User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, the root of my pain turned out to be my SI joint...once the inflammation and related pain (sciatica) from the inflammation went away, and talking to a Chiro about what I feel, its clear as day what happened to me was a shifted / displaced / something....SI Joint.

Now that I can think clearly on it, I even remember hearing and feeling a massive 'shift' in my upper butt area about a month ago...then I think it was just a ticking time bomb until it went off a couple weeks after that.

All indications are that it has found its proper place again, but there is still residual pain that I assume is related to the fact that many muscles and ligaments spent 2-3 weeks being stretched out...my left hamstring is darn near pulled (but 100% sure its not sciatica).

Any idea on how long this joint takes to heal once its reset?
    Should I use ibuprofen around the clock / only for pain (im thinking around the clock for a week or two)?
    I've got a nice list of stretches to do, and wearing my weight belt low around my hips, pulled tight, is a relief (which makes it obvious its SI related).

Assuming the pain does stop (and I think it will, I just feel like Im healing about 10 pulled muscles / tendons at once), Im guessing proper hip / glute / lower back work will really aid in long term health?

Also, what do we think about inversion for SI Joints...I purchased an inversion table to help with disc compression, but this is a new wrinkle...
    I don't wanna be an angel...I want to be God.

<span style="color:#FF0000">"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlen</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skigazzi @ Dec 21 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Assuming the pain does stop (and I think it will, I just feel like Im healing about 10 pulled muscles / tendons at once), Im guessing proper hip / glute / lower back work will really aid in long term health?</div>

Squat deep...deep...like ATG...
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does one dislocate the SI joint? It hardly moves anyways, right?

What do you do for a living?

Do you practice yoga or pilates?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eclypz @ Dec 21 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>how does one dislocate the SI joint? It hardly moves anyways, right?

What do you do for a living?

Do you practice yoga or pilates?</div>

Well, it more 'displaces' / 'slips' than full on dislocation...I imagine a full dislocation would be horrific.

I sit on my ass for a living and usually with horrendous posture habits, like leaning back, sliding down in my chair, wrapping my feat under the wheels on the chair etc... (muscle imbalances galore I imagine contributing). I have to be smarter here for sure.

I found a few yoga poses that help..as well as stretches. Its improving, but still less than acceptable, but I don't 'DO' yoga, yet. Im headed back to the chiro tomorrow night. Also, getting my legs measured, as this could cause some shifting.

And Benson...there is a lesson in there [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ninja.gif[/img]

<span style="color:#FF0000">"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlen</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had similar issues on and off and I can tell you unless you consistently do the stretches your going to inevitably aggravate it. Having said that when I do aggravate it I tend to experience tightness/pain for about 2-4 weeks.

I got some good advice in this thread a while back if you have not seen it...

http://www.leanbulk.com/forum/ask-dr-house...flammation.html

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's called "subluxation", not displacement, but you have the general idea. Injuries to the hip girdle/SI/Lumbar back take weeks if not MONTHS to heal. Once healed, these injuries generally become "weak links" that flare up acutely after time.

Did you get an X-ray of the lumbar spine? I wouldn't be surprised if there is inflammation or injury to a disk-especially because you had/have sciatica. Sciatica nearly always accompanies disk injuries.

My injuries to L2/3/4/5/S1/S2 had me laid up and barely able to move for the first 2 weeks. Unable to sleep in my own bed for at least a month. Unable to go to the gym for at least 2 months.

Take my advice:

Ice
    Rest
    Take Valium, Motrin and T3 as often as indicated
    Get frequent chirporactic care (I saw my mom at least 3xweek for the duration of my injury, and probably 7xweek when I first injured myself.

Good luck dude. Lower back injuries SUCK. The good news is that after a year in the gym, heavy squats, deadlifts, and other posterior chain work, my back is feeling great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GaWd @ Dec 21 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Did you get an X-ray of the lumbar spine?</div>

I did, and they said it looked normal, but I think they might have been a little bit too high in the back...my intial pain was probably radiating somewhere the injury wasn't.

Im slowly feeling better, this goes back to last week of November, and I keep telling my workout partner "Next week I'll be back", thats 5 weeks ago...the joint is now 'moving' again, its cracking / popping a little for me, and each one is a relief...my advil intake is down to 400mg in the morning and 200 at night, from 400 4X a day, so I think things are coming back together for me.

Been doing tons of stretches / hip work and feel like its strong...I'll let yous know what the chiro says / does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not long.

If you read the first 20 thread titles here in general chat you can see that this is the greatest forum on the interwebs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke my 'chiropractic cherry' last night. Was definitely my SI Joint...he popped both of them, and worked up my back...then some electrode/ice treatment (which was glorious).

I feel great today...will go back in a few days to make sure its all still where it needs to be...and then probably now and then until I die.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has its detractors, but Chiropractic absolutely has its place for general wellness and musculo-skeletal injuries for athletes.

Hopefully this speeds along your recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest lesson I ever had to learn:

My back problems were a result of longstanding postural deviations that could only be managed through exercise (stretching and strengthening). In other words I really didn't have a spinal problem, I had a muscle problem and the spine was just letting me know that. My back actually looked fantastic after a couple sets of xrays, so much so the doc didn't even want to pursue mri's.

But my hip flexors were perma-tight, my glutes were severely imbalanced and my legs had length discrepancy, which is actually working itself out now that I religiously engage in yoga and pilates and stretches.

I mean seriously, if everyone stretched as much as they lifted, even that would make a profound difference.

If you sit at a desk all day you need to do as much as possible to undo the effects of that posture.

Yoga is amazing. If I could call it "Crush It" and give all the moves awesome masculine names so that men would finally get over the stigma and start doing it we'd have a hell of a lot of healthier males, I'm 133440556% convinced.

Pilates is also an amazing methodology.

Also for back pain look up Feldenkrais Method and Somatics. Do just fifteen minutes a day and thank me in a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eclypz @ Dec 26 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Biggest lesson I ever had to learn:

My back problems were a result of longstanding postural deviations that could only be managed through exercise (stretching and strengthening). In other words I really didn't have a spinal problem, I had a muscle problem and the spine was just letting me know that. My back actually looked fantastic after a couple sets of xrays, so much so the doc didn't even want to pursue mri's.

But my hip flexors were perma-tight, my glutes were severely imbalanced and my legs had length discrepancy, which is actually working itself out now that I religiously engage in yoga and pilates and stretches.

I mean seriously, if everyone stretched as much as they lifted, even that would make a profound difference.

If you sit at a desk all day you need to do as much as possible to undo the effects of that posture.

Yoga is amazing. If I could call it "Crush It" and give all the moves awesome masculine names so that men would finally get over the stigma and start doing it we'd have a hell of a lot of healthier males, I'm 133440556% convinced.

Also for back pain look up Feldenkrais Method and Somatics. Do just fifteen minutes a day and thank me in a year.</div>

I'm scared to death of pilates.. Care to elaborate on it versus yoga? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think anyone looking at a thread about back problems needs to be thinking about yoga.

I've always heard pilates is hell and I've imagined it as something similar to a 24 Hour Fitness Yoga class where everything is based off of warriors pose? I prefer deep stretching Hatha Yoga personally. It's slow and deeeep on the stretching, not so much on the 'how long can you hold a chair pose without crying.'
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eclypz @ Dec 26 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Biggest lesson I ever had to learn:

Also for back pain look up Feldenkrais Method and Somatics. Do just fifteen minutes a day and thank me in a year.</div>
    E, do you have any recs for a good yoga video to pick up, or could I just look up some youtube stuff and be just as well off?

My gym is my basement and I'd rather not pay for classes if I can get the benefits from doing it at home.

Also, is it better to do it in the evening since you are more flexible then, or does it not matter?

I've been doing a lot of "yoga-type stuff" as of late but nothing structured, and I'm sure I would be much better off doing a true structured routine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, after a handful of adjustments, electro-ice pack whatever its called on it...Im calling my SI Joint fixed, but my left hamstring maintains its unwillingness to stretch out...today I was at the chiro and he just said to hell with it and basically did sports therapy instead and applied heat / electro-whatever to my hamstring and then used a machine to 'roll' my hamstrings...

Feels a little better, unfortunately I have to sit at a desk the rest of the day...definitely am going to gym tonight for the first time since right before thanksgiving, hip flexors / stationary bike and some light lifting all this week...a couple more treatments on the hammy...I think I'll be fine now.

I assume I'll get a monthly adjustment at the chiro going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright...its not a tight hamstring, its some residual sciatic pain unfortunately. I've stretched so much that Im actually darn near flexible, but some pain lingers, though its improving...BUT..here's the question:

Today I happend to look at the bottom of my shoes (low cut casual 'boot' type shoe), and the left shoe's mid sole is worn way more than the right, some more wear on the rear too, but not so much.

I cannot find anything online about what this indicates, but I suspect its leg length..and possibly the more worn shoe is my long leg (though I suspected the opposite until I noticed this). Also, the worn shoe side is the side I have the lingering SI joint pain and sciatic issue...that must be my long leg, right?

The wear difference is significant, must be a few mm's in spots...any interpretations on this wear pattern?
    (Im going to see if my chiro can measure my legs next time Im there)

Edit - It just hit me, that when I am on my inversion table that I have to kinda 'lean' to get my left lower back to decompress...probably cause my right leg is shorter and taking the brunt of the weight...sometimes its so obvious you miss it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ski any updates on this? I had a slight flare up again recently.

Thread Information