User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    It's difficult (although not impossible) to gain strength on your lifts while dieting. Here are the major factors:

1. If you are cutting your calories too much. If simply maintaining strength is all you're concerned about then this is no big deal. If you want to continue increasing in strength, you have to reduce your deficit a bit. Protein should always remain high regardless of what you're doing.

2. "Newbie gains" are gains that beginners make. They can typically lose fat and gain strength and muscle simultaneously. This wears off eventually, though. People who have had long layoffs can also gain strength and lose fat at the same time.

3. Too much cardio basically adds onto your deficit - see #1 above.

I figured it was probably due to cal deficit. I will try to add in a bit more cals each day for a little while and see what happens. Weightloss is going well so don't want to screw that up. I am looking forward to getting to a point where I can start trying to gain some mass again, hopefully in a clean way.

Monday

Legs

Squat - 135x10, 185x6, 185x5, 185x5

Stiff leg deadlift - 135x10x3

Hacksquat - 180x10x3

Lunges - about 20m inbetween hacksquat sets w/ 30 lb weights in hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PureProtein View Post
    I figured it was probably due to cal deficit. I will try to add in a bit more cals each day for a little while and see what happens. Weightloss is going well so don't want to screw that up. I am looking forward to getting to a point where I can start trying to gain some mass again, hopefully in a clean way.

I hear you. Well, take in a few extra clean calories a day. It doesn't have to be anything huge - have a handful of almonds prior to or post cardio.

Also, give this a read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    I hear you. Well, take in a few extra clean calories a day. It doesn't have to be anything huge - have a handful of almonds prior to or post cardio.

Also, give this a read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

Good read, I recently had a vacation and didn't gain any weight... hope I'm not in this same scenario. I do drink a shitload of coffee everyday, which I hear tends to raise cortisol. This inspired be to do a daily breakdown:

lunch

tuna - 191 cals

spinach - 30 cals

snack

handful almonds - 250 cals

2 whey shakes - 240 cals

dinner

chili - 750 cals

total - 1460 cals

I use prolly around 2500-3500 cals a day.

so my deficit is around 1000-2000 cals a day.

I have begun adding in another item to last meal of day. For the last two days it was an avocado half with some oil and vinegar. Will try this for the next week or so.

Tuesday

Chest

bench press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,165x4,165x4

incline dumbbell press - 45x10,55x8,55x8,60x5,60x3

decline machine press - 140x12,160x10,160x8,170x5

dips - bw-50x10,bw-40x8,bw-40x4

cable flys - 30x15x3 (very weird popping in right shoulder while finishing these up, more stretching needed as usual)

Well I talk about not gaining strength and then I manage to increase my weight on decline machine press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read, I recently had a vacation and didn't gain any weight... hope I'm not in this same scenario. I do drink a shitload of coffee everyday, which I hear tends to raise cortisol.

I do too. Caffeine generally just wears you down over time, so you need to watch how much you take in. I switched to half-caff coffee some time ago and it's helped me quite a bit.

I use prolly around 2500-3500 cals a day.

so my deficit is around 1000-2000 cals a day.

I have begun adding in another item to last meal of day. For the last two days it was an avocado half with some oil and vinegar. Will try this for the next week or so.

That is a fairly large deficit. Good call on the avocado - adding calories in the form of fat will help.

Well I talk about not gaining strength and then I manage to increase my weight on decline machine press.

AVOCADO POWER

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've found the secret... must eat more avocado. 186.5 this morning...booyah.

Wednesday

Back

Decided against deadlifts as my hams, lowerback were still sore from the SLDL few days ago. This gave me room to hit the biceps.

Chin ups - bwx8, bwx5, bwx3

yates row - 115x12,135x8,145x8,145x8,165x5 (these feel great on the forearms and biceps)

pulldown - 110x10,120x8,130x8,140x5

one arm machine preacher curls - 30x15

preacher curl ez bar - dropset consisting of 50lb,40lb,30lb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've bought a bunch of supplements and some new running shoes (Saucony Progrid 3... very nice so far)

Bought a tub of ON BCAA powder, some fish oil softgels, and some melatonin. So planning on taking BCAA pre-workout, intra, and post. Fish oil will be at lunchtime and dinnertime. Melatonin was only 6 bucks so got some for experimenting at some point.

So my regimen so far is

Lunchtime - multivitamin + fish oil

pre-workout - 4mg pseudoephedrine + half scoop NO shotgun (still only at about 1/8 scoop but will work my way up) + BCAA + some whey

intra-workout - BCAA drink

post-workout - scoop of whey

dinner - fish oil

before bed - ZMA pills (not very regular with these at all)

Thursday

Cardio

Decided to try my first outside run of the year... its still cold as shit outside (F U Canadian climate).

3 mile run

New shoes were great. The run went well despite the weather, will prolly be mostly doing runs outside now. Maybe will try some runs to the gym then go for a swim then run back or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your foot physiology like? I like Saucony but some times I feel like I don't have enough of an arch in my foot to wear them while running.

I might suggest moving your protein and BCAA is peri and post workout. Going into a workout with an empty stomach has several benefits you may find helpful, and BCAA/protein/CHO peri and post workout are very beneficial (as I'm sure you already know).
    Resident Badger
    Pick your poison and enjoy. John Berardi Joe DeFranco Kelly Baggett
    Metabolic Alchemy
    "There isn't guess work in anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology. It's called science." - Brett Hobel
    Jake's log -visit and criticize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sauconys seem to fit me best because I do have an arch and my feet are pretty wide. Compared to the Nikes and New Balance they fit both these things more comfortably. I could definitely get rid of protein preworkout and just take a scoop of shotgun instead, I'll give it a try today and see how it goes. Thx for the advice.

Friday

Shoulders, Triceps, and Core

military press - 50x12,70x10,90x8,100x5

upright row - 75x8x3,85x5

dips - bwx12,bwx8,bwx4

skullcrusher - 60x8x3

incline situp - 15x2,bw+25x8

back extension - 15x2,18x1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday

Cardio

4 mile run

Sunday was a rest day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monday

Legs

Squat - 135x10,155x8,185x7,205x3

Hacksquat - 180x8x4 superset with 20m of lunges w/ 30lb dbs

Laying down ham curl - 95x10,110x8x2,125x6

Reverse curls - 40x20,40x16,40x12

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very solid log here and great info within it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx mich, glad you are enjoying it, I've been learning a shit tonne so glad another is as well.

Alright, yesterday was a good FUCKIN' day. I weighed in at 188 (up 1.5 lb from last week) but my pants/belts are getting kinda lose on me now, so that must be a good sign. And on top of that I upped the weight on virtually every chest exercise...

Tuesday

Chest

Bench Press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,175x4,175x3

Incline DB Press - 50x8,65x6,65x6,70x4,70x2

Decline Machine Press - 140x8,160x8,180x8,200x5

Dips - BWx6,BWx4,BWx2

Incline Flys - 20x15,20x12,20x11

So I had some great increases in my chest exercises, legs felt stronger yesterday too. Now I want to figure out why this happened so a few things have changed in the last ~2 weeks.

- starting using fish oil and bcaas

- last weekend I didn't give a shit about my diet I had sushi,popcorn,chips,spaghetti,skillets,mcdonalds breakfast,cookies, 5 guiness tallcans, and a lot of diet pop

- i've starting drinking 1 glass of wine each night

- very recently, at jake's sugguestion, stopped eating anything or drinking whey prior to workout

- cut back cardio significantly (only about 2 days have dedicated cardio in them now)

- added in a day to focus on triceps/shoulders/core stuff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx mich, glad you are enjoying it, I've been learning a shit tonne so glad another is as well.

Alright, yesterday was a good FUCKIN' day. I weighed in at 188 (up 1.5 lb from last week) but my pants/belts are getting kinda lose on me now, so that must be a good sign. And on top of that I upped the weight on virtually every chest exercise...

Tuesday

Chest

Bench Press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,175x4,175x3

Incline DB Press - 50x8,65x6,65x6,70x4,70x2

Decline Machine Press - 140x8,160x8,180x8,200x5

Dips - BWx6,BWx4,BWx2

Incline Flys - 20x15,20x12,20x11

So I had some great increases in my chest exercises, legs felt stronger yesterday too. Now I want to figure out why this happened so a few things have changed in the last ~2 weeks.

- starting using fish oil and bcaas

- last weekend I didn't give a shit about my diet I had sushi,popcorn,chips,spaghetti,skillets,mcdonalds breakfast,cookies, 5 guiness tallcans, and a lot of diet pop

- i've starting drinking 1 glass of wine each night

- very recently, at jake's sugguestion, stopped eating anything or drinking whey prior to workout

- cut back cardio significantly (only about 2 days have dedicated cardio in them now)

- added in a day to focus on triceps/shoulders/core stuff

looks like some good results here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wednesday

Guess that weight gain from the weekend was just water because I am down to 186 this morning.

Back

Deadlift - 135x8,155x8,185x8,205x6,215x4,215x2

Chin ups - BWx6,BWx6,BWx3,BWx2

Yates Row - 135x8,155x6,155x6,155x4

Pulldown - 105x8,120x8,135x6,135x6

BB Curl - 55x10,60x8,65x6,65x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thursday

Cardio

3 mile run

Great weather outside today... and its suppose to go up to 29 degrees this weekend with the humidex. It was 0 degree last week.

Purchased two more supplements: E-Pharm's AMP and Genomyx's HEAT. AMP dosage calls for 2-4 pills, but I only took 1 before my run and did not notice a whole lot. The subtle effects prolly comes from drinking a lot of coffee and frequent use of pseudoephedrine for workouts. I plan on using HEAT to tamper my coffee consumption, we shall see how it goes (I'm a caffeine fiend).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thursday

Cardio

3 mile run

Great weather outside today... and its suppose to go up to 29 degrees this weekend with the humidex. It was 0 degree last week.

Purchased two more supplements: E-Pharm's AMP and Genomyx's HEAT. AMP dosage calls for 2-4 pills, but I only took 1 before my run and did not notice a whole lot. The subtle effects prolly comes from drinking a lot of coffee and frequent use of pseudoephedrine for workouts. I plan on using HEAT to tamper my coffee consumption, we shall see how it goes (I'm a caffeine fiend).

this should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things that motivate me:

[media]http://www.casualiscool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Bruce-Lee-Inspiration.jpg[/media]

and

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOu_4l3lio[/media]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday

Shoulders,Tri,Core

OHP - 65x12,75x8,85x6,85x5,95x3

Upright row - 75x10,85x8,85x8,95x5

Close-grip bench - 95x10,115x8,125x8,135x6,145x5

Skullcrushers - 65x8x3

Incline crunch - bwx15,bw+25x8x3

Back extensions - bwx15, bw+25x15x3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday

Cardio

4 mile run

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monday

Legs

Squat - 135x8,185x6,205x4,215x3

Hacksquat - 180x3x8,270x6

Lunges - bw+30 about 20m x4

Laying down ham curls - 95x8,110x8,125x6,140x4

I can now see the top two abdominal muscles, woot woot. Ever since I have started adding more cals to my dinner meal and eating more cals in general on the weekend I have been gaining weight. Despite gaining weight my vascularity is increasing and overall bodyfat% is decreasing, I hope I can keep this up for the rest of my cut. Thanks all who have given me advice so far, its been working great for me, and I feel fucking good.

Edit - and for my dinner meals I haven't really been adding more carbs. Been adding in more proteins and fats (for example, avocado, handful of nuts, more chicken,beef,turkey, if I'm ever pan frying something, I'll throw an egg or two in)

Thread Information