User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a month ago I had a real bad case of the stomach flu. I ended up going in twice for IVs because I became so dehydrated.

One IV was inserted in a vein in the inside of my elbow. The flow rate seemed pretty fast as I was out of there in a lot less time than the other IV. A few days later, a bruise developed on the bicep about 5"-6" from where the IV was inserted. A few days ago, I noticed a bump in the bruised area. I am having a hard time telling, but it may be on that bigger, top vein on the bicep that is visible (see Layne's pipe veins to see what I'm talking about...not that mine looks like that), on a different vein under that particular vein, or just near some vein(s). It is not tender, nor is it warmer to the touch than other parts of my arm.

Is this common?
    I pooted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most superficial veins in the upper arm are the basilic (on the inside of the bicep) and cephalic (on the outside of the bicep). The median cubital vein connects the two, and thus is the most common IV site.

My best guess would be that the bump is extravasated fluid (blood/IV fluid that diffuses outside of bruised blood vessels forming a tiny clot), and I'm guessing further tha the unusual location of the bump(s) is due to the way these two veins are connected.

I have no idea how prevalent, but nicking a blood vessel inadvertently is probably not uncommon in hospitals (remember, it can happen on penetration or withdrawal).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now a family member of mine has a bump in their arm from having an IV in a couple weeks ago. She's complained of it getting sorer and bigger, and on her follow up trip to the doctor, he explained that it was a blood clot but not entirely serious. He said it should break down within a month.
    "The Cretan Liar." He might have written "This proposition is false" instead of "I am lying." The answer would be: "Very well, but which proposition do you mean?" -- "Well, this proposition." -- "I understand, but which is the proposition mentioned in it?" -- "This one." -- "Good, and which proposition does it refer to?" and so on. Thus he would be unable to explain what he means until he passes to a complete proposition.--Ludwig Wittgenstein, Zettel

Thread Information