User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hike a lot. I always thought I was immune to poison oak, but the last week proved otherwise. We've had major flooding and all our trails are gone, so any hiking I do is in washed out river beds and brush. Turns out a lot of the brush is also poison oak, stripped of its leaves, and impossible to see. To add insult to injury, I went out again yesterday in shorts and Vibrams for 5 hours, so I'm fairly sure I got more. I am an idiot.

I'm considering running some Prednisone, but I'm hesitant to use it. My Dad will prescribe it, but he also tends to give me whatever I want. I'll admit ignorance to the pros and cons here, so I was hoping for some advice.
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's usually what they Rx for poison oak infections. A quick countdown (1-2 weeks) is what I went through last time I had poison oak.

Why not just ask your dad to Rx whatever he normally would for the condition, instead of self-treating it by asking him for Pred?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Dad hates prescribing anything for anything. I didn't even know cough syrup or nasal decongestants worked until I was in my 20's. Sufficed to say, I don't really trust him. Man, that sounds bad. I guess I'll just tough it out, the hairdryer feels like sex.
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topical cortisteroids are the normal first step and orals only Rx'd for more systemic cases.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I react pretty severely to Poison Oak and topical Hydrocortisone works well to relieve the itching and blistering. It's cheap and relatively side effect free so it can't hurt to slather it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so I actually talked to my Dad about it today. I get in the habit of only texting my pharmaceutical requests to him, and neglect to pick up the phone. He definitely yelled at me for reading on the internet, and told me to pick up the meds.

I'll post some pics later, but it's pretty bad. My ankle is enormous from all the fluid draining into it, and the inflammation is pretty gross too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing. My wife is deathly allergic to poison ivy/oak and has been on oral prednisone twice for it which she hated. Since then I've found two TCM patent formulas that work really well in resolving the reaction quickly. Special Rubelex Formula and Tri Snake Pills are both effective, the latter probably somewhat more than the former.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Thread Information