User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why We Get Fat

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look, those magical monkeys seem to be able to violate the laws of thermodynanics when they eat less sugar:

Apes shed pounds while doubling calories, researcher finds

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-...-calories.html

"Although they take in twice as many calories on the new diet, after a year, the big boys of the primate house have dropped nearly 65 pounds each and weigh in the range of their wild relatives."

Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thecrownedone
    Great video
    there clearly are people of who are resistant to obesity, which is something the energy balance / OMG-you-can't-deny-the-laws-of-physics-LOL!1 model cannot explain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just skipped to the bottom here because it sounds like you all are just paleo junkies. There were multiple studies done in the 1930s to show that if you do not eat enough carbs, it makes you diabetic and these are reported in te book Reversing Diabtes by Dr. Julian Whittaker who runs a center for reversing diabetes in California that works. I grew up in a family of diabetics and was diabetic twice (under stress and due to NOT eating) but have recovered.

Diabetics have genes that limit BH4 production and with insufficient BH4 we cannot eliminate ammonia, a byproduct of protein consumption. Thus, those Atkins-type diets do not work for us. (as I can attest as can my father). Also, I have met online a few people with health problems who when tested proved to be low magnesium, despite supplementation, because it requires magnesium to excrete amminia also and these high protein diets require a lot of magnesium.

I think the primary causes of weight gain are two, and both of these can be addressed and we can go on our weight loss by choice way. What I am saying is that hormones are VERY POWERFUL and VERY HARD TO GO AGAINST. You have to get them working for you to have a REAL choice:

(1) hypothyroid (if your TSH > 1.9, you are hypothyroid. Forget the lab reference range - it is NOT reflective of thyroid health. Also if your TSH > 1.9 you will have elevated cholesterol, which can be lowered by lowering TSH).
    (2) low blood sugar (adrenal problems) - for ME, 1g. tyrosine plus iron fixes this. It is VERY common for women to be low on iron and no one ever tells us it affects our thyroid and adrenal hormone output too! Also affecting this is DHEA. Your DHEA peaks at 30. At some point everyone should supplement this. I do.

My comments - fix the hormones and then exercise CHOICE.

But I am interested in supplements/foods that burn fat, like carnitine (others?), to kinda go with "CHOICE" and make it happen. I have 10 pounds to lose and even 800 cal / day doesn't seem to melt it. I guess it will over time, but I want it NOW!!! (she says impatiently)

Rydra

P.S. I have done 100 mile cycling marathons and there is no way protein and fat helps you on those. It's all about eating complex carbs that can be broken down a needed instead of 10 hours later. So idk how you paleo junkies can do marathons?

P.P.S> I also see that some were talking about insulin above. Guggul is supposed to lower insulin levels. The products I actually take (besides iron) for adrenal issues are these:
    http://www.iherb.com/Absolute-Nutrit...Capsules/27664
    http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research...gie-Caps/18578
    (the second one helps thyroid hormone get into your cells). I think it's the tyrosine, but these cut your appetite as well as take care of low blood sugar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're referencing studies from the 30's? True, high fat / low carb diets can increase insulin resistance to a degree, but who cares when you have very low levels of fasting insulin?

As far as your anecdotes regarding performance; a friend's father just recently competed in a 24-hour ultra. He placed first in the senior division and has been 100% paleo for atleast the last few years. I may be mistaken, but I don't think your glycogen stores are large enough to be the sole supplier of energy for 100 mile cycle rides. On the other hand, unless you're ultra lean, your fat stores could supply energy for days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, what-? You think a study becomes out-of-date? That the laws of physics change with the times? The main thing that has changed between the 30's and now is the amount of junk carbs readily available and consumed. So when you read a study fom the 30's that proves carbs reverse diabetes (which btw Dr. Whittaker proves every day today in his clinic) you need to think 1930's carbs (that is complex carbs, not junk food). I was always told, although I never saw a study so could be urban legend, that you cannot break down fat without some carbohydrate. When dieting in college I took that to heart and found it to be true that instead of skipping meals which would prevent weight loss, if I replaced meals with a small piece of carb, like a single slice of whole wheat bread, that I would be able to lose weight.

I don't think you could do a 100 mile cycling marathon with glycogen...we always ate noodles boiled w/o fat or butter. (I mean we cycled fast enough to allow time to stop for lunch and dinner and still get the marathon patch). I have had problems running out of glycogen at 25 miles some years and have found it to be related to adrenal issues I fixed with tyrosine and iron. You being a guy probably never get low on either of these things, but for women it is common. So anyway, for sure you can't do 100 miles on glycogen alone.

I am not really sure what paleo implies -- to me it is just another name for Atkins. If it is healthier than Atkins, then good. I know a lot of young people are sold on it, but I think it is a reaction to the huge proportion of junk carbs in the average American diet today. I have been on an Atkins diet by accident (I am allergic to wheat and in avoiding it, I ate very low carb). On the very low carb, if I so much as had to walk to the next building for a meeting, I would get a low blood sugar attack. It drove my blood sugar insane. It caused me to be hypersensitive to carbs too, especially wheat (which I had only been somewhat sensitive to before). So I bit the bullet and started eating wheat again. I knew it would drive my blood sugar up for a few days when I started back on it (since low carb makes you diabetic) so I took alpha lipoic acid, as that lowers blood sugar tremendously, for a few days. Then instead of avoiding wheat I decided to fight my wheat allergy which I did with zinc. I am no longer very sensitive to wheat. Wheat used to cause me depression and joint pain. I theorized this is due to absorbing partially digested wheat and zinc helps you make denser skin so you absorb less undigested food. I can not prove it was the zinc that fixed me up because I was also under stress (meaning working late and eating from the junk machines) and I avoided that at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rydra, studies done 5 years ago are often out of date as our knowledge expands. What's more important is the design of the study. Do you have a link to this study? Junk carbs? What seperates a clean carb from a junk carb? Is it the amount of micronutrients? So, you lost "weight" while keeping insulin levels constantly pumped? Something tells me that the "weight" you lost wasn't fat, but lean tissue.

How do you expect to perform if you have to stop every 25 miles to feed? Doesn't sound very efficient to me.

I will agree with you regarding the definition of "paleo". It varies depending on who you talk to. However, I don't understand how you can insult its adherents without knowing what the term even implies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. What do you know? As far as I am aware eating a bit of carb does not "pump up your insulin levels." I am talking about an 800 calorie/day diet and 100 calories of carb out of 800 cal.day doesn't pump up insulin that I am aware. I can't say I really know, only that w/o it one doesn't lose weight the way one does with it.

The studies from the 1930's are cited in the first chapter of Reversing Diabetes by Dr. Julian Whittaker. You can check it out a Barnes and Noble if you want. However there is another topic here in which current studies are cited to show the same thing...those studies word it as "downregulation of the HPA axis". The consequences are the same...if you then eat a piece of carb you will be hyper sensitive and your blood sugar will soar (that is diabetes). See this thread: http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/s...ht=#post643748

Stopping for 10 minutes to eat every 25 miles is not a big deal at all if it enables you to cycle a century. However when I have cycled centuries, I stoppped only for lunch and dinner. It has been at other times that I have had adrenal problems at 25 miles. I have since learned you can't make thyroid or adrenal hormones or dopamin ew/o sufficient iron and I believe the adrenal issues occurred when I was somewhat anemic. So now I take iron and tyrosine to head that off.

Junk carbs are carbs that are basically sugar - if they hit the blood stream like gasoline on fire, they are junk carbs. Complex carbs take longer to digest. So like oatmeal that takes 40 minutes to cook and can sustain blood sugar for hours vs. minute oatmeal that even worse has sugar-flavors in it.

I see paleo as Atkins-like. If there is some difference I am not aware of feel free to enlighten me.

Rydra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

800 calorie a day diet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IronMind View Post
    800 calorie a day diet?
    The college girl diet. But actually, it is the only way someone short like me can lose weight. I am not a bruiser like it seems like the guys on here are. I am not talking about a maintenance diet.

Rydra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydra_wong View Post
    The college girl diet. But actually, it is the only way someone short like me can lose weight. I am not a bruiser like it seems like the guys on here are. I am not talking about a maintenance diet.

Rydra
    Rydra, I'm not a bruiser either and although this is purely anecdotal, I eat roughly 2500 cals a day on Paleo and I'm lean, stable and happy college girl. What if, just for shoots and ladders, you tried a Paleo diet for a week?

11. Likes Squarepusher liked this post
    Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydra_wong View Post
    So idk how you paleo junkies can do marathons?
    mmm... maybe prehistoric people didn't run marathons to begin with?

if you're looking for answers on to eat low carb and do endurance sports check out Ben Greenfield's website and books. He was a bodybuilder a couple of years ago and now he's a triathlete.

you can listen to this interview with Peter Attia here:

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/...ohydrate-diet/

Both Attia and Greenfield do endurance type sports (cycling, triathlon) on a low carb diet. There's an adaptation phase you need to go through and Attia explains the mistakes he made during his.

here's Greenfield promotional website for his low carb triathlete diet program, which I've never read because I'm not a triathlete nor do I want to become one but you might be interested:

http://www.lowcarbtriathlete.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any of u want to cut to da chase on this and spell out in english the best way to be shredded bigtime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredded View Post
    any of u want to cut to da chase on this and spell out in english the best way to be shredded bigtime
    I think the point is no one is really for sure but I want to read this for sure, looks pretty solid and well backed

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health...0281760&sr=8-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan to switch to a paleo/primal diet in order to lose weight. It seems like a reasonable idea/plan to help without starving yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    All in all, a particularly good book for someone who needs to be convinced that the way to leaness is to put down the dinner rolls and start eating more bacon.
    I'm convinced... Bacon it is! Lol. Sounds like a great read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for this post! I may add this book to by amazon wishlist. One of my New Years resolutions is to read more this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think their is any real reason why we get fat. I know that we mainly get fat because we eat to much food! If I cut back on the food I eat, I do lose weight, but then I get hungry. So I just have to train my body to avoid the food!

Thread Information