User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am SteelWolf the American warrior, but more commenly known as the Omega Wolf. I picked up that name from Clint Darden because no matter life has thrown at me I have alway stood my ground and never backed down. "I am the last one standing" I am a hybrid between traditional Gong Fu Martial Artist (hung gar) and Oldtime Performing Strongman. My training focuses traditionally on the the Gong Fu aspect while using the Oldtime Strongman feats to increase my power for that. In all actuality I wouldn't mind if one day I get my light NAS procard.

I believe true strength comes as much from the internal as the external, and I spent as much time as I can focusing on each of them to develop true power and mastery. Except I truly believe there is no mastery. My scholarly trained background is psychology with a lot of research done on the powers of the mind for making it assist you in whatever you desire to do especially for combat athletes and real combativeness.

I do not live to train... I train to live. Everything I do will benafit me in someway in life, and nothing is ever done without purpose. Throughout my training things will change and new things will come into play and old things will fade away. After all as Bruce Lee said we need to be like the water.

Well that is my intro, hope you follow along.

Respectively steel Wolf

SteelWolf
    Performing Strongman, Competitive Strongman, Martial Artist
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do train tonight, but I feel what kind of guy would I be if I did not give you a taste of some of my strength and conditioning workouts. My Hung Gar workouts I do not get into great detail about though out of respect for my sifu.

3/30/11

To start off today had a few setbacks. The person coming to fix my extra toilet did not come today and I was stuck waiting around for nothing. Also had a quite rough disagreement with someone I love dearly. I was very stressed out and unable to train for awhile until I was able to catch my breath and calm down. Once I did I realized how lucky I was. There may be fights that go on, but the loyalty and support than is shown is worth the occasional fight. When one day I accept my light weight pro card, my beautiful amazing girlfriend will be standing next to me. Once I calmed down I had one of the best workouts in a very long time.

Starting off with my Hung Gar stuff:

Did the warm up drills and was sure to keep myself relaxed and fluid for once in my life. Seemed to go move easy and good. The movement pattern is finally getting greased after all this time. Next I moved on to the dynamic tension exercises for this style. Those definitely wear a person out good. Next was blocks and stance drills. Finally work on the form I am doing.

Once that was done it was time to move onto the weighted workout. Today was what Bud Jeffries refers to as the yardstick conditioning day. This is the day where I test out how my conditioning is improving. This would be interesting to see because my food has been lowered since the last time I did this 2 weeks ago. I was operating on lower calories, lack of sleep from researching something on leucine last night, and finally do to the argument. I had the odds stacked against me. My last best was 200 swings with my 20lb KB alternating every 25 followed by a few minutes rest and 20 double 20lb KB clean and press.

Today:

300 swings alternating every 50 nonstop with a 1 minute rest and then 20 double 20lb KB clean and presses nonstop

Followed by my active cool down of stretching and thought relaxation.

Today was very good. Next shot is 500 swings thats the goal. If I can nail 500 swings I'll up the weight and get a 40lb KB and knock that out to. Super conditioning power right there. No contest will tire me out then. The goal on the C&P is 50 though I'll probably expect more of myself and go for 100. I need that insane conditioning boys and girls. You are only as strong as the weakest link and I will have no weak links.

this is about 4 weeks into ketosis to

4/3/11

Total time aprox 1 hour 30 minutes

Another day another adventure for me. 3 days in with actual lean gain nutrition compared to the massive cut I just did. I feel amazing, I look pretty darn good, and I'm ready to just get on with the day. Calories are still not that high, but I guess we're easing our way back in. I dont always know what Shelby is thinking, but I've learned to put 100% trust into him when it comes to my nutrition. Last night I spent some time with my girlfriend and she commented I am looking better and she definitely agrees my mood has improved and I look better. Anyways we started getting her ready for a contest, hopefully she will be ready for it. I have faith in her, but we still have to see how her body takes to lower rep programs and such. Will see what happens here. I'm sure she can do it, but I want to be sure she wins if she goes in. I remember getting pinned under a very easy weight in my first PL meet that I hit tons of times in training so I need her mentally prepared as well as physically. I will be starting that as well. Well anyways lets get on to my training.

Today was a combo between my Hung Gar stuff and my traditional movements day /w neck and abs. I am pretty sure I explained the reasoning for this set up but if not ask away.

Hung gar:

Warm up movements

Dynamic Tension movements (these are brutal) that is all I can say about them though. Can't get into details sadly as they are kind of not normally taught.

Stance technique builders

Blocks

Drilled taming the tiger (my current form) a couple of times. I wouldn't advise looking it up on youtube. My sifu has not found even one good example of it on there.

At this point I took my intraworkout nutrition and preceded to get my mind ready for the very viscous training. Also got to try out my new lever belt. This works perfect for now, but I have a feeling as gaining continues I'll need to get another one deadlifts as I pull pretty loose belted for them. I will be trying out powerchews as part of intra workout nutrition because I feel they could be of much benefit

Now let us begin to the hell that would come along.

Lunge/1 leg squat 1 minute rest in between sets (weight is of each dumbbell)

80lbs 1 pair (the rep was not as clean as I liked it so I backed down)

70x 1 pair

70x1 pair

going to go up to 72.5lbs next time

Rest 3 minutes

Dumbbell deadlifts (weight is of each DB)

100x13 reps (these are straight through)

rest 3 minutes

Strict Military 1 dumbbell (no rest between arms but 1 minute between pairs)

67.75lbs 1 rep, 1 rep, 1 rep

rest 1 minute

Push Press DB

90lbs for 1 rep each

3 minutes rest

DB row dynamic style (1 minute rest between pairs)

135lbs 3 reps and 3 reps

rest 3 minutes

Floor Press 2 dumbbells

55x20 reps

3 minute rest:

Neck Circuit. I will say this about my shrugs they are not what 99.9% of people do for shrugs. They are clean high quality shrugs with full raising of the shoulders. Because my neck for me means survival, I would rather use a good weight that allows clean working reps than doing tiny little bounces or cheat shrugs. One day I'll get a video of this circuit.

50lb DB shrugs 16 reps

30 rest

Front bridge: 1:30min

50lb DB shrugs 9

rest 30

back bridge +10lb plate 1:03 min

50lb DB shrugs 5

rest 30

Headstand 40 sec

50lb DB shrugs 3

rest 30

DB Bench Shrug 55lbs for 25lbs

rest 30

OHP shrugs 30 for 12 reps

rest 3 minutes

25lb plate situps (since everyone says these are so much more difficult than the normal way I do situps I decided to do some) 13 I stopped because my feet were hurting from being pinned down.

Then I stretched and boy did I stretch out. I will be taking a bath later tonight. I need to get some bath oils for aromatherapy to help relax after training sessions. Call it what you will but I know some very good competitors who do that

Strength and Honor,

The Omega Wolf
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very exhausted from yesterdays lesson. A lot of brutal tension work and standing in stances. Not to mention additions to the taming tiger form and new technique. My body woke up today sore especially in the lower body. As I said we are known for our unmovable and powerful stances. So today was already going to be off to a rough. Not to mention went to bed around 11pm last night and woke up 4 and couldn't fall back asleep. Realized I replied to a lot of emails this morning incorrectly cause I was in a morning haze. Not good, but whoops. Next time wake up before replying. So went through school before coming home and starting on my training. This was super insane conditioning day.... and it definitely was. As I type this I am still shaking terribly.

Workout was an hour. Eventually tension exercise will reach up to an hour and a half a day on their own.

Hung Gar:

Started with the warmups as always and then moved onto the tension exercises. We added two more this week and are almost at the full amount for the beginner set. Did some stance technique drills but did not actually the stances. Then did the form a couple of times to drill in the new movement. Did not do technique or stances today. I will leave those for the other 4 days of the week or do them later in the day when i have time. I am going to try to get those done when I get up.

I took a few minutes to take my intra workout nutrition here and wait for it to stomach.

Then I went through what I will call hell on earth conditioning. This was beyond crazy conditioning, but was was just beyond insane hell on earth conditioning. Let me explain.

10 minutes of 1lb Indian clubs non stop. Everything was 10 reps and I completed 3 circuits and the timmer went off at the front circles.

Front raise full

Side Raises full

Front to side swing crossing arms

Front circles

back Circles

around the head front

around the head back

I then rested for 4 minutes

I then used my 70lb ultimate sandbag (the ones with the straps) and set the timer for 10 minutes:

100 rotating deadlifts (thats 50 a side)

3 sets of 10 reps each side one arm deadlift

Finished in 9 minutes and couldn't go any further.

So thats 160 reps of deadlifts in 9 minutes

Then I immediately picked up 2x20lb dumbells and did 5 curls, 5 hammer curls, 5 curls, and 1 hammer curl and then died.

i did not even have the energy to stretch I just died and then took my post workout shake. Ill stretch when my soul returns
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two athletes who have meant the world to me: Alan Schwerdt who was a very amazing powerlifter back in the day and even did a bodybuilding shows torn both of his quads in his meet last weekend, and the one who gave me my nickname of Omega Wolf, pro strongman clint darden, who has been battling lots of illness for those that follow, are going to be out of training for awhile. On Friday I will be making my trek to the school gym to go for a triple bodyweight eagle loop pull. It is almost 100lbs more than my PR on the eagle loops. On Friday I am going to achieve this goal in their honor
    ACSM-CPT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, Clint's been suffering for a while. I've had the misfortune of watching it day by day.

Remembering that it's not about the setbacks, but how you make it through them that counts, I think he'll be fine.

Maybe you can tell him that this is what happens when you O.D. on powerlifting gear

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great intro and the log is looking intense.in to follow.

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My body is dead today. Like totally fried. I have a little chinese secret I am going to try and use to see if that will help the lower back tightness
    ACSM-CPT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelWolf View Post
    My body is dead today. Like totally fried. I have a little chinese secret I am going to try and use to see if that will help the lower back tightness

I'm interested in this secret?

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mich29 View Post
    I'm interested in this secret?

Every real martial art (I get very pick on this) has a linament that is passed down from generation of instructor to generation of instructor. For it is dit dat jaw. I do not have the recipe but I have a small bottle I was given. It is amazing and really really helps.

Also today we will not have the large deadlift as planned. My school girl is closed today my girlfriend and I found at last. I was actually almost in tears how upset I was.
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another fun day in my home gym. Hung Gar training plus light strongman stuff day. Also got the joy of doing sandbag work with my girlfriend. She is coming a long way for actually only training right for about a month and a half tank of a girl, and cute to.

Started out with my warm up exercises and warm up chikung. Moved into the dynamic tension with the two more we added this week. Almost done with theb beginner set of them then have to drill them for xxxxx days consistently. Sorry cant say the exact days or reps. Then I drilled the stances and taming tiger form. Kinda warn out.

Went to take my intra workout shake. Then my friend calls me with a crisis and so I answer and talk to her for a bit (really messed with my workout) but gotta do what you gotta do.

Moved onto to actuall training.

2.5" dumbbell

40lbs for 15 reps each arm military pres

rest 1 min

2.5" dumbbell hammer curl

30lbs right for 9 left for 3 (hurt wrist)

rest 2 min

70lb sandbag military press rest minute 11 reps, 8 reps

1 minute

70lb row with the straps parallel 12 rest 1 min 9

rest 1 min

curls with straps strict 6 rest 1 min, 4

rest 1 minute

zercher squat with bag 13 reps

rest 2 min

8lb medicine ball movements only lasted 3 minutes

DONE.

grilfriends workout she is 5'10" 162lbs all done with the 70lb sandbag

20 reps bringing loading to chest height

rest 1 min

3 reps a side shouldering (total 6)

rest 1 minute

parallel row using the straps 11 reps

rest 1 minute

rotating deadlifts 10 pairs (20 reps)

rest 1 min

16 reps to loading to chest height

Done
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little behind on posting sorry guys and gals.

Saturday I made a 505lb eagle loop deadlift which will be posted on this site soon. It was quite easy, but missed 570 do to the fact I wasn't mentally there. I should have had it.

Sunday:

I did not have the energy for my Hung Gar training but got this done.

Lunge/squat

25lbs each hand for 10 reps a side 20 reps total

rest 2 min

1 arm deadlift

220lbsx1 each arm

rest 2 minutes

DB rows

55lbs x 20 reps each both arms (these are grip and rip rows really fast and strong)

rest 2 minutes

2 dumbbell military

25lbs for 20 reps (these are so easy but I'm trying to move up slow to avoid over fatigue)

rest 2 minutes

1 arm power push

45lbs for 2 sets of 5 each arm

Then i was done to avoid extra fatigue

Today was a Hung Gar workout

Started with dynamic warmup and chikung

then moved onto to stretching myself out to get into my stances

Drilled stances and stance technique

then came blocks and bridges

then form taming tiger

finally we moved onto the dynamic tension

followed by ending chikung and stretches

there was some bodyweight stuff in there to.
    ACSM-CPT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is an "eagle loop deadlift"?
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ouch...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlIxevobM9U[/media]

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much as the video shows, but you have to hold it for a few seconds at lock out to actually make the lift official. I try to hold for at least 5 seconds
    ACSM-CPT

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACSM-CPT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

def loving the new types of exercises and approach here.

Product Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After last nights Hung Gar lesson I realize I need to pick up the pace and drill the stances and the form much much more. My form is not good enough despite the fact I have been drilling it for awhile. Stances are still a bit to sloppy for my sifu and he just like am I am a perfectionist

Started out with mobility and heavy stretching to open up the hips. All these studies keep saying don't do static stretching to start. You all can keep not doing that but I'll trust the old school martial artists and do it as they did. Real hung gar practitioners will blow almost everyone out of the water in functional strength. So after that was done i worked on my dynamic tension and made my corrections that needed to be done for that. Was pretty fried after but went on to drilling the form over and over and over. I need to get it perfect and natural feeling. Then moved onto blocks strikes etc etc and drilled those. These are coming along pretty much to pure reflex. Next I drilled all of the stances I know along with all of the techniques to improve my stance ability. This part took about an hour on its own and will expand as more knowledge is gained.

Moved onto my "yardstick" conditioning day ala bud jeffries except this time I upped it to make it harder.

double kettlebell swing 2x20 pounds for 50 reps

rest 1 min

13 clean and presses 2x20lbs

rest 1 min

25lb plate situp 8 rest 30 seconds jam out 8 more

stretchy stretchy stretchy and done in about an hour and a half. Will drill stances more later tonight.
    ACSM-CPT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might suggest trying to keep your back arched. It bows pretty bad.

Try ditching the belt except on your 1 or 2RM and concentrating on the arch. Should strengthen up quickly.
    Resident Badger
    Pick your poison and enjoy. John Berardi Joe DeFranco Kelly Baggett
    Metabolic Alchemy
    "There isn't guess work in anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology. It's called science." - Brett Hobel
    Jake's log -visit and criticize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is bad ass! I love trying stuff that works with grip, where did you get the eagle straps at? Cool hat too.
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress.

Thread Information