User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Azx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've had dangerously low body fat my whole life (less than 3%), as well as depression. I'm hoping there might be a relation since my depression has been unable to improve with either traditional meds or therapy. What do you guys think about such a connection? I force myself to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight, when I was on mirtazapine I could eat more but I stopped it because of other bad side effects. Also would it really hurt to try a weight gainer shake? Are there any ones you would recommend? I struggle just eating enough to maintain my weight, not to mention I have expensive tastes in dining. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azx View Post
    I've had dangerously low body fat my whole life (less than 3%), as well as depression. I'm hoping there might be a relation since my depression has been unable to improve with either traditional meds or therapy. What do you guys think about such a connection? I force myself to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight, when I was on mirtazapine I could eat more but I stopped it because of other bad side effects. Also would it really hurt to try a weight gainer shake? Are there any ones you would recommend? I struggle just eating enough to maintain my weight, not to mention I have expensive tastes in dining. Thanks.
    I think there is a connection between the depression and low body fat. Unfortunately, my belief is based on circumstantial evidence (e.g., lowered dopamine production and testosterone), and I cannot prove it per se.



    Yeah, I'd try weight gainers, as well as eating other types of calorie-dense foods (e.g., junk food, fast food, etc.). Certainly, there are downsides (physically looking not as good), but I'd say your sanity important enough to warrant experimenting with increased body fat percentage.
    No one

  3. #3
    Senior Member Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Times Beach, MO
    Posts
    18,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Consuming calories in liquid form is a good way to sneak them under the appetite radar and is one of the reasons Americans are so fat.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...





  4. #4
    Member essential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to have seriously low bodyfat and was anxious and depressed all the time my sanity returned when I added lots of fat to my diet like fish oil and olive oil.







    Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've always been skinny but since I'm on prednisolone for my scleroderma I'm ganning weight in upper body. And I'm happy about that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member KennyBeats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apolo Ohno claims to have 2.8% bodyfat, I was under the impression that realistically when bodybuilders are at their most shredded contest % they were around 4-5%.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As others have said....



    Try liquid calories



    Oils/fats....nuttbutters have protein too.



    Also there are some supplements designed to make you more hungry, you could give them a whirl.



    Weights and cardio always make me hungry too.....if you arent active adding some light activity might help inspire hunger but not make you burn too many calories.
    "I'm not a big fan of evolutionary limitations, and you aren't either, or you wouldn't be pinning supraphysiological amounts of testosterone all the time."-FunkOdyssey



    "Die hard. Die young. Dianabol."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Azx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to look into all the suggestions. I'm still a little confused, since there are people that strive for low body fat % and don't seem to have this problem. I'm not trying to do any viral marketing here, but I first read about this on Martin Berkhan's blog: http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/int...point-and.html where he defends having 6% bf.



    In any case, I'd imagine it would at least help with self-esteem.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lucky.pierre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I was trying to gain weight, would light cardio (i.e. walking 30-45 minutes) 4-5 times a week ruin my efforts?
    I came, I saw, I hung around and asked a bunch of questions.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Azx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky.pierre View Post
    If I was trying to gain weight, would light cardio (i.e. walking 30-45 minutes) 4-5 times a week ruin my efforts?


    I might not be the best example, but no it really shouldn't affect you that much. My exercise routine basically consists of weightlifting 3x a week when I'm not in too much pain and walking everyday for 20 mins. Regardless of whether or not I walked my weight gain was the same, it was mostly due to an eating disorder, depression, and lack of money that impeded the progress I made last year. I went one week without bulking and lost 15 pounds, at which point I gave up trying to gain weight and lost another 10.

  11. #11
    Senior Member lucky.pierre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azx View Post
    I might not be the best example, but no it really shouldn't affect you that much. My exercise routine basically consists of weightlifting 3x a week when I'm not in too much pain and walking everyday for 20 mins. Regardless of whether or not I walked my weight gain was the same, it was mostly due to an eating disorder, depression, and lack of money that impeded the progress I made last year. I went one week without bulking and lost 15 pounds, at which point I gave up trying to gain weight and lost another 10.


    Cool, thanks. I'm about 5-10kg underweight according to my doctor, though like you am restricted from working out due to personal circumstances (depression, fatigue, lack of finances). I try to walk and stretch regularly due to some muscoskeletal pain. My diet also complicates things (gluten and dairy intolerant), which means I can't really bulk up on carbs, unless I eat a lot of brown rice I suppose, though I'm really not a fan of it I might look into the bulking drinks people are suggesting here though.
    I came, I saw, I hung around and asked a bunch of questions.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Azx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky.pierre View Post
    Cool, thanks. I'm about 5-10kg underweight according to my doctor, though like you am restricted from working out due to personal circumstances (depression, fatigue, lack of finances). I try to walk and stretch regularly due to some muscoskeletal pain. My diet also complicates things (gluten and dairy intolerant), which means I can't really bulk up on carbs, unless I eat a lot of brown rice I suppose, though I'm really not a fan of it I might look into the bulking drinks people are suggesting here though.


    Interesting, sounds like we have a lot of the same problems. I think stuff like potatoes, peanut butter, white rice, eggs, and oats would be good (though I'm not entirely sure about being gluten-free). Benson recommended this cookbook in another thread http://www.amazon.com/Grain-free-Gou...0363400&sr=1-1.



    I just bought a bulking shake (Myofusion Real Mass) although I'm not sure if they fit your dietary restrictions, I guess it depends on the severity. If you can tolerate regular whey protein I'd assume you'd be alright unless you have any additional allergies but maybe someone else knows for sure.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Adverse effects to Accutane
    By Reddisert in forum Advanced Hypothesis, Theory & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
  2. NAC--possible adverse effects? (pulm htn)
    By ScottL in forum Supplements 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
  3. Effects of Soy, Phytoestrogens, etc. on Body Fat
    By popopanther in forum Bulking/Gaining Weight
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM
  4. Any adverse effects - inhibition of LDL oxidation
    By Josh in forum Supplements 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
  5. adverse irreversable effects
    By combustion in forum Neuroscience/Nootropics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •