User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back a few months ago, I startded having this pain in my upper (right side) ab area. I thought it was an abdominal hernia or ulcer, but after going to the doctors and him checking everything, he determined it was one of my 'floating' ribs. I had him feel the area where it is tender/pain, and he said for sure it was one of these ribs. He also said there isnt much I can do about it and it just needs to heal on its own.

The only problem is, its not getting better and has really been bothering me lately..especially if I sneeze or cough. Anyone ever experience this or know anything about it? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone has "floating ribs". If you've fractured/bruised them (or any other rib) it is a bitch. It will make training difficult.

Bottom line: advil, etc for the pain (actually you could use wobenzye, etc see currect surgery thread) and just try to avoid axascerbating it till it heals.
    <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">THEORY=/REAL WORLD</span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look to your physical habits for causative (other than overt injury) for this malady.

I did indeed suffer from this same rib irritation. Self inflicted, caused by carrying a heavy load of texts tucked up under my right arm all day, while an undergrad years ago. This occured at a time before backpacks became popular.

The second physician (in the Student Death, I mean, Health Centre) who saw me after I sought additional help for ribs that were becoming increasingly tender, interfering with sleep and daytime activities, quickly identified the mechanical cause and advised that I alternate sides when carrying a heavy load of textbooks.

I was given an anti-inflammatory and finger wagging lecture about avoiding use of shoulder bags that would lead to other issues.

Not sure what your cause is, but I would look to daily habits to assess whether your condition is self-inflicted.
    Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, then the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='ScottL' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:36 AM']Everyone has "floating ribs".* If you've fractured/bruised them (or any other rib) it is a bitch. It will make training difficult.

Bottom line: advil, etc for the pain (actually you could use wobenzye, etc see currect surgery thread) and just try to avoid axascerbating it till it heals.

[snapback]303722[/snapback]

[/quote]

Yeah I just found out about the floating ribs (I believe they are the last two that dont attach to the sternum and everyone does have them) recently...when you say- 'avoid axascerbating it', is that direct ab work? I was thinking of maybe just doing my compounds (ie- squats, deads, etc) and not doing direct ab work until it heals.

Other than the advil for the pain, does it just take time...or is there anything else I should be or shouldnt be doing? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='trouble' date='Feb 6 2006, 09:04 AM']Look to your physical habits for causative (other than overt injury) for this malady.

I did indeed suffer from this same rib irritation.* Self inflicted, caused by carrying a heavy load of texts tucked up under my right arm all day, while an undergrad years ago.* This occured at a time before backpacks became popular.**

The second physician (in the Student Death, I mean, Health Centre) who saw me after I sought additional help for ribs that were becoming increasingly tender, interfering with sleep and daytime activities, quickly identified the mechanical cause and advised that I alternate sides when carrying a heavy load of textbooks.*

I was given an anti-inflammatory and finger wagging lecture about avoiding use of shoulder bags that would lead to other issues.

Not sure what your cause is, but I would look to daily habits to assess whether your condition is self-inflicted.

[snapback]303731[/snapback]

[/quote]

Thanks Trouble...Im thinking by me lifting, its probably not helping, but do not really want to give that up (and the doc said it shouldnt be an issue)...Im wondering if laying off direct ab work is a good idea or not...other than that, am I just looking at time for healing? Besides my workouts, Im pretty much behind a desk all day at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='Raymond333' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:07 PM'][quote name='ScottL' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:36 AM']Everyone has "floating ribs".* If you've fractured/bruised them (or any other rib) it is a bitch. It will make training difficult.

[/quote]

Yeah I just found out about the floating ribs (I believe they are the last two that dont attach to the sternum and everyone does have them) recently...when you say- 'avoid axascerbating it', is that direct ab work? I was thinking of maybe just doing my compounds (ie- squats, deads, etc) and not doing direct ab work until it heals.

Other than the advil for the pain, does it just take time...or is there anything else I should be or shouldnt be doing? Thanks.

[snapback]303734[/snapback]

[/quote]

As I recall from when I bruised some of my regular ribs it was tough finding any exercise that did't hurt. If it hurts even a little, just lay off it for now.

well....say a fwe grams of vit c/day. Best is ascorbate form and in divided doses. If you're near then end of recovery not sure I'd bother with anything else. IF it's still fresh or hurts a lot then...look in the surgery thread and get the product I linked to (better then wobenzyme) and use that. Multiple times//day on an empty stomach.
    <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">THEORY=/REAL WORLD</span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='ScottL' date='Feb 6 2006, 09:11 AM'][quote name='Raymond333' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:07 PM'][quote name='ScottL' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:36 AM']Everyone has "floating ribs".* If you've fractured/bruised them (or any other rib) it is a bitch. It will make training difficult.

[/quote]

[snapback]303734[/snapback]

[/quote]

As I recall from when I bruised some of my regular ribs it was tough finding any exercise that did't hurt. If it hurts even a little, just lay off it for now.

well....say a fwe grams of vit c/day. Best is ascorbate form and in divided doses. If you're near then end of recovery not sure I'd bother with anything else. IF it's still fresh or hurts a lot then...look in the surgery thread and get the product I linked to (better then wobenzyme) and use that. Multiple times//day on an empty stomach.

[snapback]303740[/snapback]

[/quote]

Ok cool, Ill check that thread out...my wife thinks the doctor may not have been real good and that I should go back and get xrays, etc. But I believe with any rib problem, its just a timely thing and you cant do much. It doesnt bother me when I workout (actually feels better sometimes) so I guess I can keep doing that. It does bother me on 'direct ab' work sometimes, so I may discountinue these.

So can I assume the doc was right and there isnt much he can do for me? I really dont want to take the time off work, pay the copay and all that bs for him to tell me the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond333' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:26 PM

So can I assume the doc was right and there isnt much he can do for me?

No way I can diagnose or give you official medical advise over the net. However as a first approxiamtion I would assume your doc knows what s/he is doing. If it is still bothering you...after 6-8 weeks then I would get a second opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='ScottL' date='Feb 6 2006, 09:58 AM'][quote name='Raymond333' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:26 PM']

So can I assume the doc was right and there isnt much he can do for me? [/quote]

No way I can diagnose or give you official medical advise over the net. However as a first approxiamtion I would assume your doc knows what s/he is doing. If it is still bothering you...after 6-8 weeks then I would get a second opinion.

[snapback]303751[/snapback]

[/quote]

Find an osteopath (DO) that specializes in manipulative medicine or even a chiro. The floating ribs are definitely in the realm of treatment for those types. Everything from directly treating the ribs to fascial release of the quadratus lumborum, diaphragm, etc. can be used.

FYI your doc isn't a quack. No real point in xraying ribs, even if they are broken. Not much you can do other than say, " yeah, uhh, sure...that sucks for you"

Thread Information