User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OCD and Anxiety with High Histamine Please Help

Hi everyone. I have been diagnosed with high histamine due to a lack of DAO enzyme. This is borne out by various food intolerances, flushing, diarrohea, you name it...

Recently my OCD and anxiety have been off the scale. I can barely sit still and am obsessing constantly. My psych has tried me on three different SSRIs all of which made the anxiety worse.

Can anyone help? Any ideas on anti ddepressants - I know about trycyclics being good for histaminey people but how about any of the anti anxiety drugs? Or bi-polar ones? I tried Seroquel and that sent me mad.

Thank you so much for ANY input. My psych does not have a clue and am unhappy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by missmarple View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been diagnosed with high histamine due to a lack of DAO enzyme. This is borne out by various food intolerances, flushing, diarrohea, you name it...

Recently my OCD and anxiety have been off the scale. I can barely sit still and am obsessing constantly. My psych has tried me on three different SSRIs all of which made the anxiety worse.

Can anyone help? Any ideas on anti ddepressants - I know about trycyclics being good for histaminey people but how about any of the anti anxiety drugs? Or bi-polar ones? I tried Seroquel and that sent me mad.

1. How was lack of diamine oxidase (DAO) determined?
    2. Which SSRIs did you try at which doses, and for how long?
    3. Do you have a diagnosis? (e.g. GAD, Panic, OCD, etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Dubio View Post
    1. How was lack of diamine oxidase (DAO) determined?
    2. Which SSRIs did you try at which doses, and for how long?
    3. Do you have a diagnosis? (e.g. GAD, Panic, OCD, etc.)
    Hello - thank you so much for a quick reply, am gnawing my nails off with nerves...

The lack of DAO was diagnosed with two different blood tests. I also have a possible mast cell disorder which fits with high histamine (not mastocytosis though).

I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression.

I have tried - Prozac (suicidal thoughts yikes), duloxetine or Cymbalta (increase in depression and made me very very tearful) and Lexapro or escitalopram which has hugely increased my anxiety. I could only tolerate low doses of each. I tried clomipramine and had angioedema. I also tried Seroquel and that made me go manic and mad as heck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lack of DAO was diagnosed with two different blood tests. I also have a possible mast cell disorder which fits with high histamine (not mastocytosis though).
    Interesting.

I have been diagnosed with OCD and depression.
    OK, good to know.

I have tried - Prozac (suicidal thoughts yikes), duloxetine or Cymbalta (increase in depression and made me very very tearful) and Lexapro or escitalopram which has hugely increased my anxiety. I could only tolerate low doses of each. I tried clomipramine and had angioedema. I also tried Seroquel and that made me go manic and mad as heck.
    Seroquel made you manic? Now that's some weird shit.

At any rate, how long did you try the SSRIs? Did you ever make it through several weeks?

For the OCD, there are a few OTC remedies with few side effects that make make a substantial improvement. First thought is to try NAC (i.e. n-acetylcysteine) at 600-1800mg/day. Some clinical trials have supported great utility in OCD, and it's nearly harmless. Second thought is inositol (you can buy it in bulk powder form, and it tastes like sugar) at 6-12g/day, dissolved in water. Other clinical trials have also shown it to have some efficacy in OCD. Both of these are likely to help control anxiety, too.

From the Rx route, the most obvious answers seems to be antihistamines. Have you ever tried OTC anithistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or loaratadine (Claritin)? If so, how did they make you feel? Without any more information, I'd be very inclined to suggest a TCA, probably amitriptyline. The side effects may be too severe, and it may be too sedating, but it's likely to attack your symptoms quite strongly and it's also a strong antihistamine. For something with a milder side effect profile, you could also look into mirtazapine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Dubio View Post
    Interesting.

OK, good to know.

Seroquel made you manic? Now that's some weird shit.

At any rate, how long did you try the SSRIs? Did you ever make it through several weeks?

For the OCD, there are a few OTC remedies with few side effects that make make a substantial improvement. First thought is to try NAC (i.e. n-acetylcysteine) at 600-1800mg/day. Some clinical trials have supported great utility in OCD, and it's nearly harmless. Second thought is inositol (you can buy it in bulk powder form, and it tastes like sugar) at 6-12g/day, dissolved in water. Other clinical trials have also shown it to have some efficacy in OCD. Both of these are likely to help control anxiety, too.

From the Rx route, the most obvious answers seems to be antihistamines. Have you ever tried OTC anithistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or loaratadine (Claritin)? If so, how did they make you feel? Without any more information, I'd be very inclined to suggest a TCA, probably amitriptyline. The side effects may be too severe, and it may be too sedating, but it's likely to attack your symptoms quite strongly and it's also a strong antihistamine. For something with a milder side effect profile, you could also look into mirtazapine.
    Yes the reaction to Seroquel was very disappointing and my doc said he'd never seen it before...

I forgot to say i already take a ton of antihistamines - ketotifen, fexofenadine as well as prednisilone. They don't actually seemt o help but maybe I would be worse without them.

I trialled the SSRIs for four weeks apiece. What was odd was my body would get used to the dose then my anxiety would rise. When I increased the dose the anxiety would settle then about five days later it would rise again - any idea what this would mean??

I really appreciate your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the reaction to Seroquel was very disappointing and my doc said he'd never seen it before...

I forgot to say i already take a ton of antihistamines - ketotifen, fexofenadine as well as prednisilone. They don't actually seemt o help but maybe I would be worse without them.

I trialled the SSRIs for four weeks apiece. What was odd was my body would get used to the dose then my anxiety would rise. When I increased the dose the anxiety would settle then about five days later it would rise again - any idea what this would mean??

I really appreciate your help.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

I wish you'd have stayed on a fix dose of an SSRI for 8 weeks. There can often be some delay in anti-anxiety effects. Still, that's a bit odd. Also interesting that antihistamines did nothing.

I'd suggest you consider trying a sedating TCA, like amitriptyline, and see what happens.

Any chance you've been checked for a pheochromocytoma?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ex Dubio. I decided to stick with escitalopram and have now been on it for six weeks. Have got my dose to 10mg but the anxiety is not abating. Should I stick with it - guess I should! I have been checked for EVERYTHING including a pheo thingybob.

I was on 40mg prednisilone a day and am now down to 7.5mg. Been there for six weeks - any residual anxiety from dose cutting there should have gone, right?

Thank you so much - you are very kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ex Dubio. I decided to stick with escitalopram and have now been on it for six weeks. Have got my dose to 10mg but the anxiety is not abating. Should I stick with it - guess I should! I have been checked for EVERYTHING including a pheo thingybob.

I was on 40mg prednisilone a day and am now down to 7.5mg. Been there for six weeks - any residual anxiety from dose cutting there should have gone, right?

Thank you so much - you are very kind.
    So prednisolone never affected anxiety at all? And nor did the SSRI? Not a lot of ideas, I confess. I do still suggest trying amitriptyline, but you'll have to stop the SSRI before giving that a try.

If the prednisolone did not affect anxiety to begin with, I doubt it's going to be affecting it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last question dubio sorry - I am also on Buspirone 20mg. The doc wants to change me off taht to Pregabalin. Do you know if either has any effect on histamine? I don't want it to increase obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last question dubio sorry - I am also on Buspirone 20mg. The doc wants to change me off taht to Pregabalin. Do you know if either has any effect on histamine? I don't want it to increase obviously.
    Probably no effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, please have a look at the work of Carl Pfeiffer (orthomolecular psychiatrist). I have copied this from another forum, but it is relevant to you I think. Possibly you could be treated effectively by supplements and nutritional therapy. Look up histadelia.

Also the Pfeiffer Treatment Center in USA

'Histadelia (Histamine High) Information -- Causes OCD/Depression Symptoms
    I am posting this information on histadelia (histamine high)
    in an effort to increase awareness of its existence. Many
    cases of OCD and depression are misdiagnosed histadelia (root
    cause).'

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much Feather - looks very intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread Information