User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vegetarian And Heart Disease

J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010 Mar;22(3):134-9.
    Reducing heart disease through the vegetarian diet using primary prevention.

Sticher MA, Smith CB, Davidson S.
    Source

School of Nursing, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA. msticher@hotmail.com

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To evaluate research on the vegetarian diet for its safety, effectiveness in reducing heart disease, special considerations, contraindications, and its association with decreased cardiovascular disease risk.
    DATA SOURCES:

Selected research and evidence-based dietary guidelines found by searching CINAHL, PubMed, Ovid databases, and the World Wide Web.
    CONCLUSIONS:

A carefully planned vegetarian diet with adequate supplementation may be effective for primary prevention of heart disease. The vegetarian diet is cost effective, safe, and relatively easy to implement.
    IMPLICATIONS FOR PRACTICE:

Improved dietary choices can help improve many chronic conditions. Guidelines for proper nutrition within a vegetarian lifestyle are readily accessible to patients and professionals alike. Referral to a dietitian is an appropriate option in primary care settings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1607S-1612S. Epub 2009 Mar 25.
    Vegetarian diets: what do we know of their effects on common chronic diseases?

Fraser GE.
    Source

Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA. gfraser@llu.edu

Erratum in

• Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1):248.

Abstract

A number of studies have evaluated the health of vegetarians. Others have studied the health effects of foods that are preferred or avoided by vegetarians. The purpose of this review is to look critically at the evidence on the health effects of vegetarian diets and to seek possible explanations where results appear to conflict. There is convincing evidence that vegetarians have lower rates of coronary heart disease, largely explained by low LDL cholesterol, probable lower rates of hypertension and diabetes mellitus, and lower prevalence of obesity. Overall, their cancer rates appear to be moderately lower than others living in the same communities, and life expectancy appears to be greater. However, results for specific cancers are much less convincing and require more study. There is evidence that risk of colorectal cancer is lower in vegetarians and in those who eat less meat; however, results from British vegetarians presently disagree, and this needs explanation. It is probable that using the label "vegetarian" as a dietary category is too broad and that our understanding will be served well by dividing vegetarians into more descriptive subtypes. Although vegetarian diets are healthful and are associated with lower risk of several chronic diseases, different types of vegetarians may not experience the same effects on health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegetarian foods are good for the heart health. It controls the cholesterol level and burns the extra body fat to keep the heart healthy and active for the working.
    These vegetables diets are also good to lose the body weight and get rid of obesity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post bro!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to think. According to other sources, the B12 deficiency is a big danger, and B12 can only be found in food of animal origins.
    deficiency:
    In terms of health risks from eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, most people think of vitamin B12 deficiency, as vitamin B12 is present in natural form only in animal sources of food.
    But while this is a real risk -- studies show insufficient amounts of vitamin B12 can elevate your homocysteine levels, potentially increasing your risk for heart disease and stroke -- it is not the only one.
    New research suggests that excluding all animal foods from your diet leads to a low dietary intake of protein and sulfur amino acids, which increases vegetarians' risk of heart disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been a big meat eater so my progression towards pescetarianism (fish not flesh) has been gradual and quite painless. It came about quite naturally so people shouldn't think that this a difficult thing by any means. My doctors have seen such an improvement in my test result numbers (every test you can imagine) that when I ask for suggestions, they tell me to keep doing what I'm doing. LOL. I guess moderation really is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding of heart disease is that it is caused by inflammation of the arteries and inflammation is caused by a diet high in carbohydrates, grains and sugar etc. The vegetarians I know have no problem with eating plenty of grains and carbohydrates...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vegetarian foods are good for health and doctors also recommend veg food for heart patients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegetarian food are quite good for us where we can eat anytime we want unlike meat and other food which we should need to eat in moderation and at a minimal quantity. but we must also consider that what we eat is also safe and does not contain chemicals.
    The purpose of our lives is to be happy. Cordexpharma

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a proven fact that human body tend more towards the natural eating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegetarian foods are good for the heart health.
    Take more fresh fruits, raw vegetables, nuts, and beans in your routine diet.
    All these veggies foods burn the fat, control the cholesterol level, and reduce the risk of the heart diseases.
    Maitland Personal Trainer
    Adam Prowse Personal Trainer,
    2/539 High Street Maitland,
    New South Wales 2320, Australia

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most vegitarians are sickly looking or obese women that eat baked goods and dairy. You keep your string cheese and twinkies, I know better. WHole foods are the way to go. Now, a vegatarian that eats all organic whole foods and has 1 or 2 eggs a day ang gets a minimum of 60 g of protein a day is good

Thread Information