User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pulsating, throbbing vein in the temple area

Hey guys,

This has really been bothering me. There is a vein on the temple of the right side of my head that will often start throbbing and moving around. It will randomly start pulsating and twitching at any time of the day, and it happens when I'm active or just laying down. It is accompanied by a strong feeling of pressure. When it happens you are able to see it moving around, and if I put hold my fingers over it it is very easy to feel. Sometimes it happens on my left temple but not as much.

A quick google search shows that it is probably an artery, and not a vein. More specifically, it looks like the superficial temporal artery. Does anyone know anything about this or if it it something to worry about? Thanks

For what it's worth, the Promethease report of my DNA says that I am at a high risk for aneurysm, high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease etc (basically every cardiovascular thing). A recent checkup shows a body mass index in the normal range, and a borderline abnormal systolic blood pressure value of 120 which is borderline prehypertension (diastolic value was 70).

Interestingly, an ultrasound of my right and left carotid arteries both show abnormal PSV (peak systolic velocity) values of 143 and 135, respectively. This is in the "significant" range of artery blockage, which is 50% or more blockage if the value is above 125. The superficial temporal artery that I feel pulsating is a part of the carotid artery.

Superficial temporal artery:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was really annoying the entire day today, much more than normal, but it finally went away. What a relief not to feel that damn pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get this too but I've just attribute it to a particularly nasty TMJ disorder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see mine pulsing sometimes too. If I look closely I can see the vein in my neck, my stomach thumping, etc.

It's normal.

I had an anxiety disorder (that is 99% gone) and I used to OBSESS over it. Every day I would notice it and wonder how come mine is so pronounced? I would immediately notice it when I looked in the mirror each morning. Now, I never think about it anymore. I can't remember the last time I actually saw it in the mirror. If I purposely looked for it I'm sure I could, but I just don't care anymore because I know it is normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever get pressure with it and some discomfort? The reason I posted this today was because it was especially bad all day, it was throbbing all day and the pressure was worse than usual. The ultrasound I had done makes me especially concerned when combined with the symptoms. It even hurts more on the side that had the worse PSV value which matches up..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azx View Post
    I get this too but I've just attribute it to a particularly nasty TMJ disorder.
    TMJ disorders suck, I have a bad one also. It's basically the worst thing ever. My jaw was dislocated once and I think that's what caused it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also something that may contribute, is that I am in the 10% or so of people who are homozygous for the gene that can't metabolize folate. High homocysteine levels (linked to the folate disorder) have been shown to increase clotting and blockages. I guess it might be a good idea to start taking the methyl folate.. I never really took it much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey this problem started for me about 4 years ago. Both sides of the arteries in my temples throb. The temples pop out if I chew a lot of gum or chips etc or if I talk fast or a lot. I'm just wondering what doctor you saw to get the ultrasound done and where you did your DNA test etc. I've been trying to find the right doctor. I'm tired of these docs saying it's something psychological, when I can feel it very physically. I'd like to get a temporal artery bioposy (opthamologist) but I'm not sure where to get that ultrasound like you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi apanihi,

The screenings I got done was a collection of tests called an AngioScreen. You can google it and look at sample reports to see what is included. My local hospital offers it once or twice a year for a discount of only about $100. I didn't see any real doctors when I did it though, so I wouldn't count on talking to anyone who knows much when you do it. It is interesting though because the side showing more blockage is the side where it bothers me. I have been taking methylfolate and aspirin once or twice a week, and the problem has mostly gone away. Aspirin is an irreversible inhibitor against the enzyme that forms prostoglandins, so the beneficial effect should last a few days from one dose.

The DNA tests you can get done at 23andme.com or other similar sites. There's plenty of info about the process if you search around this site. Once you get the raw data from whichever service you use, you can download the Promethease program which has some great analysis. Good luck. Yea, it is difficult to find good doctors sometimes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sterling100 View Post
    Hi apanihi,

The screenings I got done was a collection of tests called an AngioScreen. You can google it and look at sample reports to see what is included. My local hospital offers it once or twice a year for a discount of only about $100. I didn't see any real doctors when I did it though, so I wouldn't count on talking to anyone who knows much when you do it. It is interesting though because the side showing more blockage is the side where it bothers me. I have been taking methylfolate and aspirin once or twice a week, and the problem has mostly gone away. Aspirin is an irreversible inhibitor against the enzyme that forms prostoglandins, so the beneficial effect should last a few days from one dose.

The DNA tests you can get done at 23andme.com or other similar sites. There's plenty of info about the process if you search around this site. Once you get the raw data from whichever service you use, you can download the Promethease program which has some great analysis. Good luck. Yea, it is difficult to find good doctors sometimes...
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That is what I was missing the AngioScreen. I found 23andme and played around with Promethease a bit. I was also accepted as an eligible donor for the Human Genome Project. So I might just be able to get the raw data for free from them, and they might learn something from me, works all around!

I've been drinking some hibiscus tea and taking aspirin. My headaches don't last 3-4 hours anymore they maybe last 20-30mins now. I also sometimes wear a headband at home to constrict the quivering veins. It's such an irritating feeling, but this technique helps a lot. I ordered some CoQ10 and since the methylfolate has helped you, I'll try that as well.

Thank you for getting back at me and helping me get 1 step closer to hopefully fixing whatever is wrong with me. As someone once told me the healthy don't understand the sick. Take care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apanihi View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That is what I was missing the AngioScreen. I found 23andme and played around with Promethease a bit. I was also accepted as an eligible donor for the Human Genome Project. So I might just be able to get the raw data for free from them, and they might learn something from me, works all around!

I've been drinking some hibiscus tea and taking aspirin. My headaches don't last 3-4 hours anymore they maybe last 20-30mins now. I also sometimes wear a headband at home to constrict the quivering veins. It's such an irritating feeling, but this technique helps a lot. I ordered some CoQ10 and since the methylfolate has helped you, I'll try that as well.

Thank you for getting back at me and helping me get 1 step closer to hopefully fixing whatever is wrong with me. As someone once told me the healthy don't understand the sick. Take care!
    That sounds pretty cool about the Human Genome Project. I drink hibiscus tea too sometimes and it is very tasty. Oh, and I forgot to add that I also Vitamin K2 two or three times a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sterling100 View Post
    That sounds pretty cool about the Human Genome Project. I drink hibiscus tea too sometimes and it is very tasty. Oh, and I forgot to add that I also Vitamin K2 two or three times a week.
    Hey I thought I had to let you know about this, because your awesome information helped me so I need to share this. I ate some moldy blackberries and went into anaphylactic shock. In the emergency room they gave me benadryl, decadron and lorazepam. What happened was a miracle. My allergic reaction stopped and what I noticed when I left the hospital is that when I smelled the scents or perfumes that usually set off my migrane for hours, it did nothing! I then walked by a cigarette smoker and again nothing!

I went online and looked up Decadron and found this article from a doctor at the University of Colombia. He treated a 24/7 migrane patient with Decadron with awesome results, check it out:

j f p o n l i n e dot com / Pages.asp?AID=7677

This thing wont let me post links until I have 10 posts, I had to share this.

It's a powerful steroid, so you can't take it all the time, but in my case I need it because my body doesn't produce enough adrenaline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys

My name is Tanner and I stumbled across this thread in search for "the cure" for my pulsating, throbbing vein in my right temple. My symptoms are exactly the same as the ones you described sterling and I wonder if you can touch base on your improvement?

I am now 20 years old and had this pulsating feeling for about a year now and I really want to get to the bottom of it and live my life without this distraction. I feel this sensation every day at different times. It seems to intensify when I am watching a screen, cell phone use or loud music. My eating and fitness habits are well carried out as my greatest hobby is achieving a healthy body and mind. As I type this out the feeling is numb on my right side of my head, almost what seems to be a high pitch ringing as well ( could be from my recent tonsillectomy ) Do you guys ever experience a high pitch ring? I also encounter sudden bursts of fast heart pulses which in turn effects my head.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your health and overall well being, and I hope you guys can suggest some hopefully natural remedies for overcoming this obstacle.

Hopefully talk to one of you soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner G View Post
    Hey guys

My name is Tanner and I stumbled across this thread in search for "the cure" for my pulsating, throbbing vein in my right temple. My symptoms are exactly the same as the ones you described sterling and I wonder if you can touch base on your improvement?

I am now 20 years old and had this pulsating feeling for about a year now and I really want to get to the bottom of it and live my life without this distraction. I feel this sensation every day at different times. It seems to intensify when I am watching a screen, cell phone use or loud music. My eating and fitness habits are well carried out as my greatest hobby is achieving a healthy body and mind. As I type this out the feeling is numb on my right side of my head, almost what seems to be a high pitch ringing as well ( could be from my recent tonsillectomy ) Do you guys ever experience a high pitch ring? I also encounter sudden bursts of fast heart pulses which in turn effects my head.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your health and overall well being, and I hope you guys can suggest some hopefully natural remedies for overcoming this obstacle.

Hopefully talk to one of you soon
    I found out that I had celiac disease. I was a daily consumer of dairy, wheat and glutens. I switched to a chicken, fish and veggetable diet. Not only did I lose 60lbs but I eliminated all my headaches and throbbing pain.

I was an avid dairy consumer I loved milk and cheese. I never understood why after eating these foods id get terrible pain in my temples and a head pressure feeling. Now Im much better in that regard. I drink lots of water and exercise regularly.

Unfortunately I have not been around to answer as life has brought me much worse problems to deal with.

Feel free to google celiac disease and mental illness. A doctor removed dairy, wheat, eggs and other items that affect the problem and patients recovered 4 times faster without drugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! thanks for your quick response

Was your symptoms the same as I described? I will certainly do some more research on celiac disease and eliminate dairy and gluten. Wheat as well?

I have been aware of the effects of wheat on the body from the book " wheat belly " and I found it difficult to eliminate wheat from my diet in the past. Do you eat no wheat whatsoever? I eat organic sprouted grain flax seed bread and love to eat oats and millet. And what about rice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah google answered most of the questions I asked here

Thanks so much for your insight! If you have any other info I would greatly appreciate it

I would love to hear from anyone else with the same issue. Don't hesitate to send a message

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the stress caused by worrying about your pulsating vein will make it worse. Try to stop worrying about the vein and any of the consequences. Live a healthy life and try to relax. Stress is the biggest killer and there's nothing you can do if you are destined to have a heart attack. Just be healthy and chill!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's normal and is most likely just stressed. Don't worry about the vein, nothing will happen to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get this all the time. I just assumed that it was stress related. Nonetheless it still worries me because my mild hypochondriac tendencies lead me to google the possible causes and I get terrfied that it's something possibly severe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a similar problem to yours but I feel a throbbing lump at the front of my head. I can feel it throbbing whenever I feel stressed and I am not breathing properly. I'm not exactly sure what it is but I have had it since I was a kid so it's not a tumor or anything sinister.

Thread Information