User Tag List

Thread: Rib injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little over a week ago I was mountain biking, went over a jump and totally wiped out. Bruise on the quad, presumably where it hit the handle bar, my thumb got bent back hard (so I won't be doing any lifts where I have to hold on to the bar for a while), and I bruised a rib or something, which is what I am worried about.

At first I thought it was a pulled lat muscle but it was deeper. I figured it wasn't a big deal, that it would heal in time, but it seems to be getting worse. Up until today it primarily hurt if I was lying down and was getting up or when I sneezed. Now today if I breathe in deeply it hurts, more in the front of the chest.

I don't need to hear "see a doctor immediately" as I already have a doctor appoitment but he wasn't available until Wednesday. My question is could this be anything other than a bruised rib. If it was fractured or something wouldn't I have been able to tell much sooner? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any ideas, if it could be something really serious I should probably see a doctor sooner.
    -David Tolson
    My articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shpongled' date='Jul 29 2004, 02:06 PM
    A little over a week ago I was mountain biking, went over a jump and totally wiped out. Bruise on the quad, presumably where it hit the handle bar, my thumb got bent back hard (so I won't be doing any lifts where I have to hold on to the bar for a while), and I bruised a rib or something, which is what I am worried about.

At first I thought it was a pulled lat muscle but it was deeper. I figured it wasn't a big deal, that it would heal in time, but it seems to be getting worse. Up until today it primarily hurt if I was lying down and was getting up or when I sneezed. Now today if I breathe in deeply it hurts, more in the front of the chest.

I don't need to hear "see a doctor immediately" as I already have a doctor appoitment but he wasn't available until Wednesday. My question is could this be anything other than a bruised rib. If it was fractured or something wouldn't I have been able to tell much sooner? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any ideas, if it could be something really serious I should probably see a doctor sooner.
    Ribs are funny creatures. I cracked/broke 2 ribs in a jump and had only mild discomfort (nice bruise though) until I tried to do pullups 2 days later and collapsed flat on my back (another knot on the head from that too) I could not get up even with assistance. 1 hour later the xrays reveals clean seperation of the ribs on the left side. Took 4 months to heal adequately.

If the ribs are not moveable by manipulation you could have anything from a minor sprain (albeiit wwith extreme pain) to broken ribs. Only xrays or similar technology can tell. On the other hand it is often better to have broken ribs than a severe sprain (with attendant buildup of scar tissue) as that can last a lifetime.

David, you have been nice to me at bulk nutrition so it is regrettable that I am hereby making you worry more than you were.

So as a more optimistic parting shot, the above described sprain is very rare or the knowledge would be more widespread. Mine passed although I did not do pullups the next 10 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shpongled' date='Jul 29 2004, 02:06 PM

primarily hurt if I was lying down and was getting up or when I sneezed. Now today if I breathe in deeply it hurts, more in the front of the chest.

My question is could this be anything other than a bruised rib. If it was fractured or something wouldn't I have been able to tell much sooner? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and has any ideas, if it could be something really serious I should probably see a doctor sooner.
    your symptoms don't sound good man. first off, there is no such thing as a bruised rib. you don't "bruise" ribs. there are several orthopedic exams a qualified physician can do. if these exam(s) comes out positive for a fracture, then a standard x-ray films are taken to see any visible fractures. Another Dx in your case could be an intercostal sprain/strain which would be much easier to treat and heal. but yeah, only a proper exam from a doctor can diagnose your case for certain. everyone's case is different so i wouldn't rely on people's experiences or trying to guess your diagnoses over the WWW w/o a proper exam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got back from the doctor. They said that some cartilage was damaged or something around my ribcage. Also my thumb is sprained. They told me to take 2400 mg ibuprofin a day which seems like a huge amount. I also have to go really light on the lifting for a while. It wasn't anything serious though, thankfully.
    -David Tolson
    My articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shpongled' date='Aug 4 2004, 06:25 PM
    I just got back from the doctor. They said that some cartilage was damaged or something around my ribcage. Also my thumb is sprained. They told me to take 2400 mg ibuprofin a day which seems like a huge amount. I also have to go really light on the lifting for a while. It wasn't anything serious though, thankfully.
    sounds like you went to a generic MD with a generic tx of pills. let me ask you, what orthopedic and palpatory exams did he/she do to rule in an intercostal sprain/strain and rule out a fracture? you do know ibuprofen won't do shit for treatment, right? hope you don't have lifetime residual problems with your thumb and ICM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they listened to my breathing and pressed around on my chest for a while. It hurt when the back and front was pressed at the same time but not the front by itself.

I was wondering about the ibuprofin, figured because of the antiinflammatory effect it woudl help.

What type of doctor should I go to? I will probably give it a week to see if it improves.
    -David Tolson
    My articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you get X-rays? that is the minimum. anyway you need to ice the place, EMS it with microcurrent if available to hasten recovery (references are available if needed) and megadose on glucosamin/chondroitin for the next two months (shown to improve cartlage restoration, Connective Tissue Part 4:Glycosaminoglycans by Elzi Volk )

If its only cartilage damage you shouldnt stop training. it could be though either a broken rib or a muscle tear/partial tear/tenson inflamation/damage at your QL/Iliocostalis pars toracis which attach to the ribs and act as stabilzers at pullups

do good mornings, even with empty bar hurt? (try to create tension from your lower to your upper back when doing them) if they do then its the QL/IPT probably.

EDIT: I should write an article for avant on back injuries. thats my hobby right now. (that and ITBS)
    Man on a mission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shpongled' date='Aug 4 2004, 07:35 PM
    Well they listened to my breathing and pressed around on my chest for a while. It hurt when the back and front was pressed at the same time but not the front by itself.

I was wondering about the ibuprofin, figured because of the antiinflammatory effect it woudl help.

What type of doctor should I go to? I will probably give it a week to see if it improves.
    listening to your lungs is a good start. sounds like they did some chest and rib compressions which should be standard for your complaint. did you point to the exact area of complaint/pain for the doc while he was compressing? did he have your clothes off to exam the surrounding tissue with his hands? also very important is the use of a 512hz tuning fork at the area of complaint to rule in/out a fracture. x-rays would only be taken if these exams comes out positive esp with the tuning fork(which is a dead give away for rib fracture).

but yeah, ibuprofen is only good for inflammation and pain if you actually need it. otherwise, specific physical rehab that includes stretches, exercises, and MRT should be started asap if it's not a fracture.

what type of doctor should you go see? If it's a musculoskeletal complaint, how about a doc that specializes in the musculoskeletal system. you wouldn't go to a podiatrist for teeth problems would you? take care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I am thinking I should definitely get a second opinion on this.

I am going to do some light lifting today (30% of normal weights) and see how that goes. Any sharp pain and I will stop.

I pointed to the exact area, I don't recall if he pulled up my shirt to look at it though.

The ibuprofin has completely stopped the pain in my thumb, but I still have pain in my chest.
    -David Tolson
    My articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh its in the front ribs... sorry. I though back. then it couldnt be QL/Iliocostalis but can be intercosals like mentioned.

anyway my nutrition/microcurrent sugestions are still valid.
    Man on a mission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin

My thumb seems to be completely healed now, at least there is no pain.

I did a few good mornings with just the bar yesterday, no problem. Today I am going to try a chin-up or two.
    -David Tolson
    My articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liorrh' post='175033' date='Aug 5 2004, 12:41 PM

did you get X-rays? that is the minimum. anyway you need to ice the place, EMS it with microcurrent if available to hasten recovery (references are available if needed) and megadose on glucosamin/chondroitin for the next two months (shown to improve cartlage restoration, Connective Tissue Part 4:Glycosaminoglycans by Elzi Volk )

If its only cartilage damage you shouldnt stop training. it could be though either a broken rib or a muscle tear/partial tear/tenson inflamation/damage at your QL/Iliocostalis pars toracis which attach to the ribs and act as stabilzers at pullups

do good mornings, even with empty bar hurt? (try to create tension from your lower to your upper back when doing them) if they do then its the QL/IPT probably.

EDIT: I should write an article for avant on back injuries. thats my hobby right now. (that and ITBS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to find information on the effects of glucosamine and chondroitin or other natural substances in healing rib fractures and intracostal injuries. You suggested above to mega-dose on these two substances for 2 months. Can you direct me to published info in this? I have friend who was in a nasy accident 1 1/2 years ago and is still in pain. My suspicion is that it may be partly emotional, but have suggested GAGs and even gave him a bottle. He gave it back stating he was afraid to mx it with the rx's he's on. So, I need more info on that too.

Thread Information