User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 210
  1. #41
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    It's difficult (although not impossible) to gain strength on your lifts while dieting. Here are the major factors:



    1. If you are cutting your calories too much. If simply maintaining strength is all you're concerned about then this is no big deal. If you want to continue increasing in strength, you have to reduce your deficit a bit. Protein should always remain high regardless of what you're doing.

    2. "Newbie gains" are gains that beginners make. They can typically lose fat and gain strength and muscle simultaneously. This wears off eventually, though. People who have had long layoffs can also gain strength and lose fat at the same time.

    3. Too much cardio basically adds onto your deficit - see #1 above.


    I figured it was probably due to cal deficit. I will try to add in a bit more cals each day for a little while and see what happens. Weightloss is going well so don't want to screw that up. I am looking forward to getting to a point where I can start trying to gain some mass again, hopefully in a clean way.



    Monday



    Legs



    Squat - 135x10, 185x6, 185x5, 185x5

    Stiff leg deadlift - 135x10x3

    Hacksquat - 180x10x3

    Lunges - about 20m inbetween hacksquat sets w/ 30 lb weights in hand

  2. #42
    Senior Member Kimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    13,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureProtein View Post
    I figured it was probably due to cal deficit. I will try to add in a bit more cals each day for a little while and see what happens. Weightloss is going well so don't want to screw that up. I am looking forward to getting to a point where I can start trying to gain some mass again, hopefully in a clean way.


    I hear you. Well, take in a few extra clean calories a day. It doesn't have to be anything huge - have a handful of almonds prior to or post cardio.



    Also, give this a read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html


    If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

  3. #43
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    I hear you. Well, take in a few extra clean calories a day. It doesn't have to be anything huge - have a handful of almonds prior to or post cardio.



    Also, give this a read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html


    Good read, I recently had a vacation and didn't gain any weight... hope I'm not in this same scenario. I do drink a shitload of coffee everyday, which I hear tends to raise cortisol. This inspired be to do a daily breakdown:



    lunch

    tuna - 191 cals

    spinach - 30 cals



    snack

    handful almonds - 250 cals



    2 whey shakes - 240 cals



    dinner

    chili - 750 cals



    total - 1460 cals



    I use prolly around 2500-3500 cals a day.



    so my deficit is around 1000-2000 cals a day.



    I have begun adding in another item to last meal of day. For the last two days it was an avocado half with some oil and vinegar. Will try this for the next week or so.



    Tuesday



    Chest

    bench press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,165x4,165x4

    incline dumbbell press - 45x10,55x8,55x8,60x5,60x3

    decline machine press - 140x12,160x10,160x8,170x5

    dips - bw-50x10,bw-40x8,bw-40x4

    cable flys - 30x15x3 (very weird popping in right shoulder while finishing these up, more stretching needed as usual)



    Well I talk about not gaining strength and then I manage to increase my weight on decline machine press.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Kimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    13,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureProtein View Post
    Good read, I recently had a vacation and didn't gain any weight... hope I'm not in this same scenario. I do drink a shitload of coffee everyday, which I hear tends to raise cortisol.


    I do too. Caffeine generally just wears you down over time, so you need to watch how much you take in. I switched to half-caff coffee some time ago and it's helped me quite a bit.




    I use prolly around 2500-3500 cals a day.



    so my deficit is around 1000-2000 cals a day.



    I have begun adding in another item to last meal of day. For the last two days it was an avocado half with some oil and vinegar. Will try this for the next week or so.


    That is a fairly large deficit. Good call on the avocado - adding calories in the form of fat will help.



    Well I talk about not gaining strength and then I manage to increase my weight on decline machine press.




    AVOCADO POWER


    If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

  5. #45
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I've found the secret... must eat more avocado. 186.5 this morning...booyah.



    Wednesday



    Back



    Decided against deadlifts as my hams, lowerback were still sore from the SLDL few days ago. This gave me room to hit the biceps.



    Chin ups - bwx8, bwx5, bwx3

    yates row - 115x12,135x8,145x8,145x8,165x5 (these feel great on the forearms and biceps)

    pulldown - 110x10,120x8,130x8,140x5

    one arm machine preacher curls - 30x15

    preacher curl ez bar - dropset consisting of 50lb,40lb,30lb

  6. #46
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've bought a bunch of supplements and some new running shoes (Saucony Progrid 3... very nice so far)



    Bought a tub of ON BCAA powder, some fish oil softgels, and some melatonin. So planning on taking BCAA pre-workout, intra, and post. Fish oil will be at lunchtime and dinnertime. Melatonin was only 6 bucks so got some for experimenting at some point.



    So my regimen so far is



    Lunchtime - multivitamin + fish oil

    pre-workout - 4mg pseudoephedrine + half scoop NO shotgun (still only at about 1/8 scoop but will work my way up) + BCAA + some whey

    intra-workout - BCAA drink

    post-workout - scoop of whey

    dinner - fish oil

    before bed - ZMA pills (not very regular with these at all)



    Thursday



    Cardio



    Decided to try my first outside run of the year... its still cold as shit outside (F U Canadian climate).



    3 mile run



    New shoes were great. The run went well despite the weather, will prolly be mostly doing runs outside now. Maybe will try some runs to the gym then go for a swim then run back or something like that.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Jakeshorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What's your foot physiology like? I like Saucony but some times I feel like I don't have enough of an arch in my foot to wear them while running.



    I might suggest moving your protein and BCAA is peri and post workout. Going into a workout with an empty stomach has several benefits you may find helpful, and BCAA/protein/CHO peri and post workout are very beneficial (as I'm sure you already know).
    Resident Badger
    Pick your poison and enjoy. John Berardi Joe DeFranco Kelly Baggett
    Metabolic Alchemy
    "There isn't guess work in anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology. It's called science." - Brett Hobel
    Jake's log -visit and criticize.

  8. #48
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sauconys seem to fit me best because I do have an arch and my feet are pretty wide. Compared to the Nikes and New Balance they fit both these things more comfortably. I could definitely get rid of protein preworkout and just take a scoop of shotgun instead, I'll give it a try today and see how it goes. Thx for the advice.



    Friday



    Shoulders, Triceps, and Core



    military press - 50x12,70x10,90x8,100x5

    upright row - 75x8x3,85x5

    dips - bwx12,bwx8,bwx4

    skullcrusher - 60x8x3

    incline situp - 15x2,bw+25x8

    back extension - 15x2,18x1

  9. #49
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saturday



    Cardio



    4 mile run





    Sunday was a rest day

  10. #50
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Monday



    Legs



    Squat - 135x10,155x8,185x7,205x3

    Hacksquat - 180x8x4 superset with 20m of lunges w/ 30lb dbs

    Laying down ham curl - 95x10,110x8x2,125x6

    Reverse curls - 40x20,40x16,40x12

  11. #51
    Product Rep mich29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    very solid log here and great info within it as well.


  12. #52
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thx mich, glad you are enjoying it, I've been learning a shit tonne so glad another is as well.





    Alright, yesterday was a good FUCKIN' day. I weighed in at 188 (up 1.5 lb from last week) but my pants/belts are getting kinda lose on me now, so that must be a good sign. And on top of that I upped the weight on virtually every chest exercise...



    Tuesday



    Chest



    Bench Press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,175x4,175x3

    Incline DB Press - 50x8,65x6,65x6,70x4,70x2

    Decline Machine Press - 140x8,160x8,180x8,200x5

    Dips - BWx6,BWx4,BWx2

    Incline Flys - 20x15,20x12,20x11









    So I had some great increases in my chest exercises, legs felt stronger yesterday too. Now I want to figure out why this happened so a few things have changed in the last ~2 weeks.



    - starting using fish oil and bcaas

    - last weekend I didn't give a shit about my diet I had sushi,popcorn,chips,spaghetti,skillets,mcdonalds breakfast,cookies, 5 guiness tallcans, and a lot of diet pop

    - i've starting drinking 1 glass of wine each night

    - very recently, at jake's sugguestion, stopped eating anything or drinking whey prior to workout

    - cut back cardio significantly (only about 2 days have dedicated cardio in them now)

    - added in a day to focus on triceps/shoulders/core stuff

  13. #53
    Product Rep mich29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureProtein View Post
    Thx mich, glad you are enjoying it, I've been learning a shit tonne so glad another is as well.





    Alright, yesterday was a good FUCKIN' day. I weighed in at 188 (up 1.5 lb from last week) but my pants/belts are getting kinda lose on me now, so that must be a good sign. And on top of that I upped the weight on virtually every chest exercise...



    Tuesday



    Chest



    Bench Press - 135x10,155x8,155x8,175x4,175x3

    Incline DB Press - 50x8,65x6,65x6,70x4,70x2

    Decline Machine Press - 140x8,160x8,180x8,200x5

    Dips - BWx6,BWx4,BWx2

    Incline Flys - 20x15,20x12,20x11









    So I had some great increases in my chest exercises, legs felt stronger yesterday too. Now I want to figure out why this happened so a few things have changed in the last ~2 weeks.



    - starting using fish oil and bcaas

    - last weekend I didn't give a shit about my diet I had sushi,popcorn,chips,spaghetti,skillets,mcdonalds breakfast,cookies, 5 guiness tallcans, and a lot of diet pop

    - i've starting drinking 1 glass of wine each night

    - very recently, at jake's sugguestion, stopped eating anything or drinking whey prior to workout

    - cut back cardio significantly (only about 2 days have dedicated cardio in them now)

    - added in a day to focus on triceps/shoulders/core stuff


    looks like some good results here


  14. #54
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wednesday



    Guess that weight gain from the weekend was just water because I am down to 186 this morning.



    Back



    Deadlift - 135x8,155x8,185x8,205x6,215x4,215x2

    Chin ups - BWx6,BWx6,BWx3,BWx2

    Yates Row - 135x8,155x6,155x6,155x4

    Pulldown - 105x8,120x8,135x6,135x6

    BB Curl - 55x10,60x8,65x6,65x4

  15. #55
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thursday



    Cardio



    3 mile run





    Great weather outside today... and its suppose to go up to 29 degrees this weekend with the humidex. It was 0 degree last week.



    Purchased two more supplements: E-Pharm's AMP and Genomyx's HEAT. AMP dosage calls for 2-4 pills, but I only took 1 before my run and did not notice a whole lot. The subtle effects prolly comes from drinking a lot of coffee and frequent use of pseudoephedrine for workouts. I plan on using HEAT to tamper my coffee consumption, we shall see how it goes (I'm a caffeine fiend).

  16. #56
    Product Rep mich29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PureProtein View Post
    Thursday



    Cardio



    3 mile run





    Great weather outside today... and its suppose to go up to 29 degrees this weekend with the humidex. It was 0 degree last week.



    Purchased two more supplements: E-Pharm's AMP and Genomyx's HEAT. AMP dosage calls for 2-4 pills, but I only took 1 before my run and did not notice a whole lot. The subtle effects prolly comes from drinking a lot of coffee and frequent use of pseudoephedrine for workouts. I plan on using HEAT to tamper my coffee consumption, we shall see how it goes (I'm a caffeine fiend).


    this should be interesting.


  17. #57
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Two things that motivate me:



    [media]http://www.casualiscool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Bruce-Lee-Inspiration.jpg[/media]



    and



    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOu_4l3lio[/media]

  18. #58
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saturday



    Shoulders,Tri,Core



    OHP - 65x12,75x8,85x6,85x5,95x3

    Upright row - 75x10,85x8,85x8,95x5

    Close-grip bench - 95x10,115x8,125x8,135x6,145x5

    Skullcrushers - 65x8x3

    Incline crunch - bwx15,bw+25x8x3

    Back extensions - bwx15, bw+25x15x3

  19. #59
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sunday



    Cardio



    4 mile run

  20. #60
    Senior Member PureProtein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Monday



    Legs



    Squat - 135x8,185x6,205x4,215x3

    Hacksquat - 180x3x8,270x6

    Lunges - bw+30 about 20m x4

    Laying down ham curls - 95x8,110x8,125x6,140x4



    I can now see the top two abdominal muscles, woot woot. Ever since I have started adding more cals to my dinner meal and eating more cals in general on the weekend I have been gaining weight. Despite gaining weight my vascularity is increasing and overall bodyfat% is decreasing, I hope I can keep this up for the rest of my cut. Thanks all who have given me advice so far, its been working great for me, and I feel fucking good.



    Edit - and for my dinner meals I haven't really been adding more carbs. Been adding in more proteins and fats (for example, avocado, handful of nuts, more chicken,beef,turkey, if I'm ever pan frying something, I'll throw an egg or two in)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Too young to be out of shape...
    By CaptainCrunch in forum 2014 Member's Progress Pics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
  2. Nootrop or Supp for Motivation/Drive
    By Random987 in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM
  3. The key ingredients to a v-shape
    By combustion in forum General Training and Bodybuilding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
  4. Nootrop or Supp for Motivation/Drive
    By Random987 in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2005, 03:06 AM
  5. trying to get in shape/cut with a bum knee
    By velamint in forum Supplements 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •