User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure this has been discussed here before. I was thinking pycnogenol may be an alternative to arginine for enhancing workouts and muscle growth as a result of it's ability to increase acetylcholine through nitric oxide stimulation.

Abstract

Pycnogenol, an extract of bark from the French maritime pine, Pinus pinaster Ait., consists of a concentrate of water-soluble polyphenols. Pycnogenol contains the bioflavonoids catechin and taxifolin as well as phenolcarbonic acids. Antioxidants, such as bioflavonoids, enhance endothelial nitric oxide (NO) synthase expression and subsequent NO release from endothelial cells. The purpose of this study was to determine Pycnogenol's effects on endothelium-dependent vasodilation in humans. This was a double-blind, randomized, placebo and active drug study. We evaluated forearm blood flow (FBF) responses to acetylcholine (ACh), an endothelium-dependent vasodilator, and to sodium nitroprusside (SNP), an endothelium-independent vasodilator, in healthy young men before and after 2 weeks of daily oral administration of Pycnogenol (180 mg/day) (n=8) or placebo (n=8). FBF was measured by using strain-gauge plethysmography. Neither the placebo nor Pycnogenol altered forearm or systemic hemodynamics. Pycnogenol, but not placebo, augmented FBF response to ACh, from 13.1 +/- 7.0 to 18.5 +/- 4.0 mL/min per 100 mL tissue (p<0.05). SNP-stimulated vasodilation was similar before and after 2 weeks of treatment in the control and Pycnogenol groups. The administration of N(G)-monomethyl-L-arginine, an NO synthase inhibitor, completely abolished Pycnogenol-induced augmentation of the FBF response to ACh. These findings suggest that Pycnogenol augments endothelium-dependent vasodilation by increasing in NO production. Pycnogenol would be useful for treating various diseases whose pathogeneses involve endothelial dysfunction.

PMID: 18037769 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I just started taking 120 mg two times a day. I'm also hoping pycnogenol will help with joint discomfort and inflammation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pycogenol costs a FORTUNE. I called the supplier up as a potential vendor months ago - something like $1,500-$2,000/kilo. It doesn't cost that much to manufacture.

It's too cost prohibitive for it to be very popular in sports nutrition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greg-W @ Aug 10 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Pycogenol costs a FORTUNE. I called the supplier up as a potential vendor months ago - something like $1,500-$2,000/kilo. It doesn't cost that much to manufacture.

It's too cost prohibitive for it to be very popular in sports nutrition.</div>

Yep, good point. I guess it wouldn't have enough of an impact to justify spending the money. I've been getting mine in bulk at the Vitamin Shoppe for a pretty decent price. I usually wait till their buy one get on half price month and I'll buy 2 300 30 mg capsule bottles. This lasts a fairly long time even if I take 3 or 4 five days a week.

I believe Grape Seed Extract may do just about everything pycnogenol does and it's much cheaper. There has been some discussion of this here on M and M recently.

Thread Information