User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proven Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Magnesium and others supplements for anxiety, depression...

Hi,

I am planning to order some supplements, which could help me a bit with my depression and anxiety disorder. For example, I want to order a magnesium, but I dont know that which type and brand(a manufacturer) is the best to buy for this purpose(oxide, chloride, glycinate....) ? I am also taking Xanax XR on daily basis, so maybe there is a magnesium version which could help prevent/reduce tolerance to BZD ?
    What others supplements would you recommend to buy for anxiety, stress, depression...for my disorder ?

Can someone possibly suggest me which supplements should I order from this site:
    http://www.iherb.com/ ...(something that really works for the above mentioned problems).

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a study that specifically mentioned magnesium taurate for treating depression.

When I took magnesium supplements I developed heart palpitations. I know magnesium is usually used to treat palpitations, but I think my mag levels were high to begin with (as opposed to most people's who are supposedly low). I had a blood test after coming off mag for a few weeks and it was right at the upper acceptable level.

I am posting from my phone now but when I get to my computer later I will post some info I have about different types.

I recommend mag taurate, though. It's a bit harder to find but vitamin shoppe carries it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's no wonder you're confused. There are a lot of choices for magnesium supplements:

Magnesium chloride
    Magnesium sulfate
    Magnesium malate
    Magnesium taurate
    Magnesium glycinate
    Magnesium gluconate
    Magnesium citrate
    Magnesium aspartate

Magnesium lactate
    Magnesium levulinate
    Magnesium pidolate
    Magnesium orotate
    Magnesium oxide

A few months ago I made this thread about magnesium here to try and learn more about the different types.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/4...ents-out-there

I also spent some time reading other forums to find out about the different types of Mag. Here are the notes I took. Disclaimer: I have no idea how accurate any of this is:

I am a fan of Magnesium Malate it is the only cost effective form where the other ingredient is actually doing some good and not potentially causing harm (magnesium taurinate also looks interesting as you get the taurine which I also take as a bonus). Aspartate (potentially neurotoxic), Citrate (laxative), Oxide (laxative, poor absorption), Glycinate (glycine has some odd effects in large doses, my daily TMG plus glycine in this form could cause problems), Orate (probably good just extremely expensive)
    http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic...tal-magnesium/

The best form of magnesium is magnesium taurate. It is magnesium chelated to taurine. Both have sedative effects, and are neuroprotective. I buy the one made by cardiovascular research. I used to use magnesium oxide -- just caused diahrea and I found out as little as 1% of it gets absorbed! Then I moved on to citrate, same thing. Magnesium Taurate causes no gastrointestinal upset. I've read magnesium glycinate is a cheap option too though.
    http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic...m/page__st__30

Note: I will agree that it has a sedative effect. Taurine by itself has a sedative effect for me, too.

Some other notes I got that I don't have the source for:

- Magnesium taurate is favored by most though, from what I have read.

- don't bother with mag glycinate unless it's an Albion. Plenty to choose from out there... Carlson, Bluebonnet, Douglas Labs, Solgar, etc

- orotate can cause cancer?

- citrate (laxative)

- if you get glycinate, get Albion
    solgar & carlson both sell it very cheap.

- Citrate thus appears to augment gastrointestinal aluminum absorption markedly, . .

- magnesium oxide is the cheapest kind, found in cheap multivitamins and supplements, isn't very bioavailable, and is a laxative. It's generally said that you shouldn't take this kind.

The kind of mag taurate I bought was Cardiovascular Research brand: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=CV-1094

I don't know how accurate the blood tests are, but you might want to get a magnesium test before you start supplementing it in case you're already at a high level.
    http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/4...ents-out-there

You also might want to ask your doctor if it's ok to mix magnesium with what you're currently taking now.

I will see if I can find the study about magnesium taurate and depression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is it possible that the magnesium can help for the anxiety or any depression .It was heard that some supplements are available in the market which is also consist of the magnesium if can be taken absolutely remove the depression so here I need more detail or explanation in this regard help me!
    I <3 M&M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has helped me immensely. I like Magnesium Bi-Glycinate myself. No stomach issues and seems to work great.

Here's the thread worth reading:

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic...y-effectively/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5-HTP is a good supplement for depression, anxiety, sleep aide, and more...

There is a supplement out there that combines ZMA & 5-HTP but you will have to PM me for the brand as they are not a sponsor here.

Questions? E-mail me at muscleaddiction@needtobuildmuscle.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also a supplement that combines L-Theanine and ZMA. Works very well. 5Htp is contraindicated for many using an SSRI so do be careful if need be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting list. I've always wondered this myself since I struggle with anxiety and depression as well. I tried medications for a while but I didn't find it helpful so I've gone off them. I would be curious to see if you feel a difference after trying any of the suggestions. I do think fish oil helps for me personally. But if something can further help I would like to try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have anxiety, and you've checked your blood, you are more than likely able to benefit from a chelated form of magnesium. Its said to be an NMDA antagonist which may block the actions of excessive glutamate, your body's chief excitatory chemical. It has a host of other benefits as well, especially if you'really deficient.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom; for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough". ~ William Blake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would come off the pharmaceutical drugs for anxiety. Drugs will not remedy your anxiety. You need to work on your thoughts through cognitive behavioral therapy if you want to overcome the anxiety. Drugs just mask the problem and cause new problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend P-5-P, metyl b12 and some form of chelated magnesium everyday. If I had to choose only one supplement it would be p-5-p from Now brand because it has some magnesium. I completely cured my anxiety with a high-potency vitamin/mineral complex and I suggest you buy one, however those 3 nutrients should be supplemented separately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DerMilos View Post
    I recommend P-5-P, metyl b12 and some form of chelated magnesium everyday. If I had to choose only one supplement it would be p-5-p from Now brand because it has some magnesium. I completely cured my anxiety with a high-potency vitamin/mineral complex and I suggest you buy one, however those 3 nutrients should be supplemented separately.
    P5P in what daily dose?
    "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom; for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough". ~ William Blake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnesium is a good way to reduce water weight gain and lower your blood pressure quickly, it makes you pee up a storm and they give it to pregnant women suffering from pre-eclampsia. Don't ask me which type of magnesium or in what concentration but it's definitely body altering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P5P in what daily dose?
    Start with 50mg. It is completely safe is higher doses, so you can try increasing the dosage if you feel it benefits you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely beat the severe anxiety disorder I had, using mostly natural supplements. My anxiety was intense and hellish, so bad that it often bordered on psychosis. This mental hell went on unabated for several years. You don't know the meaning of the phrase "living hell" until you have had severe anxiety disorder.

Finally, through much trial and error, and reading up on the neuroscience of anxiety disorder, I figured out what drugs and supplements could cure my anxiety disorder.

Please see my 3 threads on curing anxiety disorder:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Non-Standard Anti-Anxiety Treatment

Anxiety, Ammonia, and the NMDA Receptor

Abnormal brain chemistry is the underlying reason for anxiety disorder. The abnormal brain chemistry itself may be triggered by brain inflammation; this brain inflammation in turn may be due to infection. The infection does not necessarily have to be in the brain; it can be elsewhere in the body (eg: in the intestines), and cytokines or pro-inflammatory toxins like LPS from the infection site can travel to the brain and cause inflammation in the brain, thereby leading to the abnormal brain chemistry that can underpin anxiety.

So much of my approach to treating anxiety symptoms was to address the underlying inflammation in the body, especially in the gut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the poster above. I had an anxiety condition so bad, that I had planned to take my own life. Living hell was an apt description but I got help. I keep thinking of different supplements to take, along with the medication I'm already on. I have this enduring thought that, perhaps I can find the right combination and never have to take prozac again. My current thought is of trying several different B complex formulas but I'm interested in what I've read here. I may try magnesium too.

You mention infection being a possible cause? I've never heard that before and I do have a sinus infection that's haunted me for years. Food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dagscot View Post
    I agree with the poster above. I had an anxiety condition so bad, that I had planned to take my own life. Living hell was an apt description but I got help. I keep thinking of different supplements to take, along with the medication I'm already on. I have this enduring thought that, perhaps I can find the right combination and never have to take prozac again. My current thought is of trying several different B complex formulas but I'm interested in what I've read here. I may try magnesium too.

You mention infection being a possible cause? I've never heard that before and I do have a sinus infection that's haunted me for years. Food for thought.
    Hi Dagscot

I had a constant sinus infection/inflammation that seemed to be causing my anxiety symptoms. Since the sinus cavities are located in very close proximity to the amygdala (amygdala = the part of the brain responsible for instigating anxiety), my theory is that inflammation in the sinuses spills over into the amygdala, where it then precipitates amygdala inflammation as well, leading to an anxiety state (inflammation in the brain can create substances like glutamate and quinolinic acid, which can both drive anxiety states).

What worked exceptionally well for treating my sinus infection/inflammation was the supplement N-acetylglucosamine (NAG), at a dose of 750 mg once or twice daily, on an empty stomach if possible. NAG acts in the mucous membranes. Clearing my sinus infection/inflammation with NAG then dramatically reduced my anxiety symptoms (within a day or two). NAG is highly recommended if you have both anxiety and a chronic sinus infection/inflammation, as the latter is the likely cause for much of the former.

I take N-acetylglucosamine every day now, and it has been one of the best anti-anxiety drugs or supplements that I have come across (and I have tried out hundreds). More details of N-acetylglucosamine as an anti-anxiety treatment can be found in my thread: Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

I am always trying to to help other people with anxiety disorder, as I know what total hell this can be. So I like sharing the anti-anxiety treatments that have worked so well for me, in the hope that they will rescue other people from the living hell of anxiety disorder.

Incidentally, chronic low level infection is a proven cause of many physical and mental health conditions, and is a suspected (but not yet proven cause) of hundreds of others. Though amazingly, the general public are often unaware of the infectious etiologies behind everyday health conditions and diseases.

Cytomegalovirus and the bacterium Helicobacter pylori infection are linked to anxiety symptoms, for example. Refs: 1, 2. And Streptococcus infection is known and proven cause of around 25% of obsessive–compulsive disorder cases (OCD is a particular type of anxiety disorder).

See here for a list of physical and mental health conditions linked to infectious pathogens:

List of human diseases associated with infectious pathogens - Wikipedia

19. Likes bluedolphins74 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at this article http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...nal-chill-pill This is why I tell people to supplement with magnesium if they are suffering from depression or anxiety. Magnesium deficiency is very common and it will cause mental health issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would suggest the following:
    1-5HTP
    2-saint worth
    3-B vitams ( the active form)
    4-extra vitamin C (3-5 grams, in divided doses)
    5- NAC
    6-Omegas
    7-check for any abnormal levels of your vitamins & minerals & aminos there a complete blood test profile, which is the most fundemental approach a one can take to target any low levels that is reflected by psychological and physical illness.

Thread Information