User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the past two years My cold sores have become increasingly frequent. I am getting one about every two weeks now and its killing me.

I am able to keep them small and usually keep them from actually blistering and erupting(gross, I know) with hydro cortisone cream 1% and phenylated camphor.

I just cant understand the constant outbreaks. My diet is good , I avoid foods high in arginine like eggs(instant breakout for me). I also supplement with L-lysine specifically for this. Not only that but I use Blistex on my lips and surrounding area every day to block the sun. Its so bad that I avoid direct sun light all together. this has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I believe it may be a in ability to absorb some type of nutrient that is crucial to building an immunity against this virus, maybe iron. I know one side of my family is specifically susceptible to this virus, so maybe genetic inclination to a deficiency in some type of vitamin or nutrient?

I am going to up my zinc intake, but I don't know what else to do.......

Also , could these be hormonally induced outbreaks.....

??????????????????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you watch tv? Valtrex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that I can get a script for it before I leave. But yes , I would love to take valtrex regularly. Although , I have gotten some before as samples, I did get a small outbreak while using it once. I wasn't using it regularly though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you under more stress lately? immunosuppression me thinks may be the culprit, so addressing stress (supps, meditation) and boosting immune function with a slew of anti-virals (garlic, pau d'arco, oregano oil etc) would be a good strategy.
    Resident Witchdoctor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much lysine are you using? Treatment of active virus usually requires 1.5-2g/day to be effective. There is also an OTC topical product called Abreva that has some decent clinical support behind it.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I am going to start eating garlic cloves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the Valtrex.

Slightly cheaper is Famvir, but get 500 mg 3x per day, not the wimpy 125mg 2x per day that is usually prescribed. This (and probably Valtrex, don't know) also protects against cytomegalovirus which is particularly nasty in other ways.

The advantage of Famvir is that you can take one cheaper pill when you think you might be getting an outbreak. Being cheaper, you are more likely to take it early -- before you're absolutely sure that it's a cold sore. Early treatment is much more effective than treatment delayed by a day or two. Let's call it early speculative prophylaxis.

Eviidence also suggests that each time you use these antivirals the virus goes into a dormant stage for longer periods of time.

Also agree with Abreva. The combination of topical Abreva and Valtrex/Famvir pills is additive or even synergistic in repressing symptoms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanction' post='486212' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:39 AM
    The advantage of Famvir is that you can take one cheaper pill when you think you might be getting an outbreak. Being cheaper, you are more likely to take it early -- before you're absolutely sure that it's a cold sore. Early treatment is much more effective than treatment delayed by a day or two. Let's call it early speculative prophylaxis.

I've been thinking about this lately. Pretty much ever since finding out that HSV1 and 2 aren't specific to mouth and genitals, respectively. Using a condom is common sense, but who seriously wears a condom to get a blow job, or uses a dental dam to go down on a chick? If these antivirals have a low enough side-effect profile, then it seems like they might make decent prophylactics in between relationships. Does anything know any more about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it would be best to just take the anti-viral in a continuous manner. Like every week, then increase the dosage when you are getting signs of pro-drome or in cases where you know all the environmental factors are there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mega vitamin C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deandestructo' post='486297' date='Jun 19 2008, 01:35 PM
    I think that it would be best to just take the anti-viral in a continuous manner. Like every week, then increase the dosage when you are getting signs of pro-drome or in cases where you know all the environmental factors are there.

I'm talking about for a person who doesn't have HSV1/2 and is concerned about coming into contact with people who have it. Supposedly, something like 1 in 3 sexually-active people my age has some variant of the virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 8' post='486342' date='Jun 19 2008, 04:03 PM
    I'm talking about for a person who doesn't have HSV1/2 and is concerned about coming into contact with people who have it. Supposedly, something like 1 in 3 sexually-active people my age has some variant of the virus.
    This is a very interesting topic. I've used antivirals pre-post contact (with nice girls, educated, slightly drunk, no apparent symptoms but we know that is meaningless) with the hope that it would prevent HSV1/2 from taking root and starting an infection. I have absolutely no data to suggest Famvir/Valtrex works this way. Yet Another Pubmed Search is required...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanction' post='486353' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:00 PM
    This is a very interesting topic. I've used antivirals pre-post contact (with nice girls, educated, slightly drunk, no apparent symptoms but we know that is meaningless) with the hope that it would prevent HSV1/2 from taking root and starting an infection. I have absolutely no data to suggest Famvir/Valtrex works this way. Yet Another Pubmed Search is required...

It hasn't been studied for that, as far as I know, and I can't seem to get a doctor to give me a straight answer on the subject. From what I understand, valtrex's method of action is to actively attack live virus; it neither blocks nor penetrates nerve ganglia, which is why it can control but not cure. So my guess is that its efficacy in such an application would be entirely dependent upon the degree of exposure. Stronger antivirals that do block absorption of viral material into the nerve have been used since the 80s as post-exposure prophylactics for people exposed to HIV, but they're expensive as fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand your burning problem here.

I am also sadly, a sufferer of frequent cold sores.

I have followed various suggestions and advice and even took Lysine orally for 1 year.
    It did nothing for me. I still had the same frequency of cold sores.

I purchased [some spam] out of desperation and I was pleasantly surprised to find they actually do work.
    They definitely speed the healing process and if you do manage to use it at a very early stage, it can stop the sore dead in it's tracks.

I am considering harassing my GP this coming week as I am so fed up and depressed with having cold sores for so many years. It's relentless. I always have cold (common cold) symptoms, mostly in the background, but I am sure there is a link.

I seem to have an ever revolving cycle where the cold in the background will worsen slightly, affecting my hearing then the cold sores will pop up. They make my nose numb. I sometimes get sores inside my nostrils and the sides of my neck / face / ear area will be slightly painful. The numbness is now beginning to get closer to my eyes and I am concerned about that.

The sores are in the usual place. On the lips or very close to them.

This really blights my life as my job involves a lot of face to face communication. May be we should try harmless natural cold sore remedies that can help us reach the root cause of our constant cold sore outbreaks.

I am planning to try some effective natural cold sore treatments to see the effects in coming days. Try the following resource for best cold sore remedies: spamtreatscoldsores.com
    Last edited by FunkOdyssey; September 2nd, 2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ bot.

I would also like to know if antivirals can help prevent someone who has never had HSV-1 from contracting it from someone who does. I would die if I had a cold sore. There is also a link between HSV-1 and alzheimers in certain people.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey
    "OH GOD THE SSRI POISON IS COURSING THROUGH MY VEINS, I WILL MULTIPLY THE HALF-LIFE BY MY COREYOSITY AND CALCULATE MY SURVIVAL CHANCES!" -aeropsia on escitalopram

Thread Information