User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an interesting article or collection about why Fruitarians are smartest

i tried a raw food diet a while back, and it didn't do me very well I didn't eat any grains at that point either. Just curious what you all think about this.

www.animalsuffering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12872&sid=f332cb2c52b519792664bd99 5c02a6d8]www.animalsuffering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12872&sid=f332cb2c52b519792664bd99 5c02a6d8]www.animalsuffering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12872&sid=f332cb2c52b519792664bd99 5c02a6d8

Why Fruitarians Are Smartest

VEGAN AND FRUITARIAN BRAINS

William Shakespeare in "12th Night" He is a heavy eater of beef. Methinks it doth harm to his wit.

Fruitarian Leonardo DaVinci: an analysis of his notebooks

indicates he ate no flesh. He was a fruitarian and the genius

was also the strongest man in Florence, says a biographer.

(his Notebooks where analised by authors such as Dudley Giehl which indicates that DaVinci referred only to the eating of fruits and pastas (the latter is a fruit under the definition that it is the product of a plant. http://www.acorn.net/fruitarian)

Mary Shelley who wrote Frankenstein at age 19 as a treatise

against lab research on animals.. was a vegetarian.

Mathematician Ramanujan: a vegetarian

Albert Einstein.. a vegetarian who ate 1 bite of meat

a year on a Jewish holiday to appease his wifeThe most important evolutionary step humanity can take is to evolve toward vegetarianism. Dr. Einstein ate one bite a year of meat on Jewish holidays for his wife. He said in his autobiography that angels gave him the theory of relativity.

Isaac Newton, Pythagoras of the Pythagorean theorem,

Ramanujan.. what do they have in common? They were vegetarians.

(Newton was an aspiring vegetarian.)

Linus Pauling: winner of 2 Nobel Prizes, one for peace

and one for the several elements he discovered, advocated

fruit as the food which most approximates neural transmitters.

He established a Center For Orthomolecular Research.. and defined an orthomolecule or right molecule as a fruitarian or fruit-based one. He wrote that the neurotransmitters of the brain are all fruit based. Vitamin C speeds the flow of electrical signals across the brain synapses.Vitamin C (best taken in whole uncooked fruit for cooking destroys C)

also removes toxins from brain cells. It is the body's bouncer.

The adrenalin hormone present in meat cells from the fright and anger hormone secretions of terrorized animals.. continues to act on those who eat meat. Thoughts are more peaceful and centered when there are no anger clouds blocking the solar intelligence.

Benjamin Franklin, author of 'an apple a day keeps the doctor

away' was a vegetarian when he discovered electricity.It was not til Paris that he lapsed and said venison and venery defeated him.

What is in meat that harms brain function?

continued more in the original article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inductive inferences based on anecdotes used to support an agenda of promoting of non meat consumption.

He wrote that the neurotransmitters of the brain are all fruit based
    I would like a ref for this before I would consider that assertion as coming from Pauling.

The adrenalin hormone present in meat cells from the fright and anger hormone secretions of terrorized animals.. continues to act on those who eat meat.
    Mmm! Seriously though, I would have no problem with my food being non-terrorised prior to me eating them. One thing that I do find a little odd though with this is that many animals play with their injured prey prior to consumption. Maybe there is some advantage to the predator from terrorising the prey prior to consumption.

The most important evolutionary step humanity can take is to evolve toward vegetarianism.
    On what basis? This assertion seems to have been slipped in as a stand alone assertion next to a some assertions about Einstein. Is this to try to associate Einstein's credibility with non-meat consumption?

Dr. Einstein ate one bite a year of meat on Jewish holidays for his wife. He said in his autobiography that angels gave him the theory of relativity.
    If his meat consumption was for religious grounds, and angels gave him relativity, that sounds like a good argument for meat consumption.

Newton was an aspiring vegetarian.
    Says who? Where is the evidence that Newton was trying to be a vegetarian? Newton was also an extremly unbalanced workaholic who spend a large proportion of his life in search of conspiracy regarding the trinity.

wrt Shakespeare - One should not take advice carte blanch from lines in plays and stories. Especially when they are a few hundred years old.

'Dudley Giehl' had a presupposition that vegetarianism was preferable to meat eating. As an aside, I wonder if pasta is still considered 'a fruit' if it contains eggs.

As far as Leo's creative genius, I am not in dispute. His strength may have been due to his physically demanding work. A lot of people who do not consume any animal products often seem to be quite weak looking. His reasons for sustaining his life via fruits may have been due to the lack of available meat, who knows. As a further aside, I gather Leo did satiate himself with meat, even if it was not for food

J
    Stop animal testing on dogs!

Anti-vivisectionists are a more reliable model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, nice and thorough reply Josh. Very good points made...

I tried raw food for a while, and it was just really hard to do, and I didn't notice anything amazing after doing it, if anything i was kinda weaker and more frail.

But I have been interested in going non meat, since i dont think i could have the heart/balls to actually kill all the stuff i am eating meatwise. And as far as population wise, I think the planet reaches its max for depending on certain types of food and sustainability. What Einstein mean, is if we have to travel through space in the future perhaps, then maybe thats why its better to evolve into non-meat diet ... but even then fruits cant really grow in space x_X

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as a side note there, just thought what a similarity there seems to be between John Nash and Isaac Newton (in terms of their lives).

Anyway, there was an email going about about this and there seems to be quite a few brainy vegetarians.

I put this down to the probability that each was raised on a healthy mixed diet with good meats, breast fed, healtrhy generally, then chose vegetarianism in adulthood.

This is exactly what I found to be true with the most intelligent person I've known, a person who was highly aware of things around, very sharp, chose to cut out meat.

So could there be any basis to later intelligence and health if one chose to switch from omnivorous to vegetarianism and fruitarianism?

There could be for 2 central reasons:

1: Calorific Restriction

2: Antioxidant factors, trace minerals in some vegetables, vs heme iron in beef.

That said, meat contains various antioxidants unique to itself.

Calorific restriction or abstinence during the day causes an increase in growth factors in the brain, and an increase in neuro-protective metalloenzyme activity.

If one wanted an ideal diet, the calorific restriction of a fruitarian or raw food eater, could be used during the morning. In fact, low calories aren't as important as restricting food intake during a portion of the day, research indicates, so you CAN have your cake and eat it.

An ideal diet would then have low calorie fruit intake (a berry smoothie for exsample) in the morning, a modest lunch (mixed, containing a balance of nutrients, egg, organ meat, fish, veg) and a larger diner which should literally help shut the system down, good for relaxation since large doses of fat reduces Cortisol levels.

The intake of critical antioxidants and minerals in leafy vegetables, for example, has been shown to be particularly good for intelligence and neuroprotection. The effect of large meals with high calorie loads may not be good, and also often correlated with poor EFA balance, transfats and mailard reaction protucts.

Small meals of whole lightly cooked meats may on the other hand boost a good fruit and vegetable intakes effects, supplying iron, zinc, EFA's, phospholipids and antioxidants like Carnosine, Taurine, and creatine.

The comparisom of this sort of traditional diet with fruitarians needs to be done.
    ------

These ideas are released under a Creative Commons Share and Share alike license

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Benjamin Franklin, author of 'an apple a day keeps the doctor

away' was a vegetarian when he discovered electricity.It was not til Paris that he lapsed and said venison and venery defeated him."

I don't think this is right. I'm 95% certain that in his autobiography he says he gave up vegetarianism when he saw that fish eat other fish. he then reasoned " I you eat each other, why then can I not eat you too"
    Metrosexual (n); A closet homosexual not man enough to take it in the ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepusher' post='345168' date='Jun 21 2006, 01:17 AM

Here is an interesting article or collection about why Fruitarians are smartest

Giving examples of vegetarians that are smart does not prove vegetarians are smarter than anyone else as a group. Apparently the vegetarian who wrote the article is not too bright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried raw food for a while, and it was just really hard to do, and I didn't notice anything amazing after doing it, if anything i was kinda weaker and more frail.

Freshly juiced raw veg can be a real buzz inducer.

I actually believe in having lots of vegies and fruit in ones diet. My vitriol in my prior post was aimed more at the 'animalsuffering.com' concept whereby people shun non-herbivores. The anti-vivisectionists get a similar responce from me.

But I have been interested in going non meat, since i dont think i could have the heart/balls to actually kill all the stuff i am eating meatwise.

There is nothing more invigorating than doing an 'ozzy' on a rabbit. Primal behaviour keeps the metaphorical claws sharp. The first time is a little tricky

I think the planet reaches its max for depending on certain types of food and sustainability

True - If everyone on the planet consumed the same amount of meat (or WPC for that matter) we would be in serious trouble.

J
    Stop animal testing on dogs!

Anti-vivisectionists are a more reliable model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that the transition from gathering to hunting - and the extra protein and fats that come with meat consumption - correspond to the rapid increase in brain volume seen in the evolution of Homo Sapiens.
    Genomyx....Evolution in Action.

"Blood, Sweat, and Tears doesn't mean crying while you struggle to put your tampon in." ~D Sade

Lesson # 1 - You will never yield an honest crop by planting stolen seeds.
    Lesson # 2 - Integrity and rationality require a constant, lifelong effort. There are no time-outs from thought.
    Lesson # 3 - The hardest lessons burn and grind into your memory forever. You only have ONE chance to stand up for what you believe at any moment. Make sure you always do.
    Lesson # 4 - There is no such thing as a safe environment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blinded, we hurl ourselves into impossible division...Spirits crumbled and sprinkled into flesh." ~D Sade
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hail to the monkey with the missing tail...this lousy edifice - just a wishing wail" ~D Sade
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "That's right, asshole - I am stronger than I've ever been.
    Paltry death cannot hold me for long.
    Can it be that I am stronger, even, than...me?" ~D Sade, written to Bizarro D Sade
    -------------------------------------------
    In Ferrum Veritas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly indicates that we ate a lot of certain foods, brains or fish, or both.

Most probably both.

I'm amazed no ones analysed what eating brains might do for IQ, learning, mood.

I bet its the best food going. In a way, I guess the goal is to produce an analogue of all the bodies tissue nutrients, in engineered vegetables or synthetic foods.
    ------

These ideas are released under a Creative Commons Share and Share alike license

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ATB' post='345218' date='Jun 21 2006, 07:55 AM

kuru sure didn't raise anyone's IQ.

brain is ~80% lipid IIRC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombies don't seem very smart, either.
    Genomyx....Evolution in Action.

"Blood, Sweat, and Tears doesn't mean crying while you struggle to put your tampon in." ~D Sade

Lesson # 1 - You will never yield an honest crop by planting stolen seeds.
    Lesson # 2 - Integrity and rationality require a constant, lifelong effort. There are no time-outs from thought.
    Lesson # 3 - The hardest lessons burn and grind into your memory forever. You only have ONE chance to stand up for what you believe at any moment. Make sure you always do.
    Lesson # 4 - There is no such thing as a safe environment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blinded, we hurl ourselves into impossible division...Spirits crumbled and sprinkled into flesh." ~D Sade
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hail to the monkey with the missing tail...this lousy edifice - just a wishing wail" ~D Sade
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "That's right, asshole - I am stronger than I've ever been.
    Paltry death cannot hold me for long.
    Can it be that I am stronger, even, than...me?" ~D Sade, written to Bizarro D Sade
    -------------------------------------------
    In Ferrum Veritas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ATB' post='345218' date='Jun 21 2006, 10:55 AM

It certainly indicates that we ate a lot of certain foods, brains or fish, or both.

Most probably both.

I bet its the best food going. In a way, I guess the goal is to produce an analogue of all the bodies tissue nutrients, in engineered vegetables or synthetic foods.

I read a theory on "Wai Says" website (which I konw is not the most reliable site, nor is this animalssuffereing.com site) that says cholesterol is an important resons why humans are so smart, and that our brains are very highly concentrated in cholesterol, about 50x more per weight than other parts of our body. So obviously this is a source from animal products, although we do produce our own cholesterol to some extent.

Regarding brains, and even liver, kidneys, heart and other organs, these are very high in the amino acid Adenine (iirc), as are other 'high purine' proteins. Whereas chicken breast is very low in adenine. I used to get beef liver from the store for a while and eat it, but then i got some questionable product, and it looked like there was mucus or an infection on the liver (it had holes in it anyways?), and I figured it was probably from a diseased cow, something I did not want to be eating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone considering becoming a vegetarian for health reasons should spend a little time examining the teeth and digestive system of humans and compare with the same in a cow...we are not designed for an exclusive vegetable matter diet, we don't simply don't have the gear for it...
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, that makes sense about the teeth and stomachs ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36263624326712

The latest indications we have suggest that Einstein was vegetarian only for the last year or so of his life, though he appears to have supported the idea for many years before practising it himself.

i think this discredits the original article linked here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepusher' post='345369' date='Jun 21 2006, 08:24 PM

ya, that makes sense about the teeth and stomachs ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36263624326712

That, my friend, is no cow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D Sade' post='345240' date='Jun 21 2006, 05:54 PM

Zombies don't seem very smart, either.
    BS that is part of the antizombie movement!

Now in a more serious note, kuru was contracted by eating human flesh, particularly brains, but other tissues too, and also about 2/3 of the human poblation are resistant to it, in fact in the tribe where kuru was 1st discovered there was a decrease in the number of cases as the ones left alive had genetic resistance to it.

I guess eating cooked animal brains is not all that dangerous as I ate lots of brain as a child and kuru doesn't sound apealing.

Also I would fear more eating bobine flesh due to the current encephalitis epidemia in cows.

And about vegetarians, I know several quite intelligent ones, but all of them turned vegetarian into adulthood.

Also I think being vegetarian is healthy but not healthier than having a big amount of veggies and some meat.

The only place in wich being vegetarian makes sense is when looking at efficience, and even then there are some places that are not apt to grow anything more than grass wich is mostly non digestible by humans but quite digestible by cows.

But I also guess cows could be substituted by cellulose processing fungi.
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benson' post='345374' date='Jun 21 2006, 07:39 PM

That, my friend, is no cow...
    oops, i totally mixed my links for another forum. All it was, was citing the reference I found that stated Einstein was only a vegetarian for the last year of his life (lol, the year he died too ) Here is the corrected link, but its not all that important.

http://www.ivu.org/history/northam20a/einstein.html

regarding zombies, LOL @ Vlad and D Sade comments =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegetarianism carries a very high risk of making you more stupider. Here's a few studies I went through the trouble of looking up once. IMO, unless you really know what you're doing, and live in a wealthy country, strict vegetarianism is a risky endeavor. And subjecting children to veganism (i assume fruitiarian is a branch of veganism) is child abuse, and should be prosecuted.

Those people in your above quotes probably also ate eggs and dairy and fish. I think you could eat a healthy "vegetarian" diet if you include eggs and seafood.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/289/8/979

Neurologic Impairment in Children Associated With Maternal Dietary Deficiency of Cobalamin—Georgia, 2001

JAMA. 2003;289:979-980.

MMWR. 2003;52:61-64

2 tables omitted

During 2001, neurologic impairment resulting from cobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency was diagnosed in two children in Georgia. The children were breastfed by mothers who followed vegetarian diets.* This report summarizes the two cases and provides guidance for health-care providers on identifying and preventing cobalamin deficiency among breastfed infants of vegetarian mothers.

Case 1

During August 2001, a girl aged 15 months was hospitalized for lethargy and failure to thrive. She was born after a full-term pregnancy complicated by prolonged nausea and vomiting. She was breastfed for 8 months, but the extent (exclusivity) of breast milk consumed relative to other food was unknown. Her mother reported following a vegan diet during the preceding 7 years and took nutritional and vitamin supplements. The cobalamin content of the supplements was unknown. When the child was aged approximately 8 months, organic whole-grain cereals and fruit shakes were introduced, but she had a poor appetite and vomited regularly. Her parents became concerned about her growth and development, and she was evaluated by a pediatrician at age 15 months. The pediatrician diagnosed failure to thrive, developmental delay, and severe macrocytic anemia. The child was hospitalized, and cobalamin deficiency was diagnosed (marked elevation [not quantified] of urine methylmalonic acid; serum B12:100 pg/mL [normal range: 210-911 pg/mL]).

The child received supplementary food by mouth and by nasogastric tube. She also received 2 mg of cyanocobalamin and 3 mg of hydroxocobalamin intramuscularly (IM) over 3 days. Three days later, she had partial complex seizures, which stopped without anticonvulsants. A brain MRI indicated global cerebral atrophy. The mother was treated with 1 mg of cobalamin IM.

At age 16 months, the child was seen in a genetics clinic to eliminate possible genetic causes of her neurologic deficiency. At age 28 months, her developmental skills ranged from 9 months for fine motor skills to 18 months for gross motor skills. Her expressive language was at 10 months, and her receptive language was at 12 months. At age 32 months, she had made developmental progress but continued to have developmental delays, especially in speech and language. She was prescribed daily sublingual cobalamin supplements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...9123&query_hl=2

Annu Rev Nutr. 2004;24:299-326.

Vitamin B12 deficiency as a worldwide problem.

Stabler SP, Allen RH.

Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA. Sally.Stabler@UCHSC.edu

Pernicious anemia is a common cause of megaloblastic anemia throughout the world and especially in persons of European or African descent. Dietary deficiency of vitamin B12 due to vegetarianism is increasing and causes hyperhomocysteinemia. The breast-fed infant of a vitamin B12-deficient mother is at risk for severe developmental abnormalities, growth failure, and anemia. Elevated methylmalonic acid and/or total homocysteine are sensitive indicators of vitamin B12-deficient diets and correlate with clinical abnormalities. Dietary vitamin B12 deficiency is a severe problem in the Indian subcontinent, Mexico, Central and South America, and selected areas in Africa. Dietary vitamin B12 deficiency is not prevalent in Asia, except in vegetarians. Areas for research include intermittent vitamin B12 supplement dosing and better measurements of the bioavailability of B12 in fermented vegetarian foods and algae.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 15189123 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1677&query_hl=2

Can Fam Physician. 2004 May;50:743-7.

Vitamin B12 deficiency. Prevalence among South Asians at a Toronto clinic.

Gupta AK, Damji A, Uppaluri A.

Rexdale Community Health Centre, Ontario. patriciabaltazar@hotmail.com

OBJECTIVE: To estimate the prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in adult South Asian patients. DESIGN: Retrospective chart review. SETTING: Family practice clinic in Toronto, Ont. PARTICIPANTS: Records of 988 South Asian patients. INTERVENTION: Of 1000 randomly selected records, we found 988 charts. From charts with at least one documented B12 level, we extracted data on age, mean corpuscular volume (MCV), hemoglobin and ferritin levels, and diet (if available). Descriptive and analytic statistics were calculated. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Levels of serum B12 and factors associated with low levels of B12. RESULTS: B12 results were documented in 49% of charts; 46% of results showed deficiency. Patients older than 65 and vegetarians were more likely to be B12 deficient. Low serum B12 levels were positively correlated with low hemoglobin and ferritin levels and poorly correlated with low MCV levels. CONCLUSION: Many more South Asian patients than patients in the general population have vitamin B12 deficiency. A vegetarian diet seems a strong risk factor. A single low result, however, might not indicate true B12 deficiency.

PMID: 15171677 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...3278&query_hl=2

Public Health Nutr. 2004 May;7(3):467-72.

Homocysteine and cobalamin status in German vegans.

Waldmann A, Koschizke JW, Leitzmann C, Hahn A.

Institute of Food Science, University of Hanover, Wunstorfer Strasse 14, D-30453 Hanover, Germany.

OBJECTIVE: The study aimed to evaluate the homocysteine and cobalamin status of German vegans and determine whether the intake of very small amounts of foods of animal origin can improve this status. DESIGN AND SETTING: Cross-sectional study, Germany. SUBJECTS: The dietary and nutritional intakes of 131 vegans (73 women, 58 men; age range: 20.2-82.1 years) were evaluated using a general questionnaire and two food-frequency questionnaires. RESULTS: The prevalence of inadequate cobalamin status in volunteers of the German Vegan Study was 28.2%, and that of hyperhomocysteinaemia, 38.1%. Moderate vegans were affected to a lesser extent than were strict vegans. Duration of veganism and cobalamin concentration were inversely correlated (Spearman's r=-0.175, P=0.047). Folate concentration and erythrocyte aspartic acid aminotransferase activity were not correlated with plasma homocysteine concentration, but duration of veganism correlated positively with homocysteine concentration (Spearman's r=0.319, P<0.001). Cobalamin and homocysteine concentrations were inversely correlated (when controlling for duration of veganism; r=-0.602, P<0.001). CONCLUSION: Cobalamin status needs to be improved in order to minimise the risk of hyperhomocysteinaemia.

PMID: 15153278 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...234&query_hl=14

Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Sep;70(3 Suppl):576S-578S.

Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B-12) status in Seventh-day Adventist ministers in Australia.

Hokin BD, Butler T.

Pathology Department, Sydney Adventist Hospital and Adventist Health Department, Wahroonga, Australia. bevan@sah.org.au

As part of the Adventist Ministers' Health Study, a series of cross-sectional surveys conducted in 1992, 1994, and 1997, the serum vitamin B-12 status of 340 Australian Seventh-day Adventist ministers was assessed in 1997. The ministers in the study participated voluntarily. Of this group, 245 were either lactoovovegetarians or vegans who were not taking vitamin B-12 supplements. Their mean vitamin B-12 concentration was 199 pmol/L (range: 58-538 pmol/L), 53% of whom had values below the reference range for the method used (171-850 pmol/L) and 73% of whom had values <221 pmol/L, the lower limit recommended by Herbert. Dual-isotope Schillings test results in 36 lactoovovegetarians with abnormally low vitamin B-12 concentrations indicated that dietary deficiency was the cause in 70% of cases. Data from the dietary questionnaires supported dietary deficiency as the cause of low serum vitamin B-12 in this population of lactoovovegetarians and vegans, 56 (23%) of whom consumed sufficient servings of vitamin B-12-containing foods to obtain the minimum daily maintenance allowance of the vitamin (1 microg).

PMID: 10479234 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...567&query_hl=14

Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Apr;69(4):664-71.

Risk of persistent cobalamin deficiency in adolescents fed a macrobiotic diet in early life.

van Dusseldorp M, Schneede J, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Thomas CM, de Boer E, van Staveren WA.

Division of Human Nutrition and Epidemiology, Wageningen Agricultural University, Netherlands. Marijke.vandusseldorp@staff.nutepi.wau.nl

BACKGROUND: Cobalamin deficiency has been described in children consuming macrobiotic diets. OBJECTIVE: We investigated whether moderate consumption of animal products is sufficient for achieving normal cobalamin function in 73 adolescents who had received a macrobiotic diet until 6 y of age and had then switched to a lactovegetarian, lactoovovegetarian, or omnivorous diet (macrobiotic adolescents). DESIGN: Hematologic indexes and serum concentrations of methylmalonic acid (MMA), total homocysteine (tHcy), and folate were measured. Current consumption frequency of animal products and cobalamin intake from dairy products were assessed by questionnaire. Data from 94 age-matched adolescents who received an omnivorous diet from birth were used as a reference. RESULTS: Serum cobalamin concentrations were significantly lower and concentrations of MMA and folate and mean corpuscular volume (MCV) were significantly higher in macrobiotic adolescents than in control adolescents: of macrobiotic adolescents, 21% had abnormal MMA concentrations (>0.41 micromol/L), 37% had abnormal cobalamin concentrations (<218 pmol/L), 10% had abnormal tHcy concentrations (> 12.8 micromol/L), and 15% had abnormal MCV (> 89 fL). In macrobiotic adolescents, dairy products (200 g milk or yogurt and 22 g cheese/d) supplied on average 0.95 microg cobalamin/d; additionally, these adolescents consumed fish, meat, or chicken 2-3 times/wk. In girls, meat consumption contributed more to cobalamin status than the consumption of dairy products, whereas in boys these food groups were equally important. CONCLUSIONS: A substantial number of the formerly strict macrobiotic adolescents still had impaired cobalamin function. Thus, moderate consumption of animal products is not sufficient for restoring normal cobalamin status in subjects with inadequate cobalamin intake during the early years of life.

PMID: 10197567 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...120&query_hl=14

Am J Clin Nutr. 1994 May;59(5 Suppl):1176S-1181S.

Vegetarian diets and children.

Sanders TA, Reddy S.

Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Kings College, University of London, England.

The diets and growth of children reared on vegetarian diets are reviewed. Excessive bulk combined with low energy density can be a problem for children aged < or = 5 y and can lead to imparied growth. Diets that have a high content of phytate and other modifiers of mineral absorption are associated with an increased prevalence of rickets and iron-deficiency anemia. Vitamin B-12 deficiency is a real hazard in unsupplemented or unfortified vegan and vegetarian diets. It is suggested that vegans and vegetarians should use oils with a low ratio of linoleic to linolenic acid in view of the recently recognized role of docosahexaenoic acid in visual functioning. If known pitfalls are avoided, the growth and development of children reared on both vegan and vegetarian diets appears normal.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 8172120 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1310&query_hl=6

J Neurol Sci. 1987 Dec;82(1-3):55-65.

Central and peripheral SEP defects in neurologically symptomatic and asymptomatic subjects with low vitamin B12 levels.

Jones SJ, Yu YL, Rudge P, Kriss A, Gilois C, Hirani N, Nijhawan R, Norman P, Will R.

Medical Research Council, National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, Queen Square, London, U.K.

Somatosensory evoked potentials (SEPs) following median nerve stimulation were abnormal in 7 patients with sensory impairment due to vitamin B12 deficiency. Extensor plantar reflexes indicated a central sensory pathway lesion in 4 cases and absent tendon jerks suggested peripheral neuropathy in 4, but median nerve SEPs indicated a predominantly central lesion without marked peripheral nerve involvement in 6 and an axonal neuropathy without CNS involvement in 1. The latter had evidence of central slowing of conduction in SEPs following posterior tibial nerve stimulation. Consequently, it is suggested that the brunt of sensory pathway involvement usually falls on the CNS, although peripheral neuropathy may occur as the major abnormality in some cases. In 2 patients SEPs showed a marked improvement following treatment with vitamin B12 injections, one consistent with restored central conduction and the other with recovery from peripheral neuropathy. No peripheral or central SEP abnormalities were seen in 18 dairy-produce eating vegetarians with low vitamin B12 levels, although 6 reported mild sensory symptoms suggestive of peripheral neuropathy and 3 had corroborative clinical signs.

PMID: 2831310 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although vegetarianism and fruitarianism is a healthier diet choice (if done right) it doesn't necessarily mean it will make someone smarter, maybe provide healthier chemicals to the brain to give it better performance. But, in regards to IQ I think this has to do more with challenging the mind on a day-to-day basis and have a purpose to life in which to apply and grow from. Diet alone doesn't contribute to your intelligence, because lifestyle, environment, your self image, self worth, self esteem, health condition...and many other factors contribute to whether you can hit genius levels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neocube View Post
    Although vegetarianism and fruitarianism is a healthier diet choice
    That is a commonly held but poorly supported belief.

Thread Information