User Tag List

Thread: Picamilon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically my question is does it work well (as far as focus/mood enhancement), and will it negatively effect my blood pressure like PEA or some other supps? Also, whats the best/cheapest place to go to get it? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='447177' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:00 PM
    Basically my question is does it work well (as far as focus/mood enhancement), and will it negatively effect my blood pressure like PEA or some other supps? Also, whats the best/cheapest place to go to get it? Thanks in advance.

We don't know much about Picamilon because it hasn't been well researched, and currently there are no full text studies available as all of the research was conducted decades ago in the former USSR and Soviet states (currently, 34 abstracts are listed on pubmed translated from Russian).

My advice is: don't bother with it, as it's relatively expensive and undocumented. Marketers will try to convince you otherwise, but the data just isn't there to indicate use for treating any condition or for enhancing already present abilities.

If I may ask, why are you interested in Picamilon, and what are you trying to achieve through supplementation?
    "When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='447177' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:00 PM

Picamilon works very well (approved as a drug decades ago and still in common use) for focus and antistress and does not raise blood pressure. If anything you may see a slight drop.

I currently produce the best priced product.

Here's a few recent logs:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...light=picamilon

As of now, here are my initial impressions after 5 days use of Picamilon:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt much LESS stressed out during this entire week!

I have been falling asleep easier because I feel more relaxed when I lay down.

Recurring dreams about a girl I used to like (Not a bad thing though)

I have tons of Focus and Drive in the gym...its awesome!

My studying and reading seem to fly by and I just get things done!

Overall so far I would say this product has made several noticeable changes for my state of mind and rest.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...light=picamilon

Dosed Picamilon @ anywhere from 250-400mg daily for mental focus and it definitely worked, specially on stressful days. Started a new job, fights with the girlfriend, stress because im about to buy a new truck, and everyday problems...didn't matter what problems i had i always seemed to stay level headed and alert. as soon as a problem would occur, my brain was off racing to figure out how to fix it. really enjoyed that aspect and makes life that much better.

after taking this product i'll def. buy another bottle but i recommend keeping it stored in your medicine cabinet. i recommend using this during a stressful week of test/exams/work/studying etc and not everyday. def. something worth trying at least once and when its crunch time, you'll be happy you kept this one in your closet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For more info.

How And Why Picamilon Works

Studies from Russia demonstrate that Picamilon improves nervous control, recovery time after work, blood pressure and memory. The drug even shows benefits in treating brain trauma.

By R. P. Kruglikova

Drugs that normalize the gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) system consist mainly of substances that activate GABA receptors, inhibit GABA utilization or increase the permeability of the blood-brain barrier to GABA. One way of creating preparations of this kind is to use substances that are carriers of the GABA molecule, including vitamins or their derivatives and, in particular, nicotinic acid (niacin).

Niacin has been chosen as the carrier because of its valuable pharmacological properties, its low toxicity, and its high biological availability. It has therefore been suggested that a combination of niacin and GABA in the same molecule would increase the potency of each component.

Picamilon (nicotinyl-y-aminobutyric acid) was first synthesized at the All-Union Vitamin Research Institute in 1970. It is a white crystalline powder that is odorless, highly hygroscopic (takes up moisture readily), and readily soluble in water.

In studies in animals Picamilon has been shown to have positive action on the cerebral circulation, and also exhibits the properties of a tranquilizer with a stimulating component.

Unlike tranquilizer drugs, Picamilon does not induce muscle relaxation, drowsiness or lethargy.

The action of the compound on cerebral circulation and on neural regulation was studied in anesthetized cats; conscious, unrestrained cats; and on unanesthetized rabbits. Picamilon stimulated cerebral circulation and lowered vascular tone in both arterial systems of the brain. The increase in the blood supply to the brain in conscious animals took place to a more marked degree than in cats under general anesthesia. The drug also lowered blood pressure. It must be emphasized that these effects manifested themselves after both intravenous and oral administration of the compound. In all the animals, Picamilon increased blood flow.

In the strength and duration of its cerebrovascular effect, Picamilon is much superior both to GABA and to niacin. Under the same experimental conditions, GABA in a dose of 10 mg/kg (intravenously) caused no change in cerebral blood flow, and only when given in a dose of 300 mg/kg did it increase blood flow, with the effect lasting three to five minutes. Niacin in large doses (50 to 100 mg/kg) increased cerebral blood flow by 5 to 10 percent.

Brain Blood Flow

In its effect on cerebral circulation, Picamilon was shown to be more effective than papaverine, nialamide, complamin (xantinol nicotinate), and dihydroergotoxin (redergin).

An essential role in the mechanism of action of Picamilon is its effect on nervous control of the cerebral circulation. It weakens changes in cerebral blood flow during the vasomotor reflex, considerably inhibits constrictor responses of vessels in the carotid and vertebrobasilar basins due to stimulation of afferent fibers of somatic nerves, and causes gradually developing inhibition of tonic and reflex activity in sympathetic nerves.

Neuropharmacological screening tests on Picamilon have demonstrated its tranquilizing properties in small doses. For instance, at a dose of l mg/kg, Picamilon prevents the negative consequences of emotional stress (in cats it normalizes the orienting reaction when disturbed by the response to rage and fear). Like diazepam, it has an inhibitory effect on motivated aggression, associated with fighting for territory in rats.

Investigation of Picamilon's effect on the threshold of "self-stimulation" showed that in higher doses (80 and 160 mg/kg), in contrast with small doses which have a tranquilizing effect, Picamilon lowered the "self-stimulation" threshold (like amphetamine), but at the same time reduced the number of self-stimulation. The stimulating action of the drug also has been shown in general anesthesia. For instance, at a dose of 100 mg/kg, Picamilon reduced by 1.7 times the duration of the sedative effect of hexobarbital sodium and reduced by half the duration of thiopental anesthesia.

Unlike tranquilizer drugs (chlorodiazepoxide, diazepam, relanium, phenazepam), Picamilon does not induce muscle relaxation, drowsiness or lethargy. Clinicians have stated that the drug closely resembles cavinton (the ethyl ester of apovincamic acid), but comparison of the properties of the two compounds showed that Picamilon is superior.

After the administration of Picamilon at a dose of 5 mg/kg, defense-conditioned reflexes (jumping onto a rod) were restored after their disappearance due to fatigue (by 130 percent, compared with 12 percent in the control). Given to rats at a dose of 50 mg/kg it restored physical working capacity during a rest period of one hour by 76 percent, compared with 38 percent in the controls.

In a model of shock-induced amnesia of the conditioned passive avoidance reaction, like other GABA-ergic drugs (sodium hydroxy butyrate, fenibut, pantogam), Picamilon exhibited anti-amnesiac properties. In hypoxic states, the compound was found to have antihypoxic activity. The presence of anti-amnesiac and antihypoxic properties in the spectrum of action of Picamilon places it in the group of nootropic agents.

There is evidence that activation of the GABA-ergic system in various kinds of stress can prevent damage to the body when exposed to various stimuli. In confirmation of this hypothesis, scientists who studied the effect of GABA derivatives on the development of toxic (nicotinic) cerebral edema (fluid on the brain), showed that Picamilon in a dose of 500 mg/kg, injected 30 minutes before nicotine (40 mcg/kg), prevented the development of edema. If the compound was given at a dose of 200 to 300 mg/kg, the density of the brain tissue was increased, but not up to the control level, and the total water content had no significant change. They suggested that the mechanism of the anti-edematous action of Picamilon is linked with a change in energy metabolism in neurologic tissue.

Quickly through The Blood Barrier

Thirty minutes after injections of Picamilon into rats at a dose of 100 mg/kg (intraperitoneally) the concentration of the oxidized form of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) in the brain rises by 67 percent above the control level, and that serum lactate dehydrogenase activity falls by 23 percent, with glutamateoxalate transaminase activity showing no significant change. A more prolonged action of the compound led to normalization of the NAD level in the rats' brains.

The study of the effect of Picamilon on active GABA uptake by synaptosomes in the rat cerebral cortex showed that it moderately inhibits GABA uptake by synaptosomes, whereas niacin has no appreciable inhibitory action on this process.

Scientists at the Department of Biochemistry, Odessa University, found that Picamilon passes quickly through the blood-brain barrier. As early as 30 minutes after subcutaneous injection, the compound was found in the brain, penetrating it by an order of magnitude more rapidly than GABA. The time course of accumulation of Picamilon in the brain correlated with its blood level. Accumulation of the compound in muscle tissue one to two hours after injection was greater (10 times) than that of GABA. Picamilon is retained in the body longer than GABA.

A six-month toxicity study showed that Picamilon does not change the behavior or condition of rats when administered in doses of three to 75 mg/kg, and causes no significant changes in the blood, urine and internal organs of the animals. Some morphological changes were found in the kidneys of rats receiving Picamilon in a dose of 75 mg/kg (15 times higher than the therapeutic dose). A microscopic study of the kidneys indicated manifestations of glomerulonephritis and nephrosclerosis, which led to the consideration of renal pathology as a contraindication to Picamilon. However, during clinical studies with Picamilon- even when administered over a long period or in repeated courses-no disturbances were found in the kidneys or the urinary system.

Adverse Effects Few

Picamilon produces no allergenic, teratogenic, embryotoxic or carcinogenic effects. On this basis, the pharmacological committee of the Ministry of the Health (Russia) recommended clinical trials of Picamilon for cerebrovascular disturbances, as a daytime tranquilizer, as a stimulant in depressive and asthenic (weakening) states, and to improve physical and mental working capacity. Picamilon was studied in a large number of scientific facilities within Russia. The total number of patients under observation was 984. Picamilon tablets were prescribed two to three times a day at a dose of 0.02 to 0.05 grams, and in a daily dose of 0.04 to 0.3 grams. Courses of treatment lasted from two weeks to one-and-a-half months. The effectiveness of treatment was assessed by clinical and laboratory tests. Cerebral blood movements were evaluated by objective methods, including echopulsography, echoencephalography, rheo- encephalography, ultrasonic scanning, biomicroscopy of the conjuctiva, and electroencephalography.

In patients with acute cerebrovascular disturbances, improvement occurred on the fourth or fifth day, when the severity of neurologic symptoms was reduced. Later, headache, dizziness, noise in the head and memory disorders were reduced, motor and speech disorders began to regress rapidly, sleep improved, and irritability, emotional stress and anxiety were reduced. The velocity of cerebral blood flow was increased.

Administration of Picamilon to patients suffering from the results of cerebrovascular disturbances (more than a month later) proved effective after the second or third day of treatment. The patients' emotional background, speech and memory were improved, and levels of enzyme activity (AST, ALT, LDH) and lactate concentration were restored to normal.

Scientists who studied the effects of GABA derivatives on the development of toxic cerebral edema (fluid on the brain) showed that Picamilon in specific doses prevented the development of edema.

In chronic cerebral insufficiency, Picamilon improved the mood and memory of the patients, reduced irritability and tearfulness, abolished autonomic vascular manifestations, and reduced metabolic disturbances. In patients with memory disorders (global amnesia), considerable improvement in memorization and recall was observed on the fifth to seventh day of treatment, and the patients were able to return to work.

In patients with astheno-neurotic anxiety and depression, activation of mental functions and motor activity was observed, including improved speed and quality of operative activity, concentration of attention and mood, relief of anxiety, improved working capacity, and so on. The use of Picamilon in depression, along with moderate doses of tricyclic antidepressants, enabled the doses of the latter to be reduced. In patients with alcoholism, Picamilon abolished many withdrawal symptoms, especially apathy, weariness and lethargy. The patients later become more tranquil, less fussy and anxious, and their working capacity improved.

Lowers Blood Pressure

The effect of Picamilon on cerebral blood flow was compared with that of papaverine and complamin. The scientists found that Picamilon had a stronger blood pressure-lowering effect than papaverine; complamin mainly affects the peripheral circulation, and it exhibits neither tranquilizing nor stimulating properties.

Picamilon is an approved drug in Russia. It is intended for use in adults as a vasoactive (effecting the caliber of blood vessels) and nootropic (benefiting cognition and nerves) agent for acute cerebrovascular disturbances of mild severity, chronic cerebrovascular insufficiency, and vegetovascular dystonia (an imbalance between sympathetic and parasympathetic influences on vascular tone). The drug is indicated as a tranquilizer for states of anxiety, fear, increased irritability and emotional stress. Picamilon is recommended for depressive disorders in the elderly and for senile psychoses. In management of drug addictions, the compound can be used to abolish withdrawal symptoms in chronic alcoholics. Picamilon is supplied in 0.01, 0.02, and 0.05 gram tablets. It has a useful shelf life of 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picamilon Draws Attention

This New Russian Drug Rapidly Penetrates The Blood-Brain Barrier, Producing A Beneficial Effecton The Brain's Metabolism

By A.L. Karayev

The chemical modification of widely used vitamins is one of the fundamental trends in the search for new pharmaceutical agents. The main advantages of vitamin-like drugs are the broad spectrums of action, the easy penetration through cellular membranes, the low toxicity, and the rare side-effects. The broad spectrum of action of these agents is connected not only with their influence on unspecific metabolic processes, but also on various neurotransmitter systems.

In experiments, Picamilon decreases cerebral blood-vessel tone and increases intracranial circulation rate. The drug exceeds in force and duration the effects of GABA and niacin alone. In small doses, Picamilon shows tranquilizing action to prevent the negative effects of emotional stress. As with diazepam, it depresses motivative aggression. The tranquilizing influence of the drug on negative emotions expressed through the hypothalamic system has been proved. Picamilon is characterized by a tranquilizing effect, without a sedative component but with elements of stimulant action.

The drug effectively counteracts stress and lowers the depressing influence of ethanol on the behavior of animals. It rapidly penetrates through the blood-brain barrier and improves the functional state of the brain by producing a beneficial effect on its metabolism.

Picamilon has been found to have low toxicity during experiments on animals. The median lethal dose is more than 10 gram per kilogram of body weight and more than 6 g/kg intravenously. The low toxicity was demonstrated during six months of chronic toxicity testing when the drug displayed no allergenic, carcinogenic, teratogenic or embryotoxic action.

Independent researchers in 16 medical centers in Russia carried out a clinical trial with Picamilon in a great number of patients. Picamilon was prescribed two or three times a day in doses of 20 to 50 mg. The course of therapy ranged from two weeks to three months.

Significant Neurologic Improvement

Picamilon proved to be quite effective in patients with acute brain syndrome. On the second or third day after taking the medicine, the patients showed significant neurologic improvement. The positive dynamics of the cerebral signs were noted. The effect increased when taking the drug, especially during the second and third week of treatment. In this case, objective methods of examination were used to document the increase of cerebral circulation, and the normalization of cerebrovascular resistance.

Picamilon was effective in patients with mild-to-moderate impairment during subacute and early convalescent periods. It improved emotional conditions, speech and memory. Patients showed increased general activity, and better work and social adaptation.

Picamilon stimulated physical and psychic rehabilitation from various asthenic (weakening) disorders due to mental and somatic pathology. Picamilon was effective in patients with neurotic disorders in which the leading signs were asthenic-asthenodepression, and asthenohypochondriac disturbances that accompany fear, anxiety, fatigue, emotional and vegetative instability, and sleep disturbances.

Picamilon reduced anxiety and hyperesthesia (whereby normal touch creates pain) without sedative effects, which improved sleep.

According to the majority of researchers, usage of Picamilon employed as a means of correcting neuroses, manic-depressive syndrome, involutional depression and schizophrenia enabled doctors to decrease doses of psychotropic drugs used in the treatment of these conditions. The combining of Picamilon with conventional treatments accelerated reduction of the psychopathological signs when compared to conventional treatments alone.

Improvement in A Week

Picamilon also was effective in patients with psycho-organic syndromes including cerebral atherosclerosis, brain injury from physical trauma, and toxic lesions of the brain. The condition of these patients took a turn for the better by the end of the first week.

The effectiveness of Picamilon in patients with migraine headache was studied. It has been established that the drug has a pronounced effect on painful hemicrania-pain or headache in one side of the head-by decreasing its intensity and mitigating or stopping any accompanying symptoms. In persons suffering from chronic alcoholism, Picamilon alleviated withdrawal symptoms.

Alcohol Withdrawal Aided

The effectiveness of Picamilon was compared with other similar drugs, including nootropyl, phenazepam, diazepam, vinpocetin, complamino and papaverin. It was noted that the psycho-stimulant effect of Picamilon was greater than nootropyl (piracetam). After taking Picamilon the patients felt significantly better. Giddiness and tremor disappeared quicker.

Most patients preferred Picamilon to nootropyl. It normalized the behavior of patients faster and more completely than nootropyl. In another study, Picamilon acted faster than vinpocetin in treating withdrawal symptoms in patients suffering from chronic alcoholism.

According to clinical studies, Picamilon is recommended for the treatment of cerebrovascular diseases in subacute and early convalescent periods, as well as for transient brain damage, neurocirculatory dystonia, and chronic cerebral circulatory insufficiency. The drug is recommended as a tranquilizer possessing no sedative action. Picamilon can be prescribed in cases of asthenic (weakening) syndrome and disorders due to various psychotic and somatic pathology. It is used in the treatment of depressive disorders in the elderly and as therapy for senile psychoses. It also is recommended for the prevention and treatment of anxiety and stress. In persons suffering from chronic alcoholism, Picamilon may be used to relieve the symptoms of withdrawal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translated from Russian

Pikamilon

The beginning of the 1970s and subsequent years is characterized by the appearance of a new class of medicinal preparations, called nootropics, which are finding increasingly wider applications in various areas of medicine. Nootropic preparations are applied successfully for breakdowns of memory, attention, learning, and for treatment of loss of brain blood circulation, brain trauma, chronic alcoholism and other disorders. Among the medicinal properties of this group a notable place is occupied by the domestic preparation pikamilon, synthesized in 1969 by the All-Union Scientific Research Institute and studied in the NII pharmacological RAN. By chemical structure pikamilon is a derivative of the gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABA) and nicotinic acid. Pikamilon was introduced in medical practice in 1986, and to the present time has achieved sufficiently large experience in its application.

The great interest of clinicians in pikamilon may be attributed to the unique combination of its pharmacological properties. It possesses high cerebrovascular activity, which exceeds the effect of cinnarizine, papaverine, xanthinol niacinate, and piracetam. One of the most important components in the spectrum of psychotropic activity is its nootropic effect, which determines its clinical use to a significant degree. Pikamilon has a unique tranquilizing effect (the manifestation of action is inferior to diazepam); in this case pikamilon does not cause a myorelaxation effect. The important property of pikamilon is the ability to quickly restore mental and physical fitness for work, which was lost through overstress. Clinical experience with application of pikamilon shows that it is effective for ischemic disturbances of cerebral blood circulation, discirculatory encephalopathy, vegetative dystonia, and for prevention and treatment of the simple form of migraine. Pikamilon has proven an effective medicinal treatment for patients with disorders of a neurotic level, with accompanying manifestations of anxiety, fear, emotional and vegetative instability. pikamilon finds a use in the complex treatment of alcoholism and acute alcoholic intoxication. At this time the list of indications for prescription of pikamilon is constantly growing. Clinical studies have shown that pikamilon possesses favorable properties in opthalmological practice in the treatment of primary open glaucoma, diseases of the retina and the optic nerve of vascular genesis. It has been adapted also in urological practice for treatment of neurological disorders of urination in children and adults. It is important to note that pikamilon does not cause habituation, but its safety is proven for 10 years in wide and intensive clinical application. Pikamilon is prescribed both in mono-preparation and in combination with other medicinal agents.

The fact of the varied spectrum of therapeutic action, noted by many clinicians, testifies to the possibility of a wider application of pikamilon in the capacity of a medicinal and preventative agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended by the experts.

Anti-Depressive Procedures

By Richard Brown MD

Ed.- Dr. Brown is one of the leading psychiatrists in New York and is a forthright and strong advocate of cutting-edge international pharmaceutical technology. He is also a regular author of innovative medical books both for the public and professional alike. His latest pennings are professional publications outlining the medical uses of several new products and protocols, the first is called Alternative Treatments in Psychiatry and published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, London, UK. The other forthcoming publication is Alternative Treatments in Brain Injury, published by the American Psychiatric Press, Inc., Washington, D.C.

Picamilon: The Russian Development

I have also found picamilon to be a helpful medication. This Russian medication is a combination of GABA and niacin in the same molecule. It is helpful for anxiety and depression, especially with cerebral vascular disorder with mood symptoms and/or confusion. For example, a middle-aged divorced university professor who I have now been seeing for nine years came for treatment of a resistant depression. She failed multiple trials of all available classes of antidepressants. She had transient response to a course of electroconvulsive therapy. As I tried to puzzle over why a patient with a relatively classical depression was so unresponsive to multiple trials of conventional antidepressants, I commenced a work up of her cardiovascular system that indicated she had not only abnormalities in her lipid profile and glucose metabolism (although not diabetic), but also had problems with elevated homocysteine, (a major risk factor for vascular disease) and highly sensitive C-reactive protein. These findings, combined with subtle cognitive deficits (which were not characteristic of her previous outstanding academic performance), led me to believe that she had developed a slowly progressive cerebral vascular disease which was interfering with her response to medications. She was perhaps twenty percent better on extended release Effexor ® 600 mg per day, reboxetine 4 mg a day (more made her feel uncomfortably anxious), quetiapine 100 mg at night for agitation and insomnia, and S-adenosyl methionine 400 mg per day. The addition of picamilon ultimately at 100 mg three times a day cleared up the kind of brain fog under which she has labored for some time. The picamilon enabled her to have more energy, more enthusiasm, and a greater sense of involvement in her daily activities. I believe she falls into an often-ignored category now recognized by geriatric psychiatrists as being vascular depression.

However, picamilon is more versatile than this. It can be useful in patients post-stroke. I also commonly see patients with Parkinson's disease, depression, and evidence of cerebral vascular disease from a history of strokes or abnormal findings on magnetic resonance imaging. Picamilon can be extremely helpful in giving these patients a decrease in anxiety and depression, without sedation and with a mild pleasant stimulation. It may be used in a variety of other organic brain syndromes. For example, one patient in his mid-fifties had developed a treatment resistant depression during the course of which he also suffered several strokes and cognitive impairment. This was ultimately found to be due to an antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Although his depression was at least partially responsive to Effexor ®, his cognitive functioning and energy were poor. His daily activity was quite limited, particularly because of apathy and fatigue. In this case the patient was greatly helped by the addition of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, picamilon, and SAM-e. For all three medications the doses had to be given aggressively. If any one medication were decreased he would basically become non-functional.

The New Generation of Brain Drugs and Anti-Depressants

By Robert Mason PhD

Picamilone- The Russian Connection

Picamilone is a Russian development, it is in essence the bonding of niacin (vitamin B3) to GABA. This combination acts very differently and uniquely and can't be compared to just taking both niacin and GABA together as individual supplements. We know that niacin is very effective in crossing the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to enhance cognitive function by protecting the neurons against the effects of diminished blood flow. GABA on the other hand has a placating action, possibly helping to stabilise other neurotransmitters and have a calming affect.

Picamilone- Anti-Anxiety, Anti-Depression & Stimulation, All in One?

Picamilone is a very effective vasodilator (it improves brain blood flow), in fact Russian experiments suggest that picamilone is better than hydergine ® and even better than vinpocetine in this regard. I would consider vinpocetine to be the current industry leader in regard to its vasodilatation action, so for picamilone to be considered better is praise indeed. It appears that the synergism between niacin and GABA is very strong indeed. For whilst vasodilatation is occurring, more likely the result of the niacin (xanthinol nicotinate is considered to be the most potent form of niacin) it is also displaying a mild tranquillising effect, which helps prevent the negative effects of emotional stress. This second trait is the likely affect of GABA, as it is with the basis of the diazepam tranquillising drugs (such as Valium ®) which inhibits the reuptake of GABA, the presence of GABA appears to have a calming affect upon us. But what makes picamilone unique is that whilst it counteracts stress and anxiety, it doesn't have a sedative action, in fact quite the reverse it can have a mild stimulatory action. Picamilone may be the first anti-anxiety drug that literally doesn't make you drowsy! Again Russian studies (picamilone has been available in the CIS countries since 1989), have compared picamilone with other psycho-stimulant drugs including Nootropil ® (piracetam), phenazepam, diazepam, vinpocetine, xanthinol nicotinate (Complamin ®) and papaverine. It was noted that the stimulant properties of picamilone were greater than that of piracetam, after taking picamilone the patients felt better and giddiness and tremor disappeared. Further benefits of picamilone over the 'classic' tranquillising drugs are that it does not display any signs of inducing muscle relaxation, lethargy or drowsiness. Picamilone has a number of positive benefits for the patient, it can reduce anxiety, lower stress and yet at the same time display a non-sleepy action or indeed even a stimulatory property. As such, many patients exclaim that they have a 'good feeling' whilst using the supplement.

Picamilone- Dosages, Side Effects and Contraindications

The good news is that in over 10-years of use in the former Russian states picamilone can be considered to be a very safe drug. It has not been shown to produce any allergenic, teratogenic, embryotoxic or carcinogenic effects. Most side effects have been noted as headache, dizziness and nausea. It has been stated that at higher dosages picamilone can lower blood pressure, and whilst this may be advantageous in some cases those persons with already low blood pressure should be monitored. Due to its potent properties it is advisable not to use any other vasodilating agents whilst using picamilone unless under the close supervision of a physician. Apart from the known listed drugs this list may also want to include vinpocetine, ginkgo biloba, niacin derivatives (such as xanthinol nicotinate) and the ergot preparations such as bromocriptine, hydergine ® and nicergoline. If taking high dosages of picamilone other nootropic agents such as piracetam and its analogues may also need to be listed.

The effects of picamilone are fast acting, often within an hour and the half life usually ensures that these effects continue for a period of approximately 6-hours. Accordingly dosages have been applied twice or three times daily, but late evening use should be avoided otherwise insomnia may ensue. Dosages for anti-anxiety are approximately 50mg 2 or 3 times daily, if a stimulatory property is also required this should probably have to be increased to more like 100mg 2 or 3 times daily.

Picamilone- The Conclusion

Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough time or space to elaborate on the many properties and uses of picamilone. To list a few of the known clinical results, picamilone has shown promise in memory, mood, anxiety, stress, motor and speech disturbances, sleep, irritability, alcohol withdrawal and visual acuity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, interesting. I like the data on the lowering of blood pressure. Im currently taking no supps at all (other than fish oil, mulit, creatine and whey), due to the fact that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.

Steve- Im assuming your site where you are talking about it is uniquenutrition.com correct? For what Im looking for, what would be a good dosage (amount, times per day and how many days per week) to start?

Dopamine- Im just looking for something that will help with stress/motivation/focus, without the dangers of raising blood pressure or anything that is habit forming. I just had my first son, so due to lack of sleep and work, Im looking for something on the supp side to somewhat calm me down (vs using some sort of prescription drug- ie valium or xanax, etc), or relying too much on my friends MJ and alcohol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='447336' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:28 AM
    hmmm, interesting. I like the data on the lowering of blood pressure. Im currently taking no supps at all (other than fish oil, mulit, creatine and whey), due to the fact that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.

Steve- Im assuming your site where you are talking about it is uniquenutrition.com correct? For what Im looking for, what would be a good dosage (amount, times per day and how many days per week) to start?

I'm not mentioning any website but you can check CNW, CN, etc. It varies but usually 150 mg 1-3 times daily does the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSliwa' post='447416' date='Jan 9 2008, 12:56 PM
    I'm not mentioning any website but you can check CNW, CN, etc. It varies but usually 150 mg 1-3 times daily does the job.

Ah, okay..the only reason I ask was because you said that you currently produce the best priced product. I check CNW and cant find any pure picamilon...maybe Im not looking at the right thing, not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ripped218' post='447446' date='Jan 9 2008, 02:22 PM
    http://www.cognitivenutrition.com/index.ph...;product_id=116

They also have bulk powder but it is currently out of stock.

I found that and excuse my ignorance, but is picamilon and Piracetam the same thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='447442' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:14 PM
    Ah, okay..the only reason I ask was because you said that you currently produce the best priced product. I check CNW and cant find any pure picamilon...maybe Im not looking at the right thing, not sure.

Well my brand is. There's well over a dozen distributors online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='447449' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:28 PM
    I found that and excuse my ignorance, but is picamilon and Piracetam the same thing?
    No those are two very different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ripped218' post='447475' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:28 PM
    No those are two very different things.

Your link goes to a piracetam product.

Here is a link to Picamilon products including bulk.

http://www.cognitivenutrition.com/index.ph...amp;q=picamilon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSliwa' post='447479' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:33 PM
    Your link goes to a piracetam product.

Here is a link to Picamilon products including bulk.

http://www.cognitivenutrition.com/index.ph...amp;q=picamilon
    Woops,my bad you are right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve's got this primarily covered but I'm logging Picamilon on two boards right now and Am enjoying it immensely. Focus, Mood, and Stress are two areas that I struggled with and recently I've been getting better nights sleep, less worrying, and less stressed in general. Usually I can't even watch a full movie without having to get up and do something or worry about what I should be doing, but recently I've been able to relax and just take it easy.

My dosages have been 100 mg 3x daily with food. I'll be bumping it up to between 200 - 300 mg to see how that effects me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cal62887' post='448630' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:00 PM
    Steve's got this primarily covered but I'm logging Picamilon on two boards right now and Am enjoying it immensely. Focus, Mood, and Stress are two areas that I struggled with and recently I've been getting better nights sleep, less worrying, and less stressed in general. Usually I can't even watch a full movie without having to get up and do something or worry about what I should be doing, but recently I've been able to relax and just take it easy.

My dosages have been 100 mg 3x daily with food. I'll be bumping it up to between 200 - 300 mg to see how that effects me...

Cool, I actually just ordered some last week, so I should have it anyday now. So taking it with meals is preferred? Also, are you taking it everyday, or just some days of the week? Not sure if this is good to take everyday or not, so just asking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' post='448649' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:33 PM
    Cool, I actually just ordered some last week, so I should have it anyday now. So taking it with meals is preferred? Also, are you taking it everyday, or just some days of the week? Not sure if this is good to take everyday or not, so just asking.

I'm taking it daily with food. It says on the bottle to take with food so I'm simply following directions.... Youre more than welcome to check out my log on another forum (not so sure if i can post the link here...) if you're interested, pm me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me know if you got that PM.. it's not showing up in my sent box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cal62887' post='448672' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:20 PM
    let me know if you got that PM.. it's not showing up in my sent box

Yeah, I got it, thanks. I am going to check it out a little later tonight.

Thread Information