User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I take 1 Vitamin B-50 complex (Twinlab brand) per day, I develop the following side effects after a couple of days of usage: anxiety; clumsiness; feeling cold; and feeling like thereís a big lump in my chest. So far I have tested taking folic acid (400 mcg) , biotin (300 mcg) and vitamin b5 (500mg) separately (at equal or larger doses than in the B-50) and these do not produce any side effects (individually or combined).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause these side effects?

The next step will be adding Vitamin B6 (5mg) and Vitamin B12 (200mg).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more info please.. age.

Also have you ever had a complete hormone evaluation done? Most importantly thyroid?

The lump you refer to, is it high up in the middle of the chest, where the breastbone meets the neck or directly below but in-line with this area?
    <a target="_blank" href="http://www.superhumanradio.com/">
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Fun Words We Can Say Together From The Merriam Webster Online Dictionary (turn up your speakers)
    Fun Word 1 Fun Word 2 Fun Word 3 Fun Word 4 Fun Word 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='triceptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 10:22 AM']more info please.. age.

Also have you ever had a complete hormone evaluation done? Most importantly thyroid?

The lump you refer to, is it high up in the middle of the chest, where the breastbone meets the neck or directly below but in-line with this area?

[snapback]281566[/snapback]

[/quote]

Age = 25.

I have never done a complete hormone evaluation.

The lump is slightly below (but inline with that area) where the breastbone meets the neck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This page might be of use to you:

http://www.holistichealthtopics.com/HMG/Bvitamin.html
    ------

These ideas are released under a Creative Commons Share and Share alike license

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add some more information for clarification. I have previously taken 1 B-50 capsule a day for several years, it wasnít until this summer that I came to the realisation that his supplementation had led to the effects I mentioned in my first post, mainly some anxiety and feeling cold most of the time. Also since Iíve stopped with the B-50 my girlfriend has commented on how warm I feel all the time. Now I didnít experience only side effects from the B-50, it actually had quite a positive impact on my memory and clarity of thought (in my subjective opinion).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could be an allergy to one of the fillers. Have you tried any other brance of b-50...some of them contain inositol and choline as well in different forms. Also i know a few ppl who are allergic to any more than a few mcg of b-12 in a b vit.
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." - Bruce Lee

"Note the emphasis on slight and initially, which is different than huge and forever." - MD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='FunkMasterFlex' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:20 PM']could be an allergy to one of the fillers. Have you tried any other brance of b-50...some of them contain inositol and choline as well in different forms. Also i know a few ppl who are allergic to any more than a few mcg of b-12 in a b vit.

[snapback]281590[/snapback]

[/quote]

I'd suspect something along these lines. The only one of the B vitamins that really even qualifies as remotely toxic is B6 and even then it takes grams/day of it over weeks. Niacin can be hepatotoxic but would not give symptoms like you describe.
    Remember, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='FunkMasterFlex' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:20 PM']could be an allergy to one of the fillers. Have you tried any other brance of b-50...some of them contain inositol and choline as well in different forms. Also i know a few ppl who are allergic to any more than a few mcg of b-12 in a b vit.

[snapback]281590[/snapback]

[/quote]

I have tried other brands, with and without inositol och choline. The effects are the same.

Clearly what Iím experiencing could be oversensitivity to one or more of the synthetic forms of B-vitamins. The page ATB linked to provide other possibilities.

As for B-12, sublingual B-12 at 500mcg per day increases my appetite to an extreme degree after a couple of days accompanied by a general feeling of weirdness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as with others, my next Q is, does this happen with all brands of B-50 complex?
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Fun Words We Can Say Together From The Merriam Webster Online Dictionary (turn up your speakers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='triceptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:41 PM']as with others, my next Q is, does this happen with all brands of B-50 complex?

[snapback]281597[/snapback]

[/quote]

Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the b-50 complex.. does it have that orange/yellow color coating? and of the individual B componemts that you have taken individually.. do they also share that same color coating.. ornageish yellow so typical of B vitamins
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='triceptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 12:55 PM']the b-50 complex.. does it have that orange/yellow color coating? and of the individual B componemts that you have taken individually.. do they also share* that same color coating.. ornageish yellow so typical of B vitamins

[snapback]281602[/snapback]

[/quote]

The B-50 I currently have is a twinlab brand which contains capsules, the contents of the capsules is yellowish (the riboflavin I assume) other brands have been tablets and they have sometimes been colored by the means of iron and titanium oxide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact that you notice that lump feeling at the base of the neck area and your feelings of hypothermia make me suspicious that something in the B-complex you are taking is having some action on your thyroid. B-6 is important to thyroid function. I'm wondering if a filler or coating is having the undesired effect? Hypothyroid can cause brain-fog and effect cognition as a result of the shutting down of peripheral blood flow to the brain. Another symptom is also anxiety. How about these symptoms..

ringing in the ears

tingling in the extremeties like pinky fingers or small toes

cold feet, especialy at night

also, do your symptoms seem to be worst in the early morning and begin to normalize later in the day
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='triceptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 01:02 PM']the fact that you notice that lump feeling at the base of the neck area and your feelings of hypothermia make me suspicious that something in the B-complex you are taking is having some action on your thyroid. B-6 is important to thyroid function. I'm wondering if a filler or coating is having the undesired effect? Hypothyroid can cause brain-fog and effect cognition as a result of the shutting down of peripheral blood flow to the brain. Another symptom is also anxiety. How about these symptoms..

ringing in the ears

tingling in the extremeties like pinky fingers or small toes

cold feet, especialy at night

also, do your symptoms seem to be worst in the early morning and begin to normalize later in the day

[snapback]281606[/snapback]

[/quote]

ringing in the ears - not that I can think of.

tingling in the extremeties like pinky fingers or small toes - nope.

cold feet, especialy at night - possibly, not sure.

The symptoms do appear to be worst in the early part of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This page is interesting regarding B vitamins, but offers virtually nothing in the terms of references.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='ATB' date='Nov 13 2005, 11:04 AM']This page might be of use to you:

http://www.holistichealthtopics.com/HMG/Bvitamin.html

[snapback]281572[/snapback]

[/quote]

This page is actually very interesting and it has given me some good pointers, though some the accretions made are questionable given the referenced literature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to test if it is thyroid functioning you should try some kind of thyroid test. You can take 12.5mcg T3 a day for a few weeks and see if that clears up your symptoms. 12.5mcg a day isn't really enough to get major side effects in case it isn't, but it should help stabalize thyroid levels if you are low.

You should also take your temperature (preferably via the underarm) right when you wake up. If it is lower than 97.8F that also points to the idea that it could be thyroid functioning.

http://www.vrp.com/art/561.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='Raptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 01:29 PM']This page is interesting regarding B vitamins, but offers virtually nothing in the terms of references.

[snapback]281612[/snapback]

[/quote]

this article clearly implicates long term high doses of B6 to eventually impair thyroid function through a shift int he T4/T3 ratios that eventually cauee hypothyroidism.

This is very intersting and deserves additional research. This may be your issue. Your symptoms sound like they are thyroid related - hypo. And if there is a very low level of free T3, the symptoms are similar to hypothyroidism.

Vitamin B6 supplementation on a long-term basis has the potential to eventually lower thyroid functions even more, although a brief boost will

still take place every time Vitamin B6 is injected or taken orally.* In addition, Vitamin B6 will only affect T4 (thyroxine) levels, but no conversion to T3 (triiodothyronine) takes place - causing a T3 / T4 thyroid ratio conflict,
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='Juche' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:23 PM']If you want to test if it is thyroid functioning you should try some kind of thyroid test. You can take 12.5mcg T3 a day for a few weeks and see if that clears up your symptoms. 12.5mcg a day isn't really enough to get major side effects in case it isn't, but it should help stabalize thyroid levels if you are low.

You should also take your temperature (preferably via the underarm) right when you wake up. If it is lower than 97.8F that also points to the idea that it could be thyroid functioning.

http://www.vrp.com/art/561.asp

[snapback]281639[/snapback]

[/quote]

I agree with body temp as an indicator to get tested, however, a better method of evaluating the thyroid is to have TSH, total and free T3 and T4 tested. as well as iodine levels
    </a>
    Super Human Radio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote name='triceptor' date='Nov 13 2005, 03:26 PM']

I agree with body temp as an indicator to get tested, however, a better method of evaluating the thyroid is to have TSH, total and free T3 and T4 tested. as well as iodine levels

[snapback]281641[/snapback]

[/quote]

Yeah, he should get the test.

Thread Information