User Tag List

Thread: Resveratrol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your guys thoughts on Resveratrol? I keep reading about it. It's pretty amazing. It has implications for weight control/fat loss. Anti-aging, super antioxidant, anti-cancer...the list goes on. I know this isnt knew to most of you but why isnt a reputable supplement company selling it yet? Bioavailability issues?

Biotest sells a 300mg dose. There are numerous other companies selling it now in various dosages.

Is this stuff super pricey to source? I also read it degrades very easily. Dosages and actual Resveratrol amounts vary depending on the extraction and so on. If I was going to shell out money for something like this there is no other company I would want to be supplying it than NP. I've come to trust their word and reputation.

Terry Grossman MD is a leading doctor/researcher in this area and a big proponent of anti-aging type stuff.

Q: You recommend 400 mg/day of resveratrol yet there no studies that even remotely approach that amount (only a few clinical studies have been done). Using the most potent resveratrol-concentrated wine ever measured (25 mg/bottle) versus the typical 1/4 mg per glass or 1.5 mg bottle one would need to consume 15 to 267 bottle of red wine/day to get that amount of resveratrol. How can you justify that amount? Isn't there a lethal dose established for resveratrol? Independent of that, there are no studies at high levels.

Terry: A: The reservatrol we refer to in our book is resveratrol 200 mg (polygonum cuspidatum) extract (root). It is standardized to contain 20% total resveratrol or 40 mg. We recommend taking 1-2 capsules of this root (200-400 mg) as mentioned in the book, which is equivalent to 40-80 mg resveratrol.

I dont know what the actual dose recieved is in the 300mg Biotest product. Other brands are dosed at 40-60 per cap. I really dont trust too many of the products I see out there. There are major issues with storage, processing, degradation etc.
    • BBC NEWS | Health | Wine 'allows guilt-free gluttony'

• Resveratrol: Cutting-Edge Technology Available Today <- They sell a resveratol product but the wrietup is decent nonetheless. As for the legitmacy of the product itself, who knows. I dont trust that all the kinks have been worked out yet. Biotest jumped on the hype fueled bandwagon too (called Rez-V). I don't trust them either though...

• Entrez PubMed

• Chanvitayapongs, S., Draczynska-Lusiak, B., and Sun AY. Amelioration of oxidative stress by antioxidants and resveratrol in PC12 cells. Neuroreport 8 (1997): 1499-1502. <-- potent antioxidant

• Kimura, Y., Okuda, H. and Arichi, S. Effects of silbenes on arachidonate metabolism in leukocytes. Biochem Biophys Acta 834 (1985): 275-278. <-- anti-inflammatory

• Miloso, M. et al. Resveratrol-induced activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinases, ERK1 and ERK2, in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells. Neuroscience Letters 264 (1999): 141-144.

• Orgogozo, J. et al. Wine consumption and dementia in the elderly: a prospective community study in the Bordeaux area. Rev Neurol 153 (1997): 185-192.

• Pace-Asciak, C., Hahn, S., Diamandis, E. P., Soleas, C., and Goldberg, D. M. The red wine phenolics trans-resveratrol and quercetin block human platelet aggregation and eicosanoid synthesis: implications for protection against coronary heart disease. Clin Chim Acta 235 (1995): 207-219. <-- fights heart disease
    Metabolism and Bioavailability

Although trans-resveratrol appears to be well-absorbed by humans when taken orally, its bioavailability is relatively low due to its rapid metabolism and elimination (7). When healthy men and women took an oral dose of 25 mg of trans-resveratrol, only traces of the unchanged resveratrol were detected in plasma (blood), while plasma concentrations of resveratrol metabolites peaked 30-60 minutes later at concentrations around 2 micromoles/liter (7, 8). The bioavailability of resveratrol from grape juice, which contains mostly glucosides of resveratrol (piceid) may be even lower than that of trans-resveratrol (9). Information about the bioavailability of resveratrol in humans is important because much of the basic research on resveratrol has been conducted in cultured cells exposed to unmetabolized resveratrol at concentrations that are often 10-100 times greater than peak concentrations observed in human plasma after oral consumption (10). Although cells that line the digestive tract are exposed to unmetabolized resveratrol, research in humans suggests that other tissues are exposed primarily to resveratrol metabolites. Little is known about the biological activity of resveratrol metabolites, and it is not known whether some tissues are capable of converting resveratrol metabolites back to resveratrol (7).

In the test tube, resveratrol effectively scavenges (neutralizes) free radicals and other oxidants (11) and inhibits low density lipoprotein (LDL) oxidation (12, 13). However, there is little evidence that resveratrol is an important antioxidant in vivo (14). After oral consumption of resveratrol, circulating and intracellular levels of resveratrol in humans are likely to be much lower than that of other important antioxidants, such as vitamin C, vitamin E and glutathione. Moreover, the antioxidant activity of resveratrol metabolites, which comprise most of the circulating resveratrol, may be lower than that of resveratrol.

Most resveratrol supplements available in the U.S. contain extracts of the root of Polygonum cuspidatum, also known as Hu Zhang or kojo-kon (80). Red wine extracts and red grape extracts containing resveratrol and other polyphenols are also available in the U.S. as dietary supplements. Resveratrol supplements may contain anywhere from 10-50 mg of resveratrol, but the effective doses for chronic disease prevention in humans are not known.

Some company is going to patent a delivery mechanism and/or an extraction technique and make a TON. I wouldnt be surprised to see a Pharm try to replicate it with a synthetic. All of the benefits fo red wine (antioxidant, heart etc.) are basically attributed to this.

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University <-- WORTH A LOOK

I haven't seen so many benefits attributed to one compound in a log time (if ever).
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice,ive been meaning to ask about this as well.id like to see general current consensus of this.and more specifically what dose for optimal benefits and a good source for it.as ive seen a bunch of conflicting info on dosing and if the runn of the mill supps that contain it are worth a damn or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search on the imminst.org supplement forum for very intelligent discussions on resveratrol

Thread Information