Also check out The forged Athlete, Zach even-esh, Matt wichlinski. They all have garage gyms off their own property that are very successful. Their sites also offer quite a bit of free business advice on getting your own gym started.

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, gym's are a dime a dozen. You SHOULDN'T market it out as a gym! You should market it as some sport science personal training, that happens to be out of your house. You're a personal trainer that has lots science and performance enhancement knowledge, and that's why you can operate out of your house. Cater to athletes (amateur, high school, etc.). the average person will just join a gym otherwise.

Your business name should be your name + "systems" and shouldn't even mention the gym.

If it takes off move into a strip mall and then call it "kave performance center by your name". You got to sell yourself, and make it seem like you're some sport scientist

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in a name? Funny, everyone has such different opinions on it. At the end of the day people are going to talk about me. I'm the only trainer at my place for the moment, the name really is just what goes on Facebook. That said, it should be my name so that people will check my updates. Add to that The Kave has no name recognition, whereas my name does. As for the business and marketing end of things, that takes care of itself when I'm working hard and doing my thing. I bleed good energy and people are attracted to that. My clients will do the same. I could imagine this blowing up and being way too busy to service everyone interested. Thankfully I have a few friends that are trainers as well that I wouldn't mind renting space to and working with. Such fun. Anyhow, off to class.

Thread Information