User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do BCAA's and Leucine make me Sleepy?

Dose around 10 grams BCAA and 6 grams Leucine. Then I get crazy tired and just want to sleep. Also, it kills the appetite?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It definitely kills the appetite-that's one of the biggest reasons to use it, IMO. I don't know that I feel any sleepier with it, however. I will pay attention to that next time I use.

Does intake of protein-either in whey/powder form, or in the form of animal flesh do this to you as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaWd View Post
    It definitely kills the appetite-that's one of the biggest reasons to use it, IMO. I don't know that I feel any sleepier with it, however. I will pay attention to that next time I use.

Does intake of protein-either in whey/powder form, or in the form of animal flesh do this to you as well?
    Not at all. And I eat a lot of whey. Around 100 grams, per day. Just started with the BCAA and leucine 2 days ago. Maybe the lethargy will be short-lasted. Don't know. Maybe that's why I got tired?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BCAAs reduce dopamine levels, among other things.

If someone says something about you, and it really bothers you, it's probably because it's true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah- leucine will reduce appetite- which I like. Otherwise I would be 300lbs...maybe 300lbs of solid mass...but still 300lbs no matter how it looks will get you in the grave if you carry that year round into your 30's.....
    BigGunn
    Shameless Board Rep
    NRC
    Cabergolean.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always attributed it to insulin secretion and neuroglycopenic effects that result. Try eating a bunch of carbs with the BCAA's and see if you feel any different.
    "Also, can I rig some sort of enema out of household items?" -Tussman

"I don't have the stamina for a 3-some, and I am a one-pump chump" -Ubiyca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
    I always attributed it to insulin secretion and neuroglycopenic effects that result. Try eating a bunch of carbs with the BCAA's and see if you feel any different.
    Leucine+Glucose... the insulin spike is insane.

I didn't think leucine alone elevated insulin very much, and BCAAs for sure elevate it less than leucine alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackGuy View Post
    Leucine+Glucose... the insulin spike is insane.

I didn't think leucine alone elevated insulin very much, and BCAAs for sure elevate it less than leucine alone.
    If glucose is present, it could in fact be hypoglycemia... otherwise this may help clarify things
    J Nutr. 2005 Jun;135(6 Suppl):1539S-46S.
    Branched-chain amino acids and brain function.

Fernstrom JD.
    Source

Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, PA 15213, USA. fernstromjd@upmc.edu

Abstract

Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) influence brain function by modifying large, neutral amino acid (LNAA) transport at the blood-brain barrier. Transport is shared by several LNAAs, notably the BCAAs and the aromatic amino acids (ArAAs), and is competitive. Consequently, when plasma BCAA concentrations rise, which can occur in response to food ingestion or BCAA administration, or with the onset of certain metabolic diseases (e.g., uncontrolled diabetes), brain BCAA concentrations rise, and ArAA concentrations decline. Such effects occur acutely and chronically. Such reductions in brain ArAA concentrations have functional consequences: biochemically, they reduce the synthesis and the release of neurotransmitters derived from ArAAs, notably serotonin (from tryptophan) and catecholamines (from tyrosine and phenylalanine). The functional effects of such neurochemical changes include altered hormonal function, blood pressure, and affective state. Although the BCAAs thus have biochemical and functional effects in the brain, few attempts have been made to characterize time-course or dose-response relations for such effects. And, no studies have attempted to identify levels of BCAA intake that might produce adverse effects on the brain. The only "model" of very high BCAA exposure is a very rare genetic disorder, maple syrup urine disease, a feature of which is substantial brain dysfunction but that probably cannot serve as a useful model for excessive BCAA intake by normal individuals. Given the known biochemical and functional effects of the BCAAs, it should be a straightforward exercise to design studies to assess dose-response relations for biochemical and functional effects and, in this context, to explore for adverse effect thresholds.

PMID:15930466 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    visit my nutrition & exercise science blog!
    SuppVersity @ SuppVersity.blogspot.com

As ProfDrAndro, I am also one of the heads behind

BodyRX Radio @ www.bodyRXRadio.com
    and a frequent guest at Carl Lenore's
    SuperHumanRadio @ www.superhumanradio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)