User Tag List

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also anecdotally... maca helped me some when I was just burnt out from buring the candle at both ends as a high school teacher...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These findings suggest that low SHBG and elevated DHEA-S are the hormonic alterations most often seen in cases of severe acne, although pretreatment DHEA-S levels did not correlate with the severity of the acne. It is concluded that OCs improve acne by increasing SHBG and decreasing DHEA-S levels.
    Looks like I found my answer: OC.

... oral contraceptives ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vestpocket :

Have you ever tried milk thistle ? A few members on the post Finasteride syndrome forums are being significantly helped by it. Although, I've never been on Finasteride, I too have experienced total loss of libido for 13 years now (with a mild improvement over the last year or so, only) and I've found milk thistle to be of significant help, before member of that forum started to post about it - until recently, I thought it was the placebo effect, but now I know there's more to it than the placebo effect, since others are also benefiting from it. What's more, milk thistle isn't exactly the type of substance you'd expect to benefit sexual functioning, but it does, at least in me and others who have suffered with low libido for a number of years. They too have tried a number of supplements and/or pharmaceutical drugs, but to no avail. I'm not saying all members there are benefiting from it, but many do.

The benefits I've experienced while on it are very much alike those experienced by the posters on the post Finasteride syndrome forum. I'm not entirely sure what milk thistle is doing to us though, that's helping us significantly. It's a noted anti-inflammatory (as Ex Dubio once mentioned). It's known benefits seem to mainly target liver functions, though I wouldn't be surprised for it to have other (known or unknown) actions. I prefer not to speculate at this point. I just thought I'd bring this up, as this is relevant to your situation.

Other substances I've found to be of benefit to me are (any substance I take, I test individually first in order to make sure of what does what) :

NAC
    Phosphatidylserine

P.S. I've also been found to have early NASH - making milk thistle's liver benefits more relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Douglas View Post
    Vestpocket :

Have you ever tried milk thistle ? A few members on the post Finasteride syndrome forums are being significantly helped by it. Although, I've never been on Finasteride, I too have experienced total loss of libido for 13 years now (with a mild improvement over the last year or so, only) and I've found milk thistle to be of significant help, before member of that forum started to post about it - until recently, I thought it was the placebo effect, but now I know there's more to it than the placebo effect, since others are also benefiting from it. What's more, milk thistle isn't exactly the type of substance you'd expect to benefit sexual functioning, but it does, at least in me and others who have suffered with low libido for a number of years. They too have tried a number of supplements and/or pharmaceutical drugs, but to no avail. I'm not saying all members there are benefiting from it, but many do.

The benefits I've experienced while on it are very much alike those experienced by the posters on the post Finasteride syndrome forum. I'm not entirely sure what milk thistle is doing to us though, that's helping us significantly. It's a noted anti-inflammatory (as Ex Dubio once mentioned). It's known benefits seem to mainly target liver functions, though I wouldn't be surprised for it to have other (known or unknown) actions. I prefer not to speculate at this point. I just thought I'd bring this up, as this is relevant to your situation.

Other substances I've found to be of benefit to me are (any substance I take, I test individually first in order to make sure of what does what) :

NAC
    Phosphatidylserine

P.S. I've also been found to have early NASH - making milk thistle's liver benefits more relevant.
    Thanks for the information, Chip. I used milk thistle when I was younger and into social drinking. I haven't returned to it since. It would make sense that milk thistle might help, since liver heath and SHBG expression are often on in the same. The same goes for NAC. In fact, NAC is indicated for females with PCOS (the genetic syndrome that both my mother and sister have that presents with low SHBG.) This problem began, for me before I used any medications.

What brand/dose of of milk thistle do you use?
    What brand/dose of NAC do you use? I actually currently take this, 500-1000mg per day. No effect of which I'm aware.

I should mention that I am currently using 30 mg of Striant (buccal testosterone) per day. I feel like total shit on this regimen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chainwehel View Post
    also anecdotally... maca helped me some when I was just burnt out from buring the candle at both ends as a high school teacher...
    a thing people like to ignore about maca is that it is a trace element wonder... especially high in copper, of which people forget that it is of utmost importance in energy metabolism
    visit my nutrition & exercise science blog!
    SuppVersity @ SuppVersity.blogspot.com

As ProfDrAndro, I am also one of the heads behind

BodyRX Radio @ www.bodyRXRadio.com
    and a frequent guest at Carl Lenore's
    SuperHumanRadio @ www.superhumanradio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vestpocket View Post
    Thanks for the information, Chip. I used milk thistle when I was younger and into social drinking. I haven't returned to it since. It would make sense that milk thistle might help, since liver heath and SHBG expression are often on in the same. The same goes for NAC. In fact, NAC is indicated for females with PCOS (the genetic syndrome that both my mother and sister have that presents with low SHBG.) This problem began, for me before I used any medications.

What brand/dose of of milk thistle do you use?
    What brand/dose of NAC do you use? I actually currently take this, 500-1000mg per day. No effect of which I'm aware.

I should mention that I am currently using 30 mg of Striant (buccal testosterone) per day. I feel like total shit on this regimen.

This is the brand of milk thistle I've used : http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2109 and so far as daily dose goes, I've been on 250 - 500 mg/day. I haven't taken it day in and day out though. I've noticed that even after it's been 3-4 days I haven't had any of it, that some or most of the benefits persist. Regarding NAC, I haven't had any for over two weeks now (because I'm testing another substance), but I'll normally be on 500 mg/day NAC. The brand I use for NAC is the same as the milk thistle.

Over the last two weeks, I've tested Now Food's stinging nettle - though I didn't expect it, it's made a remarkable improvement in my overall condition - I hadn't had any morning erections in years - now I do. It took an inordinate amount of stimulation for me to get it up 99% of the time - now little to no manual stimulation is needed. I have significantly more overall energy - daily chores no longer seem insurmountable. My mood has improved as well, though I've noticed, I'm less patient than I used to, which is a good thing, as I'd become a real pussy for years. I can now have sex and keep an erection while lying on my back - whereas it'd been years since I could without my hard-ons going limp. Stinging nettle has pretty much (so far at least) fixed me. Stinging nettle's main action is to reduce levels of the SHBG protein, causing free T to go up. From memory, I seem to recall that Divanilylltetrahydrofuran also inhibits the conversion of T to DHT, somewhat.

All MDs and everyone else, for seven straight years have told me that my hormones looked fine and that I needed to look elsewhere - actually, even I would think so. At first glance though, judging by the outcome while on stinging nettle, it would seem FT has been too low for me to experience any libido and proper erectile function (unless stinging nettle has other known benefits I'm not aware of). Given I haven't taken any other supplements while being on stinging nettle, I know the experienced benefits are coming from SN. FWIW, same thing as with the milk thistle, that is I can go for a few days without having any stinging nettle and yet retain part of the benefits. Over the last two weeks, the one thing that's really stuck out (no pun) was just how easy it's been for me to get it up, as opposed to the last 13 friggin years before that, where It required a heck of a lot of manual labor to get it to erect and even then, it wouldn't be sustained for more than a few seconds without starting on it's way back down. I'm astonished at how different it is now - I get significantly more diurnal erections. Just the mere thought of sex with my girl causes me to get erected - this hasn't happened to me for over 10 years - this is a heck of a long time without any decent sex life. Saying that I'm pissed off at the many years I had to spend like this, doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it and with good reason since these issues started at age 26 and I'm going to be turning 40 in March.

In no order of significance : NAC, milk thistle, phosphatidylserine and stinging nettle and rhodiola (though this last took a while to kick in) are the substances which for me (so far) have been of the most assistance in restoring me to my former self. Phosphatidylserine and milk thistle are those two supplements which have had the most positive impact on my overall well-being and mood. On NAC, I've found myself to be generally more collected, but there's been no obvious boost in mood that I could pick up. Stinging Nettle doesn't strikingly and favorably improve my mood, at least not directly from what I can see - however, given the many improvements it's brought about, I'd say it does improve mood, possibly indirectly. So far as rhodiola goes, though I've liked how I felt on it (after a while, but not initially), I prefer not to comment on it, at least not at this point, since I haven't experimented long enough with it after it kicked in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the brand of milk thistle I've used : http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2109 and so far as daily dose goes, I've been on 250 - 500 mg/day. I haven't taken it day in and day out though. I've noticed that even after it's been 3-4 days I haven't had any of it, that some or most of the benefits persist. Regarding NAC, I haven't had any for over two weeks now (because I'm testing another substance), but I'll normally be on 500 mg/day NAC. The brand I use for NAC is the same as the milk thistle.

Over the last two weeks, I've tested Now Food's stinging nettle - though I didn't expect it, it's made a remarkable improvement in my overall condition - I hadn't had any morning erections in years - now I do. It took an inordinate amount of stimulation for me to get it up 99% of the time - now little to no manual stimulation is needed. I have significantly more overall energy - daily chores no longer seem insurmountable. My mood has improved as well, though I've noticed, I'm less patient than I used to, which is a good thing, as I'd become a real pussy for years. I can now have sex and keep an erection while lying on my back - whereas it'd been years since I could without my hard-ons going limp. Stinging nettle has pretty much (so far at least) fixed me. Stinging nettle's main action is to reduce levels of the SHBG protein, causing free T to go up. From memory, I seem to recall that Divanilylltetrahydrofuran also inhibits the conversion of T to DHT, somewhat.

All MDs and everyone else, for seven straight years have told me that my hormones looked fine and that I needed to look elsewhere - actually, even I would think so. At first glance though, judging by the outcome while on stinging nettle, it would seem FT has been too low for me to experience any libido and proper erectile function (unless stinging nettle has other known benefits I'm not aware of). Given I haven't taken any other supplements while being on stinging nettle, I know the experienced benefits are coming from SN. FWIW, same thing as with the milk thistle, that is I can go for a few days without having any stinging nettle and yet retain part of the benefits. Over the last two weeks, the one thing that's really stuck out (no pun) was just how easy it's been for me to get it up, as opposed to the last 13 friggin years before that, where It required a heck of a lot of manual labor to get it to erect and even then, it wouldn't be sustained for more than a few seconds without starting on it's way back down. I'm astonished at how different it is now - I get significantly more diurnal erections. Just the mere thought of sex with my girl causes me to get erected - this hasn't happened to me for over 10 years - this is a heck of a long time without any decent sex life. Saying that I'm pissed off at the many years I had to spend like this, doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it and with good reason since these issues started at age 26 and I'm going to be turning 40 in March.

In no order of significance : NAC, milk thistle, phosphatidylserine and stinging nettle and rhodiola (though this last took a while to kick in) are the substances which for me (so far) have been of the most assistance in restoring me to my former self. Phosphatidylserine and milk thistle are those two supplements which have had the most positive impact on my overall well-being and mood. On NAC, I've found myself to be generally more collected, but there's been no obvious boost in mood that I could pick up. Stinging Nettle doesn't strikingly and favorably improve my mood, at least not directly from what I can see - however, given the many improvements it's brought about, I'd say it does improve mood, possibly indirectly. So far as rhodiola goes, though I've liked how I felt on it (after a while, but not initially), I prefer not to comment on it, at least not at this point, since I haven't experimented long enough with it after it kicked in.
    The benefits you receive from stinging nettle aren't necessarily due to occupancy of SHBG. According to this study, nettle extract suppressed lipopolysaccharaide-mediated increases in TNF-alpha and IL1-beta, suggesting that it decreases the inflammatory response to bacterial infection. If you have some sort of chronic illness involving elevated inflammatory cytokines, it's conceivable that nettle might have helped that way.

Though it's less directly related, I also happened to notice that in the abstract of this other study, the authors mention that nettle extract seems to reduce the Th1 response--I seem to recall that the balance between Th1/Th2 responding plays some role in CFS, so this could potentially be useful for that. Does anyone remember whether Th1 or Th2 is the type of T helper cell that is excessively expressed in CFS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this may sound trivial because I know some of you are taking more heavy hitters to effect T levels, but if someone wants to try a dirt cheap way to go to raise libido, I know this raises mine <and gives me bigger loads..haha> and it's Borax in your laundry isle at your grocery store. I know Boron use to be the craze when it was first talked about and then fizzled out, but there must be something to it..atleast for me. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference to someone who is younger who has higher T levels, but even though I am 55 years old..and didn't have a big problem with libido and/or obtaining erections before I tried Borax...I still notice an added effect. The "only" ingredient in my 20 mule team box of Borax is sodium tetraborate...minus all the filler crap that you always get in capsules or tablets. Magnesium stearate usually being the major culprit to cut back on absorption that you usually see in capsules and tablets. I know I read about a study online that only used sodium tetraborate in raising T levels and that is the only ingredient in Borax. Do NOT ingest "boric acid" for that is different and dangerous to ingest.

Instructions from another forum if anyone wants to try it is to take either 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon in a litre of water and drink all throughout the day. In other words, not to be guzzled down all at once. Do this for 4 to 5 days then take a 2 to 3 day break per week. I'd start out at the lower dose to see how that effects you. Borax is also a good candida killer.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The benefits you receive from stinging nettle aren't necessarily due to occupancy of SHBG. According to this study, nettle extract suppressed lipopolysaccharaide-mediated increases in TNF-alpha and IL1-beta, suggesting that it decreases the inflammatory response to bacterial infection. If you have some sort of chronic illness involving elevated inflammatory cytokines, it's conceivable that nettle might have helped that way.

Thanks for posting that - it caused me to recall about that rather recent thread on TNF-alpha inhibition and ED. Also, TNF-alpha and IL-1 inhibition through the use of stinging nettle, makes a lot more sense to me than lowered levels of SHBG because mine aren't even elevated to begin with.

However, in the first study you posted, it says they used nettle leaf extract - is there a significant difference in the benefits of stinging nettle root extract and stinging nettle leaf extract ? I'm using the stinging nettle root extract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian56 View Post
    I know this may sound trivial because I know some of you are taking more heavy hitters to effect T levels, but if someone wants to try a dirt cheap way to go to raise libido, I know this raises mine <and gives me bigger loads..haha> and it's Borax in your laundry isle at your grocery store. I know Boron use to be the craze when it was first talked about and then fizzled out, but there must be something to it..atleast for me. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference to someone who is younger who has higher T levels, but even though I am 55 years old..and didn't have a big problem with libido and/or obtaining erections before I tried Borax...I still notice an added effect. The "only" ingredient in my 20 mule team box of Borax is sodium tetraborate...minus all the filler crap that you always get in capsules or tablets. Magnesium stearate usually being the major culprit to cut back on absorption that you usually see in capsules and tablets. I know I read about a study online that only used sodium tetraborate in raising T levels and that is the only ingredient in Borax. Do NOT ingest "boric acid" for that is different and dangerous to ingest.

Instructions from another forum if anyone wants to try it is to take either 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon in a litre of water and drink all throughout the day. In other words, not to be guzzled down all at once. Do this for 4 to 5 days then take a 2 to 3 day break per week. I'd start out at the lower dose to see how that effects you. Borax is also a good candida killer.

Just my 2 cents.
    so would taking boron be the same thing? I've got a bottle of 3mg boron tabs. I haven't given them a try yet because I've read that it can increase estrogen in males.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tangozero View Post
    so would taking boron be the same thing? I've got a bottle of 3mg boron tabs. I haven't given them a try yet because I've read that it can increase estrogen in males.
    I have taken Boron pills before in the past. I have a better effect with the Borax. It might have something to do with the form of it being sodium tetraborate or maybe just simply the fillers in the tabs or capsules cut down on absorption. I'm just saying it's a dirt cheap way to go and I know how it effects me. Maybe someone else would get zero effects from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting that - it caused me to recall about that rather recent thread on TNF-alpha inhibition and ED. Also, TNF-alpha and IL-1 inhibition through the use of stinging nettle, makes a lot more sense to me than lowered levels of SHBG because mine aren't even elevated to begin with.

However, in the first study you posted, it says they used nettle leaf extract - is there a significant difference in the benefits of stinging nettle root extract and stinging nettle leaf extract ? I'm using the stinging nettle root extract.
    Ohhhh good catch. From what I can gather, the two are actually different, with the leaf being used primarily for its anti-inflammatory properties and the root being used primarily for treating BPH. I see some uncited claims that the root has some anti-inflammatory compounds in common with the leaf, but I can't find any solid evidence for or against the idea that nettle root extract would have similar anti-inflammatory properties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vestpocket - Have you considered experimenting with either:

1) Sustain Alpha (for its affect on GABA receptors and pituitary hormones) or
    2) Royal Jelly?

Just wondering. Looking for the same answers as you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwarrent1 View Post
    Vestpocket - Have you considered experimenting with either:

1) Sustain Alpha (for its affect on GABA receptors and pituitary hormones) or
    2) Royal Jelly?

Just wondering. Looking for the same answers as you.

What has royal jelly been found to do for this type of issue ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has royal jelly been found to do for this type of issue ?
    Is this what you were referring to : http://www.ergo-log.com/royaljellyhypofyse.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just read anecdotal accounts of increased libido and stronger orgasms attributed to Royal Jelly on the following websites:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ssrisex
    propeciahelp.com
    ejaculatoryanhedonia.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just read anecdotal accounts of increased libido and stronger orgasms attributed to Royal Jelly on the following websites:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ssrisex
    propeciahelp.com
    ejaculatoryanhedonia.com

Yes, thank you. I actually take Royal Jelly daily. The brand is Y.S. Eco Bee Farms, and purports to have 625mg of Royal Jelly per 1 tsp. I eat 2 tsp in the morning. I have not noticed anything from it, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still taking finasteride? Have you considered that it may be affecting your libido in some way that can't be quantified with a hormone panel?

My issues began after taking Luvox (an SSRI). That was 8 years ago (took it for 1 year). A few things that have helped me (somewhat) are:

Vitamin D
    Cialis
    Choline
    Sunflower Lecithin
    Zinc
    Dostinex
    Glyco-Carn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still taking finasteride? Have you considered that it may be affecting your libido in some way that can't be quantified with a hormone panel?

My issues began after taking Luvox (an SSRI). That was 8 years ago (took it for 1 year). A few things that have helped me (somewhat) are:
    Try oxiracetam. Gives me multiple orgasms and improves my libido tenfold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vitamin D
    Cialis
    Choline
    Sunflower Lecithin
    Zinc
    Dostinex
    Glyco-Carn

Have you tried ginkgo biloba and/or inositol powder ? I've been browsing PSSD forums and inositol has apparently fixed PSSD related issues in a number of people. Though ginkgo biloba has been well studied and clearly has also helped some people fight this, I've run across more success stories involving inositol powder.

Thread Information