User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Treatments for anhedonia

Anhedonia is still one of the most disorders to correctly fix and it is largely been ignored by docters who see a apathic anhedonic but not depressed patient as a healed patient in unfortionally too many cases.

Some treatment options are obvious like stimulants, low dose opiates etc, but i tought it would be a good idea to collect other alternative treatments togheter in a thread.
    One
    Exceeding, going further, crossing boundery's, taking risks greater then most, next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low dose amisulpiride, however tolerance is a big issue. http://biopsychiatry.com/amisulpridedop.htm

Mirtazepine, atleast added with atypicals for shizophrenia but it might work in other conditions too http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21950644
    One
    Exceeding, going further, crossing boundery's, taking risks greater then most, next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excercise is a must Molecular aspects involved in swimming exercise... [Neuroscience. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Agomelatine shows effiacy in anhedonia Major depressive disorde... [J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2011 Jan-Mar] - PubMed - NCBI
    Alcar, atleast if you liked to get drunk http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21256179
    Nicotine if your a mouse http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21169388
    Wellbutrin can help http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15013248
    SSRI's can make it worse in certain subgroups of depression, however this shouldnt be an issue with that one that also raises dopamine http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20034615
    One

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You found quite a few interesting papers, medievil, thanks! I was going to do a thread about anhedonia and apathy too sometime, but alas, I'm too anhedonic and apathetic for that.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anterior cingulate cortex GABA levels are low in anhedonic depression:
    Anterior Cingulate Cortex {gamma}-Aminob... [Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

5-HT 6 receptors play a role in anhedonia:
    Effects of the 5-HT(6) receptor agonist ST 1... [Behav Brain Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    (Agonists interfere with acquisition of anhedonia, but do not reverse chronic anhedonia)

The possible role of the kynurenine pathway ... [J Neural Transm. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im trying to build a foundation under my stimulants so i have something i fall back on where i'm half dysfunctional (also after withdrawals), a smoother transition would be nice wich is why i wanted to add in reboxetine in low doses wich has been said to also potentiate ritalin, should give me energy and perhaps also work for anhedonia, not sure about that last tough.
    One

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats very interesting as youd expect more anhedonia with reducing synaptic glutamate, but it has alot of differend actions, clearly having a positive effect here, in my case its neutral hedonia wise but modulates the euphoria of other drugs and takes away my addictive personality.
    One

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5HT2C receptor agonists exhibit antidepressant-like properties in the anhedonia model of depression in rats.

Now that was unexpected, unless it works by downregulating the receptor.. I'm too overstimulated to read the whole thing right now.
    Edit: Okay, it does work by downregulation:
    The observation that chronic treatment with compounds
    endowed with either agonistic or antagonistic properties at
    brain 5HT2c receptors leads to similar antidepressant-like
    effects in the anhedonia model may seem paradoxical.
    However, it is consistent with the observation that 5HTzc
    receptors deviate from classical receptor regulation dogma
    by exhibiting a paradoxical down-regulation after chronic
    agonist as well as antagonist treatment (Blackshear et al.,
    1983; Pranzatelli, 1991; Barker and Sanders-Bush, 1993;
    Pranzatelli et al., 1993). The serotonergic system is known
    to adapt to chronic exposure of either agonists or antago-
    nists in a fashion distinctly different from that exhibited by
    other monoamine neurotransmitter systems (Darmani et
    al., 1992). Therefore, the down-regulating capacity of
    5HTzc receptor agonists and antagonists may play a
    particularly important role in treating 5HT2c receptor
    system supersensitivity resulting from a depressive state.
    Deep brain stimulation to reward circuitry alleviates anhedonia in refractory major depression.
    The solution to every mental problem...

SAMe works too (in furry little nonhumans):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10401554

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes me wonder how oxiracetam would perform for anhedonia.
    Eur J Pharmacol. 1995 Jan 16;272(2-3):203-9.
    Putative cognition enhancers reverse kynurenic acid antagonism at hippocampal NMDA receptors.
    Pittaluga A, Pattarini R, Raiteri M.
    Source
    Istituto di Farmacologia e Farmacognosia, Genova, Italy.
    Abstract
    Oxiracetam, aniracetam and D-cycloserine, three putative cognition enhancers, were examined in a functional assay for NMDA receptors. Rat hippocampal slices or synaptosomes were labeled with [3H]noradrenaline and exposed to NMDA or glutamate in superfusion. NMDA (100 microM) elicited a remarkable rise (about 500%) in the release of [3H]noradrenaline from slices. The effect of NMDA was antagonized by the glutamate receptor blocker, kynurenic acid. The antagonism by 100 microM kynurenate was reduced by submicromolar concentrations of oxiracetam and totally reversed by 1 microM of the drug. The concentration-antagonism curve for kynurenic acid was shifted to the right in the presence of 0.2 or 1 microM oxiracetam. Aniracetam and D-cycloserine, as well as glycine and D-serine, behaved similarly to oxiracetam: all compounds, tested at 1 microM, reversed the antagonism by 100 microM kynurenate of the NMDA-evoked [3H]noradrenaline release. In superfused hippocampal synaptosomes, 100 microM NMDA or glutamic acid elicited the release of [3H]noradrenaline; the evoked release was enhanced by glycine, but not by oxiracetam. In this preparation 1 microM glycine or 1 microM oxiracetam prevented the antagonism by kynurenate of the NMDA- or the glutamate-evoked [3H]noradrenaline release. As kynurenic acid is an endogenous glutamate receptor antagonist whose brain levels are known to increase in conditions associated to cognitive deficits, it is proposed that the putative cognition enhancers tested may act in vivo by relieving the antagonism produced by excessive endogenous kynurenate.
    One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COX-2 inhibitors can potentially be effective for anhedonia looking at their interaction with kynurenic acid and dopamine Effects of COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitors on the firing ... [Synapse. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antimuscarinics will work, but they might have too many unpleasant side effects and make you too stupid.
    One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DLPA? Dont know this supplement well but as it raises endorphine's is it considered a good treatment for anhedonia?

It appears that piracetam doesnt interact with kynurenic acid, however oxiracetam, pramiracetam and aniracetam (?) do and may be worth checking out for anhedonia related issues.
    One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very anhedonic and unmotivated from my 40 mg paroxetine...but it's good for some my symptoms of depression. I will wait a month or two more to see it's gonna fade in time. If not, I will take my paroxetine with 30 mg of mirtazapine. I think all about anhedonia and motivation with SSRI it's 5-ht2c agonism. So adding mirtazapine (strong 5-ht2c antagonist) should help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think 5HTC agonism is the cause of SSRI induced anhedonia as that only relates to tonic dopamine levels, IMO the problem is that balance gets shifted from phasic serotonin to tonic.

Mirtazepine can help by disinhibiting monoamine release tough.
    One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I theorise st johns worth to be a potentially effective treatment for anhedonia due to its ability to upregulate 5HT2A and disinhibition of monoamine release.

Ginseng wich acts as a 5HT2A agonist could work too by increasing phasic levels of dopamine.
    One

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a reference for that, but AFAIR if you had anhedonia before starting treatment, SSRIs might very well help, but anhedonia and apathy can be side effects from SSRI treatment too, and might be a different beast entirely.. I believe the common course of action in the second case is lowering the dosage of the SSRI, if thats an option..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, maybe I will go down to 20 mg...But I'm going to stay on 40 mg for some time now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MeDieViL View Post
    I theorise st johns worth to be a potentially effective treatment for anhedonia due to its ability to upregulate 5HT2A and disinhibition of monoamine release.

Ginseng wich acts as a 5HT2A agonist could work too by increasing phasic levels of dopamine.
    Just for the record, I'm very skeptical of this.

Increasing 5-HT2A activation should increase phasic DA release, it's true, but there's a lot more going on with SJW than just 5-HT2A upregulation. It's an incredibly complex drug.

And, anecdotally, while SJW made me feel incredibly happy and relaxed, it is perhaps the single most de-motivating drug I've ever taken. There are other anecdotals (e.g. from Funk, et al.) that support this, too.

Certainly try it if you think it will help, but I wouldn't get too hopeful.

As to ginseng, no idea; there aren't a lot of case reports of positive effects from the stuff, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MeDieViL View Post
    I dont think 5HTC agonism is the cause of SSRI induced anhedonia as that only relates to tonic dopamine levels, IMO the problem is that balance gets shifted from phasic serotonin to tonic.

Mirtazepine can help by disinhibiting monoamine release tough.
    5-HT2C is heavily implicated in start-up symptoms of SSRIs, and anhedonia tends to be worse at start-up.

Moreover, your logic doesn't quite work. While it is true that phasic DA is closely related to reward, it's also true that tonic DA is closely related to punishment. (Aversive effects are often encoded by reduced tonic DA.)

Thus decreased tonic DA will not necessarily decrease the reward of certain activities directly, but it would be expected to decrease baseline contentment, which may well result in difficulties with motivation and reward.

Thread Information