User Tag List

Administrator Extraordinaire WW7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Late night eating makes you fat?

Nice article from Martin about when we eat.

It's commonly believed that it's better to eat more earlier in the day and less later in the day; eating late can supposedly interfere with fat loss and/or cause unwanted weight gain. In a nutshell, this myth is summed up by the saying that you should "eat breakfast like a king, lunch a queen, dinner like a pauper."

You will often find proponents of broscience clinging to the notion that carbs somehow become more fattening after 6 P.M. This is nonsense of course.....
    Is Late Night Eating Better for Fat Loss and Health? | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    "If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough."-Lombardi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like. In case you meant to answer that question with a yes, I was going to link with that very article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post. I've been following his methods for over 3 months now with great success
    MR Supps Representative

http://www.mrsupps.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post by Martin.

I think the oversimplified thinking goes like this:

If I eat, I must "burn" my calories off. Therefore, since eating late does not allow for me to "burn" as many calories as breakfast or lunch, I should not eat as many calories in the evening as in the morning/afternoon.

It's the "burn" mentality espoused by TV trainers (a la "Biggest Loser"), and the standard crappy trainer alike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaWd View Post
    It's the "burn" mentality espoused by TV trainers (a la "Biggest Loser"), and the standard crappy trainer alike.
    Right. And what is lost on most people is that the vast majority of the calories you "burn" in a day are expended on the basic functions of being alive...functions that continue after 8PM...
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I should elaborate my point...

On top of the "burning" off of calories consumed, there is also the "excess calories are stored as fat" mindset.

So a more complete fatty mindset looks like this:

- If I eat, I must burn off the calories I consume.
    - If I do not burn the calories I consumed, it will turn to fat.
    - Since I am active more during the day, and have more of a chance to burn off those consumed calories, I should consume more calories during my active times.

This mindset assumes that:

A- calories in - calories out = burn
    B- fat depositing is due to caloric excess alone
    C- lack of "burn" of consumed calories will cause fat depositing

Etc.

We all know it's rubbish, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating late night can make you fat IF you eat big meal or didn't count calories intake but if you eat small meal late, you will able to maintain healthy body weight. Depends on what are your goals!
    Toplevelfit Fitness
    1701 Quincy Ave Unit 26,
    Naperville IL 60540
    773-359-1771

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late night eating is not good for health. It causes weight gain and fat so we should avoid eating late night and should eat dinner at time. It is also good to reduce the quantity of food from dinner and should eat less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrToddLee View Post
    Wow most of that is entirely bull shit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy to say with no picture of yourself. Do you have any evidence Im wrong? or any proof you know what your talking about?
    I would be nice, But you called my article bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy to say with no picture of yourself. Do you have any evidence Im wrong? or any proof you know what your talking about?
    I would be nice, But you called my article bullshit.
    I dont care if you're nice or not. Show me one reputable piece of research that proves eating 5 or more meal ramps up your metabolism better than 3. You got you math right about caloric intake though so you are on the right track. It simply does not make an appreciable difference when you consume your daily calories with respect to being fat. It can improve your post workout recovery to eat some carbs with your protein right after you train but as far as the rest it just doesn't matter enough to worry with unless you are single digit bf. And speaking of that the ideal body fat for an adult male isn't 6-9%. It's quite insane and disingenuous to put that in an article. Most people never get to single digit body fat pct. You may or may not be an expert on medical issues. I do not know and wouldn't have commented on any thing you said with regard to a post on a medical subject. I myself am an MLS but I've also got a degree in biology and I have over 20 yrs training and nutrition experience. I've seen and heard all of the fads and wonder diets and bull shit training protocols out there. Eat fewer cals than you need and use resistance training at a high enough intensity and you can maintain muscle and lose weight that will be more fat and less lbm than if you diet alone. As for pics of me here is one and im a bit below my norm weight at this time due to working a brutal schedule lately but it'll have to suffice. Btw im 48 yrs old.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good pic. I nor can most people, get all that food down in 1 sitting. That's why it's in there. And there is a thermocouple effect to food. I included a workout in part 2 and how to modify the diet in part 3. I agree calories and weights are what really matters. So simply having multiple not 3 meals makes all 1500 words bullshit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good pic. I nor can most people, get all that food down in 1 sitting. That's why it's in there. And there is a thermocouple effect to food. I included a workout in part 2 and how to modify the diet in part 3. I agree calories and weights are what really matters. So simply having multiple not 3 meals makes all 1500 words bullshit?
    No but with regard to your take on bf pct and the fact that as a MD surely you know that the majority of people have never nor will they reach single digit bf pct. The whole thing is ( and ill change my metaphor here out of respect for you, and maybe i should have used more diplomatic words to begin with ) baloney because you have basically copied a very generic blueprint, that can be found ad nauseum all over the net, and put it in your own words in article form as if you invented it. Training and diet are more variable to individuals bio chemistry than some simple road map. Its all calories and training but each person responds a bit differently to different protocols as you should well know. Some may feel more comfortable on high fat low carb plans other can cycle carbs and lower fat, some may be more able to use intermittent fasting and take most of their cals in a small window and others can utilize the many small meals approach. I get asked nearly every day, "what is the best diet to go on" ? I always reply the same thing as the best work out. Its the one you can stick to. That takes me getting to know them as individuals and working with them so they get results w/o being miserable. Otherwise they surely will fail. In short i think your article sounds like a quasi Dr Oz episode. But hey he, and the guy who invented charging outrageous amounts of money to jump up and down on boxes and flip tires and named it Crossfit, got rich...so maybe you will too. I just would expect more from someone with your training and background. Sorry if ive offended you. As i said earlier I should have phrased my original response differently. For that i apologize.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, this is supposed to be simple for beginners. It's not about you. And as a bodybuilding judge writing a bodybuilding article on a bodybuilding website It is reasonable to say 6-9 is the right amount of body fat. It's not about your crossfiters and couch potatoes feelings. I'm not Oprah or her tool, Dr. Oz. I'm a champion bodybuilder and my goal is to help people be te best they can be not worry about their feelings and give them a baby wipe.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I sited John Keifer as the originator of carb bak loading, I didn't pretend it's my idea. If someone is to weak to success survival of the fittest, you seem very compassionate. Good for you, I don't feel bad for people who fail because they are weak. This whole society needs to grow up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're passionate too. Mainly about yourself it seems but thats not a bad thing at all imo. I just believe in giving folks the benefit of the doubt because many have been misled by too many internet gurus, Dr Oz's (and yeah he's oprahs piss boy) and P90x ers. So i try and help them see the reality of it. Its not altruism though...i agree there is a lot of self made victims who need to grow up. You must be delusional if you believe 6-9% is the right amt of body fat though. You know as a body builder thats difficult to achieve let alone maintain. Very few people on earth walk around year round less than 12-15% so we can just disagree; however your audience will always be more the couch potatoes than professional level bodybuilders, and not all those who are in less than ideal shape are weak. You tend to sound arrogant when you speak that way and its not going to gain you any new readers. Ill end my say in our little discussion by reiterating my original point. It matters what you eat and in what amounts far far more than when in the day you eat. Even to those in ideal condition.

Thread Information