User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In his new book Dr. Eric Braverman's mentions that broccoli is the best dopamine boosting foods. I wonder why ? He doesn't tell why--that's what I hate about his books, but overall I like his books.

I know that broccoli contains folate, and is a rich source of glutathione.

I'm trying to figure out how it can boost DA ?

Of course it's just a foods, so the boost isn't going to be major, but every little bit helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible in the 3-indole Carbinol type route?? or DIM....supresing estrogenic activity??
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." - Bruce Lee

"Note the emphasis on slight and initially, which is different than huge and forever." - MD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlex' post='380513' date='Jan 8 2007, 12:09 PM

possible in the 3-indole Carbinol type route?? or DIM....supresing estrogenic activity??

Beat me, but it might make sense. If only Dr. Braverman would explain what study he got that from, or at least the mechanism behind it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh by the way and off topic, you got a cool nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further into Dr. Braverman's new book : *Younger you*, I found this and I quote :

''Leptin controls dopamine levels''.

Later he writes this :

''Leptin-producing, appetite-suppressing super foods.

Eat one complete serving of each of these foods to boost your leptin production. For the most bang for the buck, broccoli is clearly the best dopamine-enhancing food.

Apples

Pomegrenate juice

Salmon

Broccoli

Carrots

Eggs white

Spinach

Unsalted almonds ''

End of the quote.

So here the dopamine increasing ability of broccoli appears to be through increased leptin. I admit to not being at all familiar with the leptin/dopamine connection. Perhaps some more knowledgeable forums users will chime in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Douglas' post='380550' date='Jan 8 2007, 06:56 PM

Further into Dr. Braverman's new book : *Younger you*, I found this and I quote :

''Leptin controls dopamine levels''.

Later he writes this :

''Leptin-producing, appetite-suppressing super foods.

Eat one complete serving of each of these foods to boost your leptin production. For the most bang for the buck, broccoli is clearly the best dopamine-enhancing food.

Apples

Pomegrenate juice

Salmon

Broccoli

Carrots

Eggs white

Spinach

Unsalted almonds ''

End of the quote.

So here the dopamine increasing ability of broccoli appears to be through increased leptin. I admit to not being at all familiar with the leptin/dopamine connection. Perhaps some more knowledgeable forums users will chime in.
    A good read to learn more about the dopamine/leptin connection, is Lyle Mcdonald's " Bromocriptine:An old drug with new uses. It advocates the use of Dopamine agonists such as Bromocriptine, to enhance weight loss on a diet and to keep you from plateauing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I haven't read up on Leptin yet, but I believe that broccoli is a very good source of chromium.

So.... chromium > controls blood sugar > decreases food cravings

now for some of my speculation .... decreases food cravings > caloric restriction > increased neurotrophic

factors > healthier dopamine neurons > more efficient dopamine production/utilization

..... probably not what Braverman was thinking, but who knows what that guy is thinking anyway.

BTW... do you supplement with Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, and Methionine for dopamine production?
    Just because I do not want something to happen -- does not mean that I need to fear it.

Anxiety is just a tool that one uses in times of uncertainty. There are many other tools readily available that one would be better off learning to use.

What is the greatness of man -- other than unjust classifications and imbalanced optimizations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos' post='380764' date='Jan 9 2007, 08:12 PM

Well I haven't read up on Leptin yet, but I believe that broccoli is a very good source of chromium.

So.... chromium > controls blood sugar > decreases food cravings

now for some of my speculation .... decreases food cravings > caloric restriction > increased neurotrophic

factors > healthier dopamine neurons > more efficient dopamine production/utilization

..... probably not what Braverman was thinking, but who knows what that guy is thinking anyway.

BTW... do you supplement with Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, and Methionine for dopamine production?

Haven't really given Tyro. Phenylalanine and methionine a go so far, but I was thinking about it days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Douglas' post='380877' date='Jan 10 2007, 04:46 PM

Haven't really given Tyro. Phenylalanine and methionine a go so far, but I was thinking about it days ago.

what about mucuna puriens?

it contains L-dopa which is the final recursor to dopamine if i'm not mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike250' post='380887' date='Jan 10 2007, 05:18 PM

what about mucuna puriens?

it contains L-dopa which is the final recursor to dopamine if i'm not mistaken.
    In theory, and I have talked to someone more knowledgable on the subject than I and he also stated this. Depreyl could also work through this way but by a different mechanism as it increases the free dopamine pool ,instead of being a dopamine receptor agonist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ripped218' post='380900' date='Jan 10 2007, 06:31 PM

In theory, and I have talked to someone more knowledgable on the subject than I and he also stated this. Depreyl could also work through this way but by a different mechanism as it increases the free dopamine pool ,instead of being a dopamine receptor agonist.

there is a product called craniyums which contains l-tyrosine and l-dopa in lozenges. not sure if you've heard about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey hey!METH is also good for dopamine boosting
    Mind and Muscle:
    Even on the second day, the results were already incredible (once again). While sexual energy is higher, the feeling of urgency is greatly reduced. I no longer dream of marrying every average looking woman I look at. I speak with the confidence. I make eye contact. I am less tempted to try my luck with fat chicks. etc, etc, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, the presence of quercetin in broccoli means that the overall effect on neurotransmitter function is going to be fairly fucking complex. Excellent addition to diet in any case IMO
    Mind and Muscle:
    Even on the second day, the results were already incredible (once again). While sexual energy is higher, the feeling of urgency is greatly reduced. I no longer dream of marrying every average looking woman I look at. I speak with the confidence. I make eye contact. I am less tempted to try my luck with fat chicks. etc, etc, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only study on this directly shows polyphenol oxidase decreasing in vitro dopamine. (source)

Estrogens have a complex effect on dopamine; they can decrease DA transmission in favor of glutamergic, but also dramatically increase DA sensitivity, thus why women get a much stronger effect from dopaminergics. Phytoestrogens complicate this further; they can function as ER agonists or as SERM depending on endogenous E levels and the type of receptor/location. Further, depending on intestinal microflora, many can be metabolized to the much more potent phytoestrogen equol.

I want to see Braverman back up his claims with data and cites.
    <span style="color:#660000"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow">"... </span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#8b0000">fresh bread, which deforms elastically is not frangible." --Wikipedia</span></span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frangible' post='380973' date='Jan 11 2007, 03:58 PM

The only study on this directly shows polyphenol oxidase decreasing in vitro dopamine. (source)

Estrogens have a complex effect on dopamine; they can decrease DA transmission in favor of glutamergic, but also dramatically increase DA sensitivity, thus why women get a much stronger effect from dopaminergics. Phytoestrogens complicate this further; they can function as ER agonists or as SERM depending on endogenous E levels and the type of receptor/location. Further, depending on intestinal microflora, many can be metabolized to the much more potent phytoestrogen equol.

I want to see Braverman back up his claims with data and cites.
    Broccoli isn't supposed to have indole-3-carbinol with Antiestrogen properties?Hah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zuper' post='380988' date='Jan 11 2007, 08:28 AM

Broccoli isn't supposed to have indole-3-carbinol with Antiestrogen properties?Hah.

indole-3-carbinol binds to ERalpha receptors, the betas are what are predominantly expressed centrally. I also don't think it's correct to equate antiestrogen with "dopamine boosting" when a great many studies show that estrogen sensitizes dopamine receptors.

So like all the rest of Braverman's shit, I will again ask: where's the proof?

(not that I'm saying eating broccoli is bad, I just don't think it's going to do much for your DA levels)
    <span style="color:#660000"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow">"... </span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#8b0000">fresh bread, which deforms elastically is not frangible." --Wikipedia</span></span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frangible' post='380990' date='Jan 11 2007, 07:43 AM

So like all the rest of Braverman's shit, I will again ask: where's the proof?

If there was proof he would have included some but at best there's ambiguous results somewhere on some study, bla bla. I read the Edge Effect. I got about half way through it when I realized that there's more and better information on this board alone. He made a few leaps that really bothered me.

eat your broccoli.

Use the book as a plate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braverman doesn't back up his claims and this alone is very annoying.

Thread Information