User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Deadlift: Who Needs It?

Awesome T-Nation article on why the Deadlift is not the ultimate strength exercise, is not a measure of strength, is not functional, and only "the cool kids are doing it", and peer-pressuring others into doing it.

Huh?

T NATION | The Deadlift? Who Needs It?

I think the biggest reason not to do the exercises the author suggests are clearly highlighted by the video included in the article:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XzgWgTNH4&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

This guy can barely keep his balance on any one of these exercises.

Well, I guess I can either begin practicing my banded zercher good mornings for when they are included in powerlifting, or maybe I can buy one of the sandbag implements that the Author sells. I'm sure a heavy sandbag is better to deadlift, GM, and snatch.

Josh Henkin, CSCS is the creator of the Ultimate Sandbag™ and Dynamic Variable Resistance Training™ (DVRT™) System. He has been a highly sought out National and International speaker teaching his system to over 15 countries worldwide and some of the top professionals in the industry. His DVRT™ program has been used in US Army Special Forces and SWAT preparation programs as well as athletes and fitness enthusiasts in over 70 countries. Learn more at Sandbag Training Fitness System.
    A dude passes a fitness exam and well, whatever...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with several of those lifts is that they're too unbalanced (like you said, it barely looks like he can keep his balance). How are you supposed to generate sufficient force to generate a training effect? It's similar to how athletes performing movements on Swiss balls saw little carryover.

It's true that, at a certain point, increasing your DL from 450lb to 500lb ma y not result in an increase in sports performance, but that's probably because the athlete has plenty of limit strength and needs to work on other things. It doesn't make the DL useless.

After reading the article, it sounds like the author just wants to be contrary. You see this a LOT in training articles... a coach will often try to buck the trend in order to stand out.

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    After reading the article, it sounds like the author just wants to be contrary. You see this a LOT in training articles... a coach will often try to buck the trend in order to stand out.
    This.

What is the next article in the series?

Protein: who needs it?
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in athletics it isn't nearly as cut and dried. How many times have we seen wrestlers, gymnasts, martial artists, etc., that are strong in their chosen sport, yet can't pull to save their lives?
    To that end, if you're strong in your sport and dominating the competition, does your deadlifting prowess even matter?
    Before we can establish a correlation of strength to a given activity, we need to assess how accurately it challenges our body in specific measures relevant to that activity.
    This is not strength. This is power.

And I think a good strength and conditioning program consists of both bi- and unilateral work. Not just one or the other.

Br
    Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.

-Quintus Horatius Flaccus

[He appears mad indeed but to a few, because the majority is infected with the same disease.]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.....!
    Power Plus Slickness is equal to Strength. So Strength is the great tool for a person. So....What we should do??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deadlifts are the foundation of my physique and strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love the dead lift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deadlifts ftw

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge erectors, traps: Who wouldn't want that!?

Believe and you will Achieve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'How many times have we seen wrestlers, gymnasts, martial artists, etc., that are strong in their chosen sport, yet can't pull to save their lives?'

Gymnasts are known to be strong in the deadlift because of their excellent core strength. I read an article by a gymnast trainer who said one of his gymnasts could deadlift 3 x bodyweight on his first attempt!

Thread Information