User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know the answer to this question depends on so many things but 600 mg of Gabapentin gives me excelllllllleeeent sleep and enhances the quality of every single endeavor in my life. I have never used it too frequently and thus far utilizing it around once every 4-5 days. So far no tolerance (though used it a total of maybe 6-7 times only).



    Any idea as to how often one can use Gabapentin at this dose without having to increase the dose and/or not being able to ever get the same effect again at any dose?



    Would utilizing Pregabalin occasionally help or would the cross-tolerance be just as big an issue? Pregabalin gives an even deeper sleep by the way, but is expensive and my understanding is that tolerance can build even faster.... so I have applied it very sparingly thus far.
    A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he is not in love with her...
    Oscar Wilde

  2. #2
    Senior Member deekz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    I know the answer to this question depends on so many things but 600 mg of Gabapentin gives me excelllllllleeeent sleep and enhances the quality of every single endeavor in my life. I have never used it too frequently and thus far utilizing it around once every 4-5 days. So far no tolerance (though used it a total of maybe 6-7 times only).



    Any idea as to how often one can use Gabapentin at this dose without having to increase the dose and/or not being able to ever get the same effect again at any dose?



    Would utilizing Pregabalin occasionally help or would the cross-tolerance be just as big an issue? Pregabalin gives an even deeper sleep by the way, but is expensive and my understanding is that tolerance can build even faster.... so I have applied it very sparingly thus far.


    I alternate between 1600mg gabapentin and 150mg lyrica in 2 day intervals and have not developed a tolerance whatsoever (been doing this for 6 months. I am also taking 50mg memantine and 30mg remeron if that makes a difference, but this combo keeps me going strong on 4-6 hours of sleep per night (work schedule is hectic).

  3. #3
    Senior Member MeDieViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England, this country is shit haha
    Posts
    5,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gabepentin never seemed to cause much tolerance issues AFAIK.
    One
    Exceeding, going further, crossing boundery's, taking risks greater then most, next level.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deekz View Post
    I alternate between 1600mg gabapentin and 150mg lyrica in 2 day intervals and have not developed a tolerance whatsoever (been doing this for 6 months. I am also taking 50mg memantine and 30mg remeron if that makes a difference, but this combo keeps me going strong on 4-6 hours of sleep per night (work schedule is hectic).


    did I get this right:



    Monday GABAPENTIN

    Tuesday No meds

    Wednesday No meds

    Thursday Lyrica

    Friday No meds

    Saturday No meda

    Sunday GABAPENTIN



    and as far as 1600 mg Gabapentin. HOLY SMOOOOKES MAN!!! Did you start with this dose? I assume you did since you say you developed no tolerance whatsoever... Did you try lower doses?



    Waiting for Ex Dubio to comment.
    A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he is not in love with her...
    Oscar Wilde

  5. #5
    Senior Member KimberCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Off topic, but deeks... any side effects from 50mg memantine? I'm currently at 20mg and have wondered if higher doses would be beneficial.



    As for gabapentin/pregabalin... I build a degree of tolerance to them after a single dose. The most I could probably do is one day on followed by two days off.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimberCT View Post
    As for gabapentin/pregabalin... I build a degree of tolerance to them after a single dose. The most I could probably do is one day on followed by two days off.


    you build a tolerance after just a single dose, yet that tolerance disappears after only two off days?

    is there cross-tolerance? when you have tolerance to one, do you get less effect from the other as well?
    A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he is not in love with her...
    Oscar Wilde

  7. #7
    Senior Member kassem23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dimension Unknown
    Posts
    2,246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimberCT View Post
    Off topic, but deeks... any side effects from 50mg memantine? I'm currently at 20mg and have wondered if higher doses would be beneficial.


    Not deekz, but thought I'd share my N = 1, anyway. Never tried higher than 40 mg Memantine, but definite improvement from 20 mg Memantine after the adaptation period. Less rumination, and more energy, and possibly also some antidepressant effects (apart from the rumination part).

  8. #8
    Senior Member KimberCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    you build a tolerance after just a single dose, yet that tolerance disappears after only two off days?

    is there cross-tolerance? when you have tolerance to one, do you get less effect from the other as well?


    Yeah, as a treatment for tremor I have a pretty good measure of tolerance. I game Friday and Saturday nights and use gabapentin and pregabalin to improve my aim. Friday night there is a drastic reduction in tremor. Saturday night, not so much. Now I do propranolol one day and gabapentin the other. I've never tried alternating gabapentin on night and pregabalin the next, but I'm pretty sure cross tolerance would be there given their identical MoA.

  9. #9
    Senior Member KimberCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kassem23 View Post
    Not deekz, but thought I'd share my N = 1, anyway. Never tried higher than 40 mg Memantine, but definite improvement from 20 mg Memantine after the adaptation period. Less rumination, and more energy, and possibly also some antidepressant effects (apart from the rumination part).


    Thanks, I think I'll try going up to 30mg this week.

  10. #10
    Senior Member FunkOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manchester, CT
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimberCT View Post
    I've never tried alternating gabapentin on night and pregabalin the next, but I'm pretty sure cross tolerance would be there given their identical MoA.


    This ^, they do exactly the same thing, it would be silly to think cross-tolerance wouldn't apply.
    "Also, can I rig some sort of enema out of household items?" -Tussman

    "I don't have the stamina for a 3-some, and I am a one-pump chump" -Ubiyca

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimberCT View Post
    Yeah, as a treatment for tremor I have a pretty good measure of tolerance. I game Friday and Saturday nights and use gabapentin and pregabalin to improve my aim. Friday night there is a drastic reduction in tremor. Saturday night, not so much. Now I do propranolol one day and gabapentin the other. I've never tried alternating gabapentin on night and pregabalin the next, but I'm pretty sure cross tolerance would be there given their identical MoA.


    Excellent insight; thank you so very much...

    Is there any long-term, gradual decline in efficacy due to tolerance? IOW, you take it Friday and then again Saturday -and it has a less pronounced effect on Saturday, as you said. If you wait 6 days and take it again next Friday + Saturday, repeating this cycle for several weeks, let's say on the 10th Friday is the drug working less well than it did on the very first Friday? Or do you fully avoid long-term tolerance build up by taking some days off after every second consecutive day's use?



    How do you / others fell about the use of Gabapentin at, say, 400 mg per night on two nights a week for extended periods, as in years... Any potential issues?
    A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he is not in love with her...
    Oscar Wilde

  12. #12
    Senior Member methodice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Once a week.
    <span style="color:#FF0000">Latest tube recs</span>: <span style="color:#0000FF">TP?</span> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-i1cJh7L6I
    <span style="color:#FF0000">The last civilized bastion of truth and scientific reason declares you don't need to workout, just have good nutritional habits. The majority of us here are drug addicts and/or mentally disturbed, we also pretend to train but in reality we spend our time buzzing on adderall and masturbating to homosexual monkey porn</span>

  13. #13
    Senior Member John Barleycorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    did I get this right:

    and as far as 1600 mg Gabapentin. HOLY SMOOOOKES MAN!!! Did you start with this dose? I assume you did since you say you developed no tolerance whatsoever... Did you try lower doses?



    Waiting for Ex Dubio to comment.




    I started with 1200mg, but I tolerate downers pretty well.



    I've observed it before, but the reputation with these Ca++ channel blockers is that tolerance actually doesn't develop, whereas withdrawals are the main issue. This could have something to do with the fact that they operate on enzymatic transformations of glutamate, and are not direct GABA agonists or modulators themselves. I haven't had the nerve to put this to the test personally, however. Another general strategic approach is to alternate GABA-A, GABA-B, Z drugs, adrenergic antagonists, lithium, etc, and hope to keep dancing enough that the agitation monster can't get a fix on you.




  14. #14
    Senior Member deekz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    did I get this right:



    Monday GABAPENTIN

    Tuesday No meds

    Wednesday No meds

    Thursday Lyrica

    Friday No meds

    Saturday No meda

    Sunday GABAPENTIN



    and as far as 1600 mg Gabapentin. HOLY SMOOOOKES MAN!!! Did you start with this dose? I assume you did since you say you developed no tolerance whatsoever... Did you try lower doses?



    Waiting for Ex Dubio to comment.


    monday 1600 Gabapentin - Tuesday 150mg/lyrica - Wednesday 800 Gabapentin and so on.. I actually have to lower my dose of Gabapentin since I've noticed insane next day grogginess (tolerance is getting lower?). I feel as though the memantine is actually lowering my tolerance to both of these meds (any possible way this can be?)



    Quote Originally Posted by KimberCT View Post
    Off topic, but deeks... any side effects from 50mg memantine? I'm currently at 20mg and have wondered if higher doses would be beneficial.



    As for gabapentin/pregabalin... I build a degree of tolerance to them after a single dose. The most I could probably do is one day on followed by two days off.


    Only sides i've experienced is slight dissociation after missing a day or two. Also take it with 30mg Adderal which helps a great deal with efficacy.



    Quote Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
    This ^, they do exactly the same thing, it would be silly to think cross-tolerance wouldn't apply.


    I understand where your coming from, but if this was the case i'd be up to +600 lyrica a day (given its reputation for rapid tolerance.) I can not go above 150 or else i would feel really disoriented and dissociated the next day.

  15. #15
    Senior Member djremix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Middle East
    Posts
    2,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    with preg i find 150mg an hour before sleep provide a good amount of restfull sleep especially if the day was filled with anything that needs winding down from including a grueling day at the gym



    300 to 450 spread a few hour before sleep is where its at though. once you get the drunk and disoriented movement patterns you know its all good now



    so for tolerance, 150mg/night is probably doable but not every single day in a row

    the higher dosage should be kept and used for the utmost necessity because a few days of massive tolerance ensues for the following few days
    Currently remixing this old body!

  16. #16
    Senior Member MeDieViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England, this country is shit haha
    Posts
    5,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How often can I use GABAPENTIN without building tolerance

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
    This ^, they do exactly the same thing, it would be silly to think cross-tolerance wouldn't apply.
    Sometimes its suprising what things should be cross tolerant but actually arent, can be explained by differend downstream effects in some cases, wheter that apply's to those 2 brothers?
    The pharmacokinetic interactions of pregabalin and gabapentin were investigated following concomitant single-dose administrations of 100mg pregabalin with 300mg gabapentin and multiple-dose administration of 200mg pregabalin every 8 hours and 400mg gabapentin every 8 hours. Gabapentin pharmacokinetics following single- and multiple-dose administration were unaltered by pregabalin coadministration. The extent of pregabalin absorption was unaffected by gabapentin coadministration, although there was a small reduction in rate of absorption
    We know that pregabalin doesnt alter the pharmacokinetics of gabapentin.
    One
    Exceeding, going further, crossing boundery's, taking risks greater then most, next level.

  17. #17
    Senior Member MeDieViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England, this country is shit haha
    Posts
    5,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How often can I use GABAPENTIN without building tolerance

    In my experience, i never got tolerant to the psychedelic effects of gabapentin, and those were a bit too significant, its like your in a constant mild psychosis or something, it did the same time to my girlfriend, had all the same effects of gabapentin i had, weird stuff, she had taken a stimulant that day tough.

    I did seem to get tolerant to the anxiolytic effects, it wasnt anxiolytic on its own but it took care of the anxiety amp was causing.
    One
    Exceeding, going further, crossing boundery's, taking risks greater then most, next level.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i take neurontin for diabetic neuropathy. 300mg 3x day. i gained a tolerance relatively quickly because i take it all the time. sounds like what your doing is fine. in my experience with meds of all kinds tolerance only happens if u dont give yourself a break. therein lies the difficulty with chronic med use for just about anything. i also take opiates for chronic back and neck pain(yes folks i am a whirlwind of chronic problems. for anyone else in this situation, what i have to do is go through a lapse in the routine or break if u will. what this does ofc is cause like a 2-3 day of going through serious pain and mild withdrawals so that the meds work again. otherwise i just keep going in an upward spiral of increased dosages. that ofc is followed usually by a spiral in another direction if u catch my meaning. not worth it ever...for anything...i know. when dealing with miracal medications u have to find your inner strengths to master and control them, or they will control you. god bless and stuff. <3

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeDieViL View Post
    Sometimes its suprising what things should be cross tolerant but actually arent, can be explained by differend downstream effects in some cases, wheter that apply's to those 2 brothers?

    We know that pregabalin doesnt alter the pharmacokinetics of gabapentin.
    But that just means the concentration over time of one is not affected by the other. It does not address the question of cross-tolerance.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    i also take opiates for chronic back and neck pain(yes folks i am a whirlwind of chronic problems. for anyone else in this situation, what i have to do is go through a lapse in the routine or break if u will. what this does ofc is cause like a 2-3 day of going through serious pain and mild withdrawals so that the meds work again. otherwise i just keep going in an upward spiral of increased dosages. that ofc is followed usually by a spiral in another direction if u catch my meaning. not worth it ever...for anything...
    There are some things you can do to reduce development of tolerance to opioids. For example, there is some research icating that nano- (or maybe pico-, don't remember in this moment) doses of naltrexone taken with an opioid can reduce or prevent tolerance. Small doses of dextromethorphan apparently will also reduce tolerance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gabapentin?
    By gotDOMS in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
  2. Gabapentin
    By Par Deus in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
  3. gabapentin
    By muidumees in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM
  4. GABAPENTIN
    By safelife in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 12th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •